Aircraft not connected to RC error
10158 30 2022-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droney_baloney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486 ft
United States

Error on RC Pro: "Aircraft not connected to RC". I was able to control the aircraft without any changes but the video feed ended almost immediately after take off. Video of the device disconected while flying:
The drone was only a few feet away from me, luckily. But on the other hand, I thought it was pretty strange to have issues given the proximity. Also this flight was rural: was shooting one house on over ten acres of land so I was not expecting interference or any issues like this.

I then went into the city to film about an hour later and had no connection issues at all.

Any idea why this happened/suggestions for settings to change? I'm not feeling too confident with the RC Pro/Air 2S pair now as this was only my second flight with both devices (but have been flying Phantom 4 Pro's for about 4 years now and have only had this happen 2-3 over the course of hundreds of flights with those).
2022-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there droney_baloney. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to relink your DJI RC Pro to your DJI Air 2S to see if the issue will still persist? Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2022-1-18
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-18 20:38
Hello there droney_baloney. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to relink your DJI RC Pro to your DJI Air 2S to see if the issue will still persist? Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I relinked and also updated the firmware. I flew today (fourth flight) and had both video transmission and aircraft control loss twice, both times when very close and in another remote area. See here:

Going to return. 50% flight success rate in the first week is terrible start.
2022-1-21
Use props
djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS
lvl.1

United States

I am having the exact same issue. Air 2s and RC pro will not stay connected. I have submitted a repair ticket and it’s being sent to the Fort Worth center. I hope this issue is fixed and soon!
2022-1-22
Use props
djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-18 20:38

I’m having the same issue. Do you have any advice?
I’ve got a new air 2s fly more combo with RC pro from B&H. At first it worked fine but after a few flights I’m getting more and more of these “aircraft not connected to RC” errors. Not sure what to do. I’m scared to fly it and lose connection. I’ve made a repair request online so may be sending it in for fixing. Just sucks have to wait longer to fly my new drone.
2022-1-23
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hope the RC Pro firmware released fixes the issue. DJI created a new RC Pro category as well. Keeping my eyes on this issue as I’m going to get the controller now that the new firmware is available.
2022-1-23
Use props
djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS
lvl.1

United States

I did the update. Mine still does the “aircraft not connected to RC”.
Doesn’t work
2022-1-24
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS Posted at 1-24 11:26
I did the update. Mine still does the “aircraft not connected to RC”.
Doesn’t work

Dang. Sorry to hear that. I'm sending mine back today. Wonder if anyone is having this issue with the standard controllers. Might try buying the fly more combo with standard controller instead and seeing if that's more reliable. Don't like flying via phone though so probably will try out a TripLtek w/ it. If it's reliable it should be just as good as what the RC Pro promised.
2022-1-24
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

droney_baloney Posted at 1-24 12:00
Dang. Sorry to hear that. I'm sending mine back today. Wonder if anyone is having this issue with the standard controllers. Might try buying the fly more combo with standard controller instead and seeing if that's more reliable. Don't like flying via phone though so probably will try out a TripLtek w/ it. If it's reliable it should be just as good as what the RC Pro promised.

Personally I have not seen this issue with the standard controller using my iPhone or iPad. But also I don't recall or have read anyone having these severe issues with the standard controller. If there were early issues with not being connected, it was resolved quickly as that would have been disastrous for both DJI and customers.
2022-1-24
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-24 13:29
Personally I have not seen this issue with the standard controller using my iPhone or iPad. But also I don't recall or have read anyone having these severe issues with the standard controller. If there were early issues with not being connected, it was resolved quickly as that would have been disastrous for both DJI and customers.

That's reassuring. Went with the regular controller. Fingers crossed.
2022-1-24
Use props
djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS
lvl.1

United States

Seems most people have no issues with the Rc pro and drone combo otherwise there would be tons of complaints. I think it’s a safe bet to still get the combo. Pretty sure I just got a dud, at least I’m hoping that’s the case. Will update when I find out what they do for me. I sent mine back today and they get Wednesday.
2022-1-24
Use props
SkipHall
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS Posted at 1-24 17:50
Seems most people have no issues with the Rc pro and drone combo otherwise there would be tons of complaints. I think it’s a safe bet to still get the combo. Pretty sure I just got a dud, at least I’m hoping that’s the case. Will update when I find out what they do for me. I sent mine back today and they get Wednesday.

I got a disconnect on my new Air2S  Fly More kit a day or two ago. I wrote it off to a newbie error of some sort. No problems at all before that. When I saw it appear I almost had a heart attack, but RTH called my drone back without incident.  Error message remained on the screen despite the controller seeming to be talking to the aircraft.
2022-1-25
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

SkipHall Posted at 1-25 00:25
I got a disconnect on my new Air2S  Fly More kit a day or two ago. I wrote it off to a newbie error of some sort. No problems at all before that. When I saw it appear I almost had a heart attack, but RTH called my drone back without incident.  Error message remained on the screen despite the controller seeming to be talking to the aircraft.

Was this incident while using the standard fly more controller or the RC Pro one?
2022-1-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I got a disconnect on my new Air2S  Fly More kit a day or two ago. I wrote it off to a newbie error of some sort. No problems at all before that. When I saw it appear I almost had a heart attack, but RTH called my drone back without incident.  Error message remained on the screen despite the controller seeming to be talking to the aircraft.

For clarity which controller was supplied?
If the normal one where you need a phone then you need to take note of which type of disconnection you are suffering, there are 'two'.
A) the phone disconnects from the controller, or
b) the drone disconnects from the controller.I suppose you could argue there is a third type when a) and b) happen simultaneously but I will concentrate on a) and b).

a) leaves you in command of the drone via the controller but you will have no live picture nor telemetry.
b) leaves you with no control at all and the automated failsafe behaviour should be triggered. Read the manual to find out what that is and what options there are. Be wary of pressing any RTH button during this because if the drone and controller have established a connection then pressing the RTH button may cancel the on going RTH. During a failsafe RTH it is perhaps better to leave things alone until you are certain the drone/controller connection has been re-established and that you 'have control' before you can cancel the RTH.

The two disconnection messages are similar though not identical and you need to be able to distinguish between them. With the phone not connected to the controller boot the app and open the camera view, read carefully the disconnected error at the top of the screen.
With out interfering with the screen connect the drone to the controller and boot the controller, compare the new disconnected error message with the one you saw earlier.

2022-1-25
Use props
djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS
lvl.1

United States

That’s how it started with mine. Got it once, then was fine for a bit then just kept happening more and more often. I have the air 2s with RC pro combo.
2022-1-25
Use props
MGMason
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56371 ft
United States

I THINK I had a disconnect happen for the first time yesterday using my iPhone as a controller. 1/2 of my controls were not working. No throttle (up/down left stick)  No forward back (right stick) but I still had roll and yaw on both sticks.  I was able to initiate RTH manually after a couple of times pressing the RTH button, but maybe it just did it on it's on. Fortunately when this happened it was hovering at 8' about 10' away. I could have grabbed it. Anyway, once the RTH started I let it go towards home and canceled. Then I had full control. I played back the flight log and did not see my RTH command so I think it did it on it's on. It's VERY concerning since I"m at the beach and this behavior keeps me from flying over water.
2022-1-27
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

MGMason Posted at 1-27 06:20
I THINK I had a disconnect happen for the first time yesterday using my iPhone as a controller. 1/2 of my controls were not working. No throttle (up/down left stick)  No forward back (right stick) but I still had roll and yaw on both sticks.  I was able to initiate RTH manually after a couple of times pressing the RTH button, but maybe it just did it on it's on. Fortunately when this happened it was hovering at 8' about 10' away. I could have grabbed it. Anyway, once the RTH started I let it go towards home and canceled. Then I had full control. I played back the flight log and did not see my RTH command so I think it did it on it's on. It's VERY concerning since I"m at the beach and this behavior keeps me from flying over water.

Check out this video, and more importantly the amount of people saying they have the same issue in the comments section. Same error message with or without RC Pro.

Definitely not just us in this thread!

2022-1-28
Use props
djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS
lvl.1

United States

After I sent mine back for them to repair, it still has the same problem. They claimed to have changed the Rc pro motherboard but it still disconnects the same.
2022-2-13
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_weeuhYOMLIrS Posted at 2-13 19:11
After I sent mine back for them to repair, it still has the same problem. They claimed to have changed the Rc pro motherboard but it still disconnects the same.

Sorry to hear that. I had a weird suspicion that would happen if I sent mine in.

I replaced mine with the standard controller fly more bundle and after six flights so far, no disconnects. I think it's the RC Pro. Just based on my personal experience though...
2022-2-13
Use props
SkyPirate007
lvl.1
Flight distance : 329698 ft

United States

Mine is now doing the same thing, I have RC Pro Controller, I got mine from BH Photo with a fly more bundle. My first flights were awesome, no issues, once the updates started happening that's where the issues started happening with loosing connection on every flight.
2022-2-14
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

You can add me to the list.  I just got a standalone RC Pro and it won't stay connected to my A2S literally 3 ft. away on my desk.  Scary stuff.
2022-2-14
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Please everyone who can update the Fly App in the RC Pro to 1.5.10 and see if that has any effect on this issue.  I would, but mine is in the shop.  Thanks.
2022-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dr6583 Posted at 2-21 12:55
Please everyone who can update the Fly App in the RC Pro to 1.5.10 and see if that has any effect on this issue.  I would, but mine is in the shop.  Thanks.

Disconnects with app or for that matter anything to do with app is never itemized in bug fixes and it’s likely it won’t be here either. But its most likely app was optimized because of these issues. If you read your warranty app is not covered and its seen as responsibility of the user.
2022-2-21
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-21 14:50
Disconnects with app or for that matter anything to do with app is never itemized in bug fixes and it’s likely it won’t be here either. But its most likely app was optimized because of these issues. If you read your warranty app is not covered and its seen as responsibility of the user.

Yeah, pretty much all software is licensed like that unless you can get a "support" option with the deal which usually costs extra.
2022-2-21
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

Just had several disconnects at about 40ft away yesterday on my replacement Air 2S fly more standard controller combo. It would just not hold a connection. I had updated firmware and app before flying so everything was up to date. So maybe not only an issue with the RC Pro. I'm stumped.

Luckily had my Phantom 4 Pro as back up and flew it immediately after taking the Air2S down since I had a client with me and it was a time sensitive shoot. Not a single issue during two flights at the exact same location with the P4P. Just got an RMA for the Air 2S.
2022-3-1
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

droney_baloney Posted at 3-1 08:20
Just had several disconnects at about 40ft away yesterday on my replacement Air 2S fly more standard controller combo. It would just not hold a connection. I had updated firmware and app before flying so everything was up to date. So maybe not only an issue with the RC Pro. I'm stumped.

Luckily had my Phantom 4 Pro as back up and flew it immediately after taking the Air2S down since I had a client with me and it was a time sensitive shoot. Not a single issue during two flights at the exact same location with the P4P. Just got an RMA for the Air 2S.

That is very interesting.  Ever since my A2S and RC-N1 started linking up correctly with the new method, which configures the controller for O3, I have the best signal so far (range too.). My problem was strictly with the RC pro and A2S.  I am receiving a replacement RC pro today.  I'm interested in seeing the results.

If it still disconnects, I'll get an RTA for the A2S.  Who knows.

Edit - I have received the new RC pro (shrink wrapped box).  I seamlesslessly activated it and updated it to the latest firmware.  When I went to link it to the A2S, I got a "firmware mismatch" message.  I say message not error because I think it is by design.  It then downloaded something small to the controller, which appeared to be telling the controller which drone to configure itself for.  It then said the controller would restart, (it did not) but when I manually restarted it and manually paired it, it binded and worked without a hiccup.  No more Aircraft not connected to RC errors.

In fairness, It did briefly lose video feed about 2900 ft but I was able to get it back within seconds.  Probably antenna orientation.  Didn't fly any farther out than that, but I was at 393 ft up and I managed a perfect landing with no RTH, something i need to do more of.  So at least in my case a new RC Pro reolved the issue.

I think the key to having the software properly function is getting that "firmware mismatch" message anytime you change drones on the controller (or link one for the first time.). I believe that is also the case for the RC-N1 IIRC.

2022-3-1
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

dr6583 Posted at 3-1 09:38
That is very interesting.  Ever since my A2S and RC-N1 started linking up correctly with the new method, which configures the controller for O3, I have the best signal so far (range too.). My problem was strictly with the RC pro and A2S.  I am receiving a replacement RC pro today.  I'm interested in seeing the results.

If it still disconnects, I'll get an RTA for the A2S.  Who knows.

Thanks for the update dr6583. Really glad the replacement is working out for you!

I'm not quite sure I'll replace mine with yet but if I get a third Air 2S (unlikely) I'll post an update here on its performance.
2022-3-7
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

Add me to the list. About two weeks ago I also purchased Air 2s with RC Pro from BH Photo. I likewise have the chronic mid-flight “aircraft not connected to RC” problem, even when I take off with great satellite lock and color camera view. Then it drops connection, video freezes and turns black & white, and I use RTH to bring it home. Some times, it will lose the connection on the landing pad or hovering in front of me. I have an RMA from BH Photo and I’m deciding what to do. Should I, while being so disappointed, take financial loss of the cost of my 2-year DJI Refresh and possible 15% restocking fee, or proceed with DJI service? In terms of working with this system, I cannot afford the time or inconvenience for example, of the user above, who had service of RC Pro that resulted in main board replacement, and then having the loss-of-connection problem persisting.

I’ve updated via WiFi and then DJI Assistant, after encountering problem I calibrated compass and IMU, and flown in my back yard and then out in the countryside. Same problem of losing connection even while flying nearby. I never went over 180 ft high and just hundreds of feet away. The firmware versions are the most current available for both the Air2s and RC Pro as of yesterday 13 May 2022. Still current today!

I’ve been a DJI customer since Phantom 2. Suggestions on whether to return to BH Photo for some refund or have it serviced are welcome. I must say that I had high but realistic hopes for this Air 2s with RC Pro combo as it is so convenient with fast setup and integration. These disconnects pose a safety issue.
2022-5-14
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

Evangeline Posted at 5-14 19:54
[view_image]

Add me to the list. About two weeks ago I also purchased Air 2s with RC Pro from BH Photo. I likewise have the chronic mid-flight “aircraft not connected to RC” problem, even when I take off with great satellite lock and color camera view. Then it drops connection, video freezes and turns black & white, and I use RTH to bring it home. Some times, it will lose the connection on the landing pad or hovering in front of me. I have an RMA from BH Photo and I’m deciding what to do. Should I, while being so disappointed, take financial loss of the cost of my 2-year DJI Refresh and possible 15% restocking fee, or proceed with DJI service? In terms of working with this system, I cannot afford the time or inconvenience for example, of the user above, who had service of RC Pro that resulted in main board replacement, and then having the loss-of-connection problem persisting.

Just to add that I have indeed relinked the Air 2s and RC Pro controller. I’m making the follow up post as there are difficulties editing my original post on mobile.
2022-5-14
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
United States

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this too. It sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting steps I did.

I would suggest maybe trying another one if you really are into the Air 2S just to make sure you didn't get a defective one (but maybe ordering from a different store since both of mine from B&H had this issue too). I wonder if they got a bad batch or something? Can't advise about the refresh stuff because I have always had third party insurance. I would say talking to B&H about what happened would likely have them waive that fee if not too far after purchase though.

I ended up sticking with my Phantom 4 Pro that has a defective gimbal (really bad jello). I can hide this via ND filters for now and will deal with the hassle because I felt that the Air 2S would not be safe or reliable enough for my professional work.

Not exactly sure what is best for you, but as of now (four months later), I am still glad that I returned both Air 2S units despite the P4P issues. I'd rather have issues with the camera than the connectivity on any drone (although it'd be great not to have to choose this at all). ...nice to have all that money back in my bank account too.

If you do try another one, let us know how it goes.
2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_ZXwe7pt9nDdr
New
Flight distance : 36129 ft
South Africa

Good evening
I am having the same problem I have tried to re link  RC and the drone with no luck

It has started by disconnecting while in motion
2023-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules