Is this landing gear safe to use? (need official answer)
1202 10 2022-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616070 ft
  • >>>
Montenegro

Well I have been shooting a lot of regatas and I need my drone to land on a rib or ususaly some small boat.
Currently I'm using my Phantom 4 Pro and his legs realy help a lot to catch it on a small boat, but Mavic is a bit harder and realy dont want to cut someone while boat is moving.

I found this thing to help me out, and principle is great, but it does come in a view of those sensors and i dont want it to be mistakend as a floor and while I throtle down in the air to shut down motors. This thing hapened to a lot of  Phantoms who had these type of accesories under them.  

Anyone from DJI to confirm me if this addon is safe to use?

2022-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If its effecting sensors its not good it could also effect your warranty if it showed on logs if you had a crash. Using M3 in brake mode is best for hand catching. I would recommend putting into sport mode as your coming into land. If possible just have a second person ready to catch.
2022-1-17
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I honestly wonder why do you feel you need to spend your money on something that negatively affects your drone's flying characteristic and which can be - quite literally - achieved for free and with your bare hands.  Hand landing is as easy and safe as it can possibly be...
2022-1-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it lands remotely, wouldn't that likely cause damage?
2022-1-17
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616070 ft
  • >>>
Montenegro

DarthSLR Posted at 1-17 15:57
I honestly wonder why do you feel you need to spend your money on something that negatively affects your drone's flying characteristic and which can be - quite literally - achieved for free and with your bare hands.  Hand landing is as easy and safe as it can possibly be...

Have you ever landed your drone on a rib with waves ?
I always land my drones in hand, but on a small rib its not as easy as you think trust me
2022-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-17 16:14
Have you ever landed your drone on a rib with waves ?
I always land my drones in hand, but on a small rib its not as easy as you think trust me

You’re right its no easy and if you have help that helps. The principle behind what you’re using is good so if you can position it where it won’t effect sensors great or can you shorten it. Longer front landing gear could be an option but you may need two hands. But I find fast pluck out of the air is quickest and best way. Don’t get me wrong on rough days it can be very tricky .

2022-1-17
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-17 16:14
Have you ever landed your drone on a rib with waves ?
I always land my drones in hand, but on a small rib its not as easy as you think trust me

You got me there.
No, never on anything moving. I did it a few times in a very strong wind, but I'm not sure that counts.
I understand that on a rocking base you might need something like that.
2022-1-17
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 1-17 16:00
If it lands remotely, wouldn't that likely cause damage?

Apparently it's for a naval application, so probably remote landing means drowning.
2022-1-17
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

lollipop landing gear I could see that thing getting out of balance and chopping you faster than you can drive to the Emergency Dept.
2022-1-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How can you expect DJI to vouch for the safety of something that they do not sell when you yourself already seem concerned about it interfering  with sensors?
2022-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Goran_m_pg. Good and thank you for reaching out.  DJI does not recommend you to use 3rd party accessories like Landing Gear on your DJI Mavic 3 or modify your DJI product. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2022-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules