Wrong internal storage compression?
579 2 2022-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raulraul
New

Romania

Hello!
How come the internal storage will only be good for 55 minutes on HD video (30 frames/s)?!
A regular 32GB card should hold 3-4 hours of video. I see the internal available storage at 22GB, so that should give us more than 2 hours!
Why do I get less than an hour?
By my calculation DJI eats 22GB in 55 minutes, that is 400MB per minute. THAT is CRAZY!!! That should be for FullHD at 240frames/s, not 30 frames!
What can I do to use better compression? I am already using the HEVC mode, doesn't do much ..
Changing from HEVC to h264 gives me exactly the same 55 minutes 41 seconds! So not even 1 second better.
2022-1-16
Use props
MadJackal
lvl.2
Russia

Not only time and fps make sense, bitrate make huge impact on file size. As an example you can download movie in 1.5GB file or 10GB+ file.
In my files with 2,7k/50@ 16:9 , bitrate ~ 67Mbit/s and 2 minutes video has almost 1GB size
67Mbit/s /8 * 120s ~= 1000MB  => no magic

in other video with the same settings bitrate are 80Mbit/s, so bitrate is not a constant so video with same length may have different size

cam didn't recalculate remaining time after change settings of codec even after turnoff (this is another bug in firmware) if you change codec and make a 1-2sec video, after rec stop you will see that remain time changed. in my test i received about +2min to length with HEVC on empty internal storage

2022-1-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Don't forget that low res files are also created, and no, that can't be turned off.
2022-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules