Serious bug in new FW affecting "Snapshot" mode
3480 11 2022-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you enable snapshot mode, when you turn on the camera it doesn't matter whether you short press or long press the button - recording will instantly start, and when you stop recording, the camera will shut down.  So there's no way to use the camera normally, and no direct way to get to the menu to disable Snapshot mode.

The workaround is that having started the camera recording, you have to stop it after a second or two, and tap the screen (or press the button) to stop it shutting down.  Then, go to the settings and disable snapshot mode.  You might also want to go into playback mode and select and delete the spurious clip you have just created.

This is either a significant bug, or an unannounced interface design change.  But actually it does have some merit, insofar as simply pressing the button quickly to start an instant recording is a bit faster and easier than holding down the button, which was the previously the only way to trigger snapshot mode.  But there has to be a better way out!  I suggest that when snapshot mode is enabled, long pressing the camera button should bypass snapshot mode and take you into the normal mode.  In other words, reverse the original design.  And mention the change in the firmware release notes, please!

2022-1-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Credit to user "KC5LAF " who first reported this.
2022-1-23
Use props
cpt_carrot
lvl.2

New Zealand

credit should go to whoever typed in the release notes for the latest firmware. not a bug.
2022-1-23
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, Peter Nicholls
Thanks for the suggestion.This change is in the release note of the latest FW: "Optimized SnapShot. SnapShot can be enabled or disabled in settings. When SnapShot is enabled, press the power/record button to quickly take a photo or begin recording a video when the camera is powered off."

I totally understand how you feel about this change. And we spend several months on this and involve many user testing this feature.
The thing is : the previous long press snapshot is inconvenient. especially when wearing the action2, the tap/ long press is not easy to distinguish. if the snapshot is not triggered, we would miss the moment.

We notice many people want to have a certain operation to make sure the shooting begins. So the intuitive way is press to begin shooting no matter the camera is powered off or on.
When u want to review the footage or check/set the param , The new snapshot does generate many 1 sec clips.
But it is SUPER HANDY at the moment when doing the shoot (from the feedback of inner/beta testers).  
Since there is only one button, we make the trade off to take care of the connivence of shooting for snapshot.

We did consider the thought u mentioned, since the switch will make the button behaviour totally opposite, so it is not taken.
Anyway thanks for the feedback!  

2022-1-23
Use props
cpt_carrot
lvl.2

New Zealand

Is it possible to let the button on the extra modules just turn the camera on/off if snapshot is on (while the lens module button still triggers snapshot)? That might be a good compromise...
2022-1-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

OK... the release note doesn't really spell out the change in function - it could have been emphasised.  And how to get out of the function could have been spelled out, but that would have been embarrassing if you described the whole sequence of quickly stopping the shutdown, deleting the unwanted clip, and then (if desired) disabling Snapshot.  I agree  100% that the new way of starting a snapshot is very good.  I disagree 100% that it would have been a problem to make the long press the way to shoot normally - if users can be expected to cope with the present method of reverting to normal use, they would found the long-press method somewhat better.  Just say in the release notes, "we've improved the user interface by exchanging the functions of these button presses."

Well, come the next routine FW update, I would respectfully request that you consider again making the long press a direct way of turning on the camera without starting recording.  By the time of that update, users will be familiar with how to trigger the snapshot and they will have forgotten the original function of the long press.  And they will be glad to see the original functionality restored, even though the button actions were reversed compared with the first FW releases.

Meanwhile, many thanks for your comprehensive response, and again thanks for an otherwise excellent FW update!
2022-1-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

My final thought on this subject...

Remove the option to turn "snapshot" on or off.  But leave the options for setting what "snapshot" actually does.  So, snapshot would be permanenrly enabled.

Thus, short pressing the camera button would alsways start recording, regardless of whether the camera is on or off.  

Press again to stop, and if the camera was off before recording, turn it off again.
Long press the button to turn on the camera if it is off, or to turn off the camera if it is on.  Very consistent function.

So short press of the button always starts and stops recording.
Long press of the button always turns on or off the camera.

Easy.

But probably too late now to implement it.  Oh well.
2022-1-25
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 1-24 01:04
OK... the release note doesn't really spell out the change in function - it could have been emphasised.  And how to get out of the function could have been spelled out, but that would have been embarrassing if you described the whole sequence of quickly stopping the shutdown, deleting the unwanted clip, and then (if desired) disabling Snapshot.  I agree  100% that the new way of starting a snapshot is very good.  I disagree 100% that it would have been a problem to make the long press the way to shoot normally - if users can be expected to cope with the present method of reverting to normal use, they would found the long-press method somewhat better.  Just say in the release notes, "we've improved the user interface by exchanging the functions of these button presses."

Well, come the next routine FW update, I would respectfully request that you consider again making the long press a direct way of turning on the camera without starting recording.  By the time of that update, users will be familiar with how to trigger the snapshot and they will have forgotten the original function of the long press.  And they will be glad to see the original functionality restored, even though the button actions were reversed compared with the first FW releases.

Thanks for the advise, we will gather more feedback and figure out a way to improve.
2022-1-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-ytao Posted at 1-25 18:50
Thanks for the advise, we will gather more feedback and figure out a way to improve.

Thanks - indeed I am not the only user with an opinion!
2022-1-25
Use props
fans54016cc6
lvl.3
Japan

I am very happy. Because, thanks to the latest firmware, Snapshots are finally working. With previous firmware, Snapshots always failed due to SD card compatibility. In addition that, I use this camera for winter climbing, so it is good thing that we can start shooting with a short press.
2022-1-26
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also think the Snapshot feature is fine as it is now. Changing it yet again will add to the confusion. Interrupting a shutdown with a screen tap is fine IMO - maybe it could have been mentioned better in the release notes, but otherwise I'm happy with the feature as it is.
2022-1-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I agree 100% that the short press is the best way to start a snapshot.  I only have an issue with the new clumsy way to get out of that mode.
2022-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules