Cannot refit gimbal cover
580 9 2022-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smurfy
lvl.1

New Zealand

Hi all,

I'm a newbie (both to drone use and my first Mavic Air 2).
After familiarisation with the equipment, I find it impossible to refit the gimbal cover onto the gimbal for storeage.
It clips in to the front of the Air 2, and I centre the gimbal with the camera facing forwards, but the back appears to have no way of attaching.
There is a small plastic clip inside the cover which appears to lodge in between the gimbal and the drone housing, but no actual way of fastening.
Is there something missing from my drone, as this is the first time that I've tried to replace the cover, but with zero success ?

Any help from someone with similar issues would be greatly appreciated.
2022-1-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You may be doing it backwards. Clip the top in first and then snap the bottom in. It is a bit brutal. Push it up with your thumb.
2022-1-20
Use props
Smurfy
lvl.1

New Zealand

Thanks Gary.  I'm putting the top in first (the end with the 2 catches), but the other end (the bottom) has nothing to latch onto. It just pops back out and falls off.
What mechanism is supposed to keep it in place ?
2022-1-20
Use props
AvroTrain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375318 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pictures with it very close to air2?
2022-1-22
Use props
Smurfy
lvl.1

New Zealand

Sorry AvroTrain, I do not understand what you are asking ?
2022-1-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Smurfy Posted at 1-20 22:54
Thanks Gary.  I'm putting the top in first (the end with the 2 catches), but the other end (the bottom) has nothing to latch onto. It just pops back out and falls off.
What mechanism is supposed to keep it in place ?

Here is a photo of mine. The narrow extension on the guard slips into the cavity on the drone body. Pardon the dust on the cover. I fired my housekeeper....in 1993 ;-)
MA2 gimbal guard.jpg
2022-1-22
Use props
Smurfy
lvl.1

New Zealand

Thanks Gary.
My last reply to you got lost without being sent. I'll try one last time to make myself understood, or it's going back to my retailer to get sorted.
I can see the rear recess, and I realize that the cover is meant to stay in there, but it does not.
My question is:  What is the mechanism which keeps it  in place ?
Are the 2 clips at the front supposed to exert enough backwards pressure to keep the cover from falling off, or is there meant to be another clip somewhere to achieve this ?
My cover has a pair of hollow recesses facing backwards at 45 degrees which do not attach to anything.  Are they supposed to fit over something, or are they just for decoration or corner strengthening ?
Maybe I should just return my Air2 directly to the retailer, as I'm rapidly becoming frustrated with my $2,500 purchase.
2022-1-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Smurfy Posted at 1-22 21:05
Thanks Gary.
My last reply to you got lost without being sent. I'll try one last time to make myself understood, or it's going back to my retailer to get sorted.
I can see the rear recess, and I realize that the cover is meant to stay in there, but it does not.

It should fit tightly on the two places. It may be cracked or warped. I would not return the drone for that. More likely a fault with the cover. The two tubes on the rear seem to do nothing that I can see. To be honest I frequently leave the cover off.

Aftermarket covers are readily available cheap.

Anything else you don't like about the MA2?

2022-1-22
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I find I do have to push forward slightly on the concave section of the most rearward portion of the cover which seems to make it bend ever so slightly to fit into the groove on the frame.
2022-1-23
Use props
Smurfy
lvl.1

New Zealand

Cheers Gary.
I forgot to say that this drone is only 3 weeks old, and under warranty. Parts may be cheap for you, but in New Zealand they won't be (freight is a killer).
I'll just return it to my local retailer for them to sort out. I've only left the ground by a couple of feet so far, but once I get going I'll post some comments on this forum.
We're not off to a good start as far as DJI's quality control goes. It makes me wonder what other unseen internals may also be lacking.
Thanks for your input nonetheless.
2022-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules