Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeroyWolf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84288 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hey guys,

So i've just bought the Mavic 3 two days ago and took it for it's third flight.
I was doing a mastershot and the drone/camera already started wobling slowly as you can see here: https://youtu.be/XTbHaXImxpI
That isn't supposed to happen ofcourse so i cancelled it and wanted to check if i did something wrong tracking wise.
When i was watching on my screen, the drone suddenly started to fly away out of nowhere in a straight line. I didn't touch anything on the controller.
When it flew away i tried taking back control but it didn't respond at all. I tried turning on video recording again so it would atleast film it but no response.
"Luckily" it flew into a tree and the motors kept going. Eventually it felt down with broken propellors (one completely gone) and i lost my ND filter.

I've never experienced this with any of my drones (started with the DJI Phantom 1). And seeing this happen with my brand new Mavic 3 pro annoyrs the heck out of me. Especially because it wasn't my own fault but a software/product error.

Here's a screenrecording of the flight log: https://youtu.be/TmBxltBHUXw
I don't know how to share an actual log.
Don't see any sharing button inside the app :S

Would love to see a reaction from the team.
Cheers,

Leroy
2022-1-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There have been a few reports of this happening,   make sure you open a case as most have been replaced for free.
2022-1-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Leroy,

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog.

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the uploaded link on here, or just put a cloud link to your log.

cheers
JJB
2022-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Its very similar to another case on this forum. If you can post flight log it might help find out what happened.
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The incident description is interesting but the details hidden in the data are needed to tell what actually happened.

I don't know how to share an actual log.
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2022-1-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Same as my drone. While doing a master shots my drone flew away never to be seen again. Seems that there could be a bug in master shots that is causing this although I have only till now seen 2 issues- mine and yours. It is scary but Dji will do the right thing like they did with me and fix it and replace your drone it it is damaged.
2022-1-22
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Quite obviously this is a known problem beyond the owner's control. The only 'right thing' DJI should be doing is to replace the lost/damaged drones 100% free of charge, without flyaway protection or care refresh. Also the public liabilities...
2022-1-22
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 1-22 13:00
Quite obviously this is a known problem beyond the owner's control. The only 'right thing' DJI should be doing is to replace the lost/damaged drones 100% free of charge, without flyaway protection or care refresh. Also the public liabilities...

had a long reply written out but i shorten it considerable.  obviously this does not appear to be the owner's fault.  however, im not sure what the law says about who is responsible in the event of a crash (ala "public liabilities")
2022-1-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I know it's a little different subject, but that wobble almost makes me seasick!! With as many complaints that I have read with the Master Shots, it would make sense that the two are related!
2022-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 1-22 13:49
had a long reply written out but i shorten it considerable.  obviously this does not appear to be the owner's fault.  however, im not sure what the law says about who is responsible in the event of a crash (ala "public liabilities")

As the user controller you are always responsible. If cause injury or damage. However you are then entitled to take DJI to task if the problem was due to problem with their drone.
Its similar to airplane crash pilot is responsible for the craft he and he alone can decide to fly or not .
2022-1-22
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 1-22 14:54
As the user controller you are always responsible. If cause injury or damage. However you are then entitled to take DJI to task if the problem was due to problem with their drone.
Its similar to airplane crash pilot is responsible for the craft he and he alone can decide to fly or not .

That's why I hadn't even tried ANY of the 'intelligent' features yet having read about these potential problems. It won't be easy to pick a finger pointing fight with a company the size of DJI.
2022-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Monkey007 Posted at 1-22 15:15
That's why I hadn't even tried ANY of the 'intelligent' features yet having read about these potential problems. It won't be easy to pick a finger pointing fight with a company the size of DJI.

That can be a problem, and the fact they’re Chinese could be difficult . I haven’t used the smart shots because I found them not working as they should. And I never really use them. AT I have without problem.
2022-1-22
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you share the log file please.
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Monkey007 Posted at 1-22 13:00

Quite obviously this is a known problem beyond the owner's control.
As no data has been provided for this incident or the other one you might be thinking of, it's not a known problem at all.
Nothing is known about this "problem" or what might have caused the loss of those two drones.
There's no way to know if the incidents had anything in common.

That's why I hadn't even tried ANY of the 'intelligent' features yet having read about these potential problems.
Until there's data that indicates an actual problem, you are getting way ahead of things there.
It's good practice to wait until there are dots before you start joining them.

2022-1-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Regarding the liability comments, even though they are a Chinese company, they do business everywhere.  And everywhere they want to do business they have to recognize consumer protection laws, and in fact all the laws of the land.  
2022-1-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, sorry man about your fly away and crash.  That is a sickening feeling and not fun I am sure.  That sucks man.
2022-1-22
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI really needs to resolve this issue ASAP !!!
2022-1-22
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-22 17:26
Quite obviously this is a known problem beyond the owner's control.
As no data has been provided for this incident or the other one you might be thinking of, it's not a known problem at all.
Nothing is known about this "problem" or what might have caused the loss of those two drones.

Agreed.  We only have 2 little dots so far and it's a bit too early to join them together. The truth is I wasn't all that keen to try those features from the beginning. Same applies to Airsense; I had it switched off from day 1 having read about the reported bugs.
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Monkey007 Posted at 1-22 19:06
Agreed.  We only have 2 little dots so far and it's a bit too early to join them together. The truth is I wasn't all that keen to try those features from the beginning. Same applies to Airsense; I had it switched off from day 1 having read about the reported bugs.

We don't even have two dots.
Flight data hasn't been provided for either incident.
Without data, all we know is that two flyers lost their drones which isn't an unusual thing in this forum.
And there are many possible explanations, most of which don't depend on there being any fault in the drone.

But we do know that many users aren't having problems at all.
2022-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-22 18:36

It's extremely hard to resolve an issue when no-one knows what the issue is, or even if there is an issue.
2022-1-22
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder what it is like to be paranoid about revealing my location....or face ;-) So sad...Post the dam log file!
2022-1-22
Use props
Solidarity
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m so sorry, hope all goes well.
2022-1-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Hi,
There are many people here in the forum that are willing to assist you in solving the problem and are experts, as well as for others to learn what happened. Just click on the link that JJB* and labroids gave you. After that you will see the instuctions on how to post the details here. Waiting to learn what went wrong.
Cheers.
2022-1-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-22 18:36

Its hard to know what the issue is, we have seen a couple “only” and logs were rendered useless in both these cases including your own. DJI will never tell you what happened unless it looks like you’re at fault. It would have been quite normal in the past when logs abruptly ended and there was no definitive conclusion. DJI would offer you a 30% discount off a new craft, if log showed it was “likely” your fault you would maybe get between 10/15% discount. I have noticed with both yours and Surens they have accepted responsibility but no clear decisions or reason why and have opted to replace your drone.

So I actually hope they do know what happened or could have happened so they can put it right. Considering how few have actually been lost or crashed it certainly doesn’t look like its a catastrophe or anything like it, except of course for those directly involved. I would think 3 months into any new drone release certainly around here that 20 crashes “Flyaways” would be quite normal.

Be nice to see if logs are posted that this can be explained one way or another and hopefully they back up what the OP is saying happened.
2022-1-23
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

It sounds that there might be a bug with master shots.  That's the most likely explanation, based upon the limited information we currently have.
2022-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Spazoo Posted at 1-23 09:42
It sounds that there might be a bug with master shots.  That's the most likely explanation, based upon the limited information we currently have.

There's not enough information to come to that conclusion.
There is no "most likely" explanation at all.
2022-1-23
Use props
manos_simple
New

Greece

I can understand how frustrating this can be. Some drones have been replaced and what you have to do is to be sure to leave a claim.

Manos
2022-1-23
Use props
Corsair2814
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40144 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe the FAA needs to get involved and halt sales of the Mavic 3 until DJI can determine what the problem is and when it will be resolved.
2022-1-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Corsair2814 Posted at 1-23 12:44
Maybe the FAA needs to get involved and halt sales of the Mavic 3 until DJI can determine what the problem is and when it will be resolved.

this is what i am talking about and i know i get downvotes sometimes from people who don't like freedom.  the faa cannot halt sales.  that's not a power they have.  can they ground unsafe equipment?  perhaps, i'm not sure how that works but it would be ineffective against dji drones.

exactly why i opposed drone registration because of the potential abuse.  just like in this forum, there could be a faa exective jumping to conclusions.....
2022-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Corsair2814 Posted at 1-23 12:44

How can you be so sure that there's any problem to be resolved?
What do you know that no-one else does?

2022-1-24
Use props
LeroyWolf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84288 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hey everybody!

Thanks for all the replies and help so far. Sorry bout the late reply, i'm in the middle of a couple big film projects. Sending the drone right now for a check up is not an option im afraid.
Current project will be finished in about a week. I'm gonna upload the flight log right now and will check back in when that's done!

Gonna read up on all the comments as well. Much appreciated guys!
Edit:
Done! Here is the log. I started the master shot around 13:15 mins.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9DLK56U54OF94WEWPL2O
And around 14:05 mins it suddently started flying forward without me touching the controllers.

2022-1-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

LeroyWolf Posted at 1-25 00:56
Hey everybody!

Thanks for all the replies and help so far. Sorry bout the late reply, i'm in the middle of a couple big film projects. Sending the drone right now for a check up is not an option im afraid.

Hi,

Weird...reading your text not touching the controls.

Mastershots stopped, M3 into Normal mode.
M3 pointing towards home, bc it was in Mastershots.

EDIT : did you cancel the Mastershots yourself, if yes, how? (as in the log no sign for cancelling this) ?
In normal mode RC inputs down + forward....so it flew into the trees.

PS VPS height data incorrect; as PH does show the last correct value when getting out of range for all records after the last correct record.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2022-1-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking at the csv from Phantom help and the webpage.
At 12:59.6 the drone enters flight mode "Other (58). I "have no idea what "other (58)" means.
At 13:17.6 it starts to reverse away from the homepoint. As you can probably see there is no stick input.
At 13:45.6 it stops reversing and starts to move sideways along what looks like an arc so there was some yaw too. This is all with no stick input, as if it were following some pre programmed flight path, such as "fly out to a preset distance and then do an orbit or partial orbit around a target".
At 13:56 the drone might be trying to brake, its speed starts to drop. Why? I do not know.
At 13:58.2  the flight mode changes from "Other (58)" to "P-GPS" which I assume is Normal mode.
At 14:00 the speed is 0, everything between 12:59.6 and 14:00 is with out stick input.

Stick input reappears at 14:02.8 and 14:03.4, after that the drone appears to follow the stick commands and heads for home whilst descending, all as commanded. I have no idea what happened between 12:59.6 and 14:00, it may be any intelligent flight mode etc. but I simply do not know.
However it looks to me as it everything that happened after 14:03 is due to the pilot, sorry.

2022-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

LeroyWolf Posted at 1-25 00:56
Hey everybody!

When i was watching on my screen, the drone suddenly started to fly away out of nowhere in a straight line. I didn't touch anything on the controller.
The flight data confirms this much.
It shows you starting the master shot at 12:59.6.
The drone stayed hovering at 21 ft for about 18 seconds and then started moving in the direction it had been facing (southwest). It accelerated to 21 mph and climbed to 120 ft.
After reaching 21 mph, it slowed to a stop for 10 seconds, then accelerated to 10 mph and started slowing down again.

Your incident description suggests that you tried in vain to bring the drone back.  
It looks like the app does not record joystick input when in master shots.

When it flew away i tried taking back control but it didn't respond at all.
"Luckily" it flew into a tree and the motors kept going.
At 13:58.4, just before the drone slowed to a hover, you switched the drone to P-GPS and cancelled the master shot.
You then applied negative throttle and pushed the right stick forward.
The drone responded normally to your joystick inputs.
It crashed while under your control.
2022-1-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-25 03:00
Looking at the csv from Phantom help and the webpage.
At 12:59.6 the drone enters flight mode "Other (58). I "have no idea what "other (58)" means.
At 13:17.6 it starts to reverse away from the homepoint. As you can probably see there is no stick input.

hi,

Other 58 = mastershots.
In MasterShots drone flys automatically several pre defined flight-paths.
AFAIK 1= dronie, 2=wide circle pointing towards home, 3,4,..=  cannot remember

cheers
JJB
2022-1-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks JJB, if 1, 2, 3 etc, are 'sub-mode' codes where are they recorded in the log?
2022-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 1-25 03:18
When i was watching on my screen, the drone suddenly started to fly away out of nowhere in a straight line. I didn't touch anything on the controller.
The flight data confirms this much.
It shows you starting the master shot at 12:59.6.

Thanks for the clear and precise analysis.
2022-1-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-25 03:35
Thanks JJB, if 1, 2, 3 etc, are 'sub-mode' codes where are they recorded in the log?

It is the same with QuickShots, no sub mode codes in the logs.
So it is MasterShots for all seperate fly "modes" .

see this >

cheers
JJB
2022-1-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks JJB
2022-1-25