4283 15 2022-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paride Musci
First Officer
Flight distance : 6103757 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I received the long awaited wide angle lens from Dji, below is a comparative video of the standard lens Vs wide angle lens that I invite you to watch.

Personal opinion, I don't like it, I thought it was a wide angle without too much distortion and not a fisheye, it should be corrected in post production, every time I mean.
The impression I got is that it only makes sense on a fixed camera that cannot be moved, on a drone absolutely not, just step back to get nearly the same result but without distortion and without having to land to change lenses.

Specs: unedited standard color profile, C5.1k H265 30fps

What do you think?

Pictures and videos samples: https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... -_-eJL5?usp=sharing
2022-1-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think Im in agreement with you,   Im not so keen on the look with the lens.
2022-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I cancelled my order am now waiting for an anamorphic lens, which I’m hoping will show some difference.
2022-1-21
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

You know! I don't think it is worth the extra expense. I reckon standard lens output video is excellent enough.
2022-1-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  I'm not a fan of that wide angle lens.
2022-1-21
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'll cancel my order. Just looks like a really high quality OG Phantom drone
2022-1-21
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just obtained my wide angle lens a couple of days ago, and I've had no opportunity to test it in flight because of work schedule and weather.  My hope is/was that it would fulfill a use case in photography, and I'm not certain it will (may have wasted some $$$).  I did find one individual who contributed to youtube saying that this lens was highly beneficial for onsite inspections, so some are finding constructive uses for the lens.

My indoor non-flight tests demonstrated the fish-eye effect that requires correction in post.
2022-1-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-21 02:04
I cancelled my order am now waiting for an anamorphic lens, which I’m hoping will show some difference.

... I am canceling this item from my wish list.     
2022-1-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thank you for this impressive comparison!!!
2022-1-21
Use props
Paride Musci
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

I started the return and it was accepted, now it's up to me to decide whether to send the lens back or keep it.
After yesterday's despair I do not deny that I am looking for any way to change my mind.
Let's start with the reasons why I bought it:
- I thought I was getting a more extreme wide angle than the one obtained, in reality I think it gives an advantage of 5-15m?
- I thought I would run into a little distortion of the image practically almost imperceptible, like the one you can have on the laowa 7.5mm MFT (15mm on FF) on a tripod and that I LOVE.
- it would be my workhorse for those times that I find myself having to shoot a large scene in a confined environment, where the drone is unable to back away too much.
I want to try experimenting with some plug-ins to correct the distortion in post and see if that's something I can accept. A few years ago I sold the gopro 7 because it did not have the 4k linear and I was forced to correct in post, it was something that bothered me a lot, in the end I replaced it with the 9 which has the 5k linear.
In addition, this lens costs quite a lot, it is very well made and I think the price can also be somehow justified, it is not a piece of plastic, at least in appearance.
2022-1-21
Use props
Paride Musci
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Charles Adams Posted at 1-21 04:46
I just obtained my wide angle lens a couple of days ago, and I've had no opportunity to test it in flight because of work schedule and weather.  My hope is/was that it would fulfill a use case in photography, and I'm not certain it will (may have wasted some $$$).  I did find one individual who contributed to youtube saying that this lens was highly beneficial for onsite inspections, so some are finding constructive uses for the lens.

My indoor non-flight tests demonstrated the fish-eye effect that requires correction in post.

yes, I think I saw a few seconds of that video too and it is for this reason that I was even more convinced of the purchase.
For inspections, for filming / photographs in an urban environment where it is impossible to go too far and end up flying over private properties, this lens is for the case, you accept the compromise and repair it in post production.
2022-1-21
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Maybe try to shoot the video a "little farther back", and then you can zoom and crop it down to 16/9 in post
2022-1-21
Use props
Paride Musci
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Flycaster Posted at 1-21 08:20
Maybe try to shoot the video a "little farther back", and then you can zoom and crop it down to 16/9 in post
The problem is that if I try to straighten the image, stretching it and leveling it, the final result is almost comparable to that of the standard lens, it is as if we went from 5-15m of gain to 2-6m, the wide lens isn't enough wide to be edited and to look more wide than a standard lens.
I think returning it is the best choice...
2022-1-21
Use props
Paride Musci
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

I added some pictures and video samples from my window in the video description if you want take a look, i have no time to go out for a flight at the moment.
2022-1-22
Use props
Solidarity
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool, been waiting for someone to do this, thank you.
2022-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good video!
2022-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now