MAVIC 3 smashed on the ceiling when active track engaged indoors
4588 16 2022-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4826f82b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81854 ft
United States

Last week I was flying my Mavic 3 indoors in a large room with good lighting. I decided to test the long awaiting new active tracking functions of the Mavic 3. I choose my self as object and the POI was working excellent. Then I choose active track and pressed “Go” the drone directly increased thrust and smashed up on the ceiling.

The drone new that there is a ceiling there because I was testing the object avoidance before the incident in all directions. The object avoidance mode was “break” and not “by pass”

The authorised dealer in UAE told me that since the drone is crashed it is my responsibility and it will take a while to repair it since he doesn't have spare parts.

I am deeply upset with DJI for bringing in the market an unfinished product. It's not only that I scratched and break my new favorite item, but also is the trust that I lost on this product. Even if I repair it, I won't have the trust to do the things that this device was advertised can do.

In my career of robotics engineer which I am using, building, programming drones, and working DJI products daily, I never had a crush that was not my mistake. Maybe I trusted that DJI will at least deliver what the Mavic 2 series use to do without trouble.

This is my feedback to DJI development team to fix this issue, and also to the product team to plan better for their next products.  

Best regards,
Nikolaos
2022-1-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Nikolaos. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mavic 3, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-1-21
Use props
fans4826f82b
lvl.1
United States

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for you sympathy. Are you going to pass the information with firmware bug to the development team? Because the main goal of my post is my feedback to DJI and to protect other users, not to resolve my damaged Mavic 3.
2022-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

In my career of robotics engineer which I am using, building, programming drones, and working DJI products daily, I never had a crash that was not my mistake.
You have now.
Attempting to use active track indoors was a big mistake, and just asking for trouble..
2022-1-21
Use props
wittmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667408 ft
Australia

Yeah I'd have to say - who really activates a drone indoors?  You're a thrill seeker!
2022-1-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wittmann Posted at 1-21 03:46
Yeah I'd have to say - who really activates a drone indoors?  You're a thrill seeker!

A lot of people fly indoors and they are not thrill seekers. I have done it 100's of time when testing features, I have even flown a Phantom 3 indoors and compared to Mavics they DRIFT and need VERY careful control.
As for trying active track indoors, personally I wouldn't but we don't know the OP's situation, maybe "large room" is a huge warehouse etc. That said, just wondering, is there an intitial minimum height and an in-progress minimum height, does it require GPS?
2022-1-21
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The M3 is too big for me to be comfortable flying indoors.  I loved the Mini for that use case.

I don't yet trust active track+obstacle avoidance on this drone, and I'm hoping that future firmware updates will increase capabilities and build my trust.
2022-1-21
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I mean, I don't use active track outdoors because it's not reliable.. Indoors you're asking for a trouble.

Open a ticket with DJI, send it in, they won't charge much for repairs.
2022-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-21 04:29
A lot of people fly indoors and they are not thrill seekers. I have done it 100's of time when testing features, I have even flown a Phantom 3 indoors and compared to Mavics they DRIFT and need VERY careful control.
As for trying active track indoors, personally I wouldn't but we don't know the OP's situation, maybe "large room" is a huge warehouse etc. That said, just wondering, is there an intitial minimum height and an in-progress minimum height, does it require GPS?

That said, just wondering, does it require GPS?
Do you really need to ask?
2022-1-21
Use props
fans4826f82b
lvl.1
United States

I have a pretty large space indoors to test my drones and run my experiments:
Kinesis Laboratory https://youtu.be/7mcvvPVJmsA

I am using the Mavic 2 pro to record my experiments all the time. And yes Mavic 3 is capable of doing active track without GPS or else it should not enter this mode.

DB5C809E-4A91-4534-9187-D789140DC97B.jpeg
2022-1-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-21 05:20
Do you really need to ask?

Yes, I do not know. If you do know why not give the answer.

In https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... typeid%3D556&page=1
you asked GaryDoug "What's with all the snarky posts lately?"
I would suggest that some of your own recent posts have been appalling.
Yes you know your stuff and you help people and I respect you for that .......but do you need to be so constantly ......... snarky.......yourself.

Thanks for an answer fans4826f82b

2022-1-21
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If you set the M3 to active track and the OA picks up obstacles it will rise to avoid it. Hence you do not use Active track indoors. The Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 have different OA systems of which the Mavic 3 is much more sensitive so in the future do not try this at home.
2022-1-21
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Ukraine

Suren Posted at 1-21 10:21
If you set the M3 to active track and the OA picks up obstacles it will rise to avoid it. Hence you do not use Active track indoors. The Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 have different OA systems of which the Mavic 3 is much more sensitive so in the future do not try this at home.

Yes, it will rise to avoid it, but how about upward sensors? I think they should stop the drone from rising into the ceiling.
2022-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I take it you ignored the manual advice. Really if you want to know what happened you should post the flight log.
2022-1-21
Use props
Jovanthan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45364 ft
Taiwan

It needs ultrasonic sensors on the top to detect the ceiling, in my opinion I t’s way too hard to ask cameras or even LiDAR to distinguishing the differences between the sky and the ceiling, I’ve flown it indoor several times too, just sharing my thoughts.
2022-1-21
Use props
djiuser_jnShGpESMdaK
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-21 04:29

Like a few people said "not very wise" to activate active track indoors.  
2022-1-22
Use props
Solidarity
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m so sorry that’s weird that the sensors didn’t pick it up.
2022-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules