New DJI Mavic 3 Firmware Released (1/24/2022)
14390 226 2022-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I installed it and run a test flight - GPS lock was not much faster than before   Panos are good - OA in avoiding are No go for me going to brake again ...
What is this Focus track?
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 1-24 10:30
I installed it and run a test flight - GPS lock was not much faster than before    Panos are good - OA in avoiding are No go for me going to brake again ...
What is this Focus track?

Focus track is what DJI is now calling the various modes where the drone will autonomously track a subject.
2022-1-24
Use props
captainreynolds
New
Flight distance : 174101 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-23 19:47
It is late at night for me, so I've not had a chance to fly this yet.  But based on looking around in the new app while connected to the updated drone, this definitely adds a bunch of missing features that were absolutely needed and fixed the interface for a few things.  

However, we are still missing several things that I think are still key to being able to take full advantage of the hardware in hand:

"Pro" mode for custom exposure on the 7x would be huge. DLOG would be even better at the very least if we're never going to get ProRes support on that sensor (which I realized was never promised) AE Lock just doesn't cut it, is a pain to manage even by adjusting EV compensation using pro controller buttons. Additionally, I think the 7x camera should have its own totally separate set of gimbal sensitivity controls. It also should have its own completely dedicated section in the "Video" section of the fly app (like "Normal" and "Slow Motion" where it will still allow you to zoom, but not zoom down into the 4/3rds sensor.

Would love to see additional sensitivity options for the RC Pro controller a la DJI Go 4 had - we don't have enough now.

Hoping that this FW also fixes the transmission/receiving issues with the drone disconnecting from the RC Pro at any and all distances when using the "dual-band" transmission setting, or using 2.4GHz. I had set the controller only to 5.8GHz to fix this, even when operating in a clean "interference-free" area in the middle of nowhere. I will have to find a wide open space to test this out as it is super disconcerting to test dual-band/2.4GHz spectrum on this drone as you never know when it's just going to totally die out on you.

Also just to note for those asking - USB mode just makes the drone turn off everything but the main computer so it  uses less power when mounted to your PC.

It's very interesting - as an 8 year customer, this is definitely the first time I've seen DJI release a "beta" software version of their drone (without directly calling it a beta). It was clearly unfinished software, obvious from the first time I used it. Just these first 10 minutes testing out the new update it is much more polished. Keep working DJI - you're not nearly ready with this one!

2022-1-24
Use props
captainreynolds
New
Flight distance : 174101 ft
United States

captainreynolds Posted at 1-24 10:55
"Pro" mode for custom exposure on the 7x would be huge. DLOG would be even better at the very least if we're never going to get Pro Res support on that sensor (which I realized was never promised) AE Lock just doesn't cut it, is a pain to manage even by adjusting EV compensation using pro controller buttons. Additionally, I think the 7x camera should have its own totally separate set of gimbal sensitivity controls. It also should have its own completely dedicated section in the "Video" section of the fly app (like "Normal" and "Slow Motion" where it will still allow you to zoom, but not zoom down into the 4/3rds sensor.

Would love to see additional sensitivity options for the RC Pro controller a la DJI Go 4 had - we don't have enough now.

On another separate note - have any Mavic 3 Cine ProRes users noticed that the Slow Motion "120FPS" ProRes files cannot be played back by QuickTime in some cases? It works well in my macOS video player "Screen" which will drop in FFMPEG processing if Apple's AVFoundation can't handle a file. But this definitively should not be happening.

This also reminds me that they really need to add support for a true 120FPS file as opposed to just dropping it into a 29.97 FPS file. Annoying to have to convert up from 29.97 to 120FPS.  

I've also noticed some relatively medium/heavy chroma denoising in the pre-processing the 4/3rds camera does before sending to ProRes. This may just be something we're stuck with but I hope they make some continual improvements here as this does seem to be a beta drone (still).

2022-1-24
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NGC Posted at 1-24 11:23
Are you finding the satellite acquisition/ home point lock to go faster than before the update? Many are reporting that there is no difference.

I have found no difference (it's the same), but I've only done one test flight (technically 2, as I landed and calibrated the IMU).  3 sample flights will make it "science", right now it's just one flight.
2022-1-24
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-24
Use props
OGarcia666
lvl.2
Flight distance : 972408 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans47bdd5f0 Posted at 1-24 09:13
Panorama Mode is not working here (it says: feature will come later)

Update the app
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Addendum to my findings:

Again this is a small sample size, and more flights will be required for a more meaningful sample size:

I did not take time to notice if the gimbal was appropriately level with the horizon at the very start of the flight.  But I did think to check on it mid flight, and it was perfect.  I really need to focus on checking at the very start of the flight.

Rocket and Helix both had gimbal glitches that would have made the video unusable if I were using it for anything beyond this test.  The gimbal did not move smoothly during Rocket, and it had a bad hiccup during the Helix (it's like twitched to the side for maybe an 8th of a second before coming back to the subject).

The resolution of the "sphere" panoramic is higher than that of the MA2.  I can't wait to test this out in the Oculus.
2022-1-24
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-24 11:32
I have found no difference (it's the same), but I've only done one test flight (technically 2, as I landed and calibrated the IMU).  3 sample flights will make it "science", right now it's just one flight.

My first flight was approximately 4.5 minutes until the home point was declared.  My second flight about 3 hours later was about 2 minutes until the home point was declared.  Both of them seemed much longer than I'm used to with my other DJI drones.
2022-1-24
Use props
MadRat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 502641 ft
United States

I've taken 2 flights after the update and noticed on my second flight the GPS locked a lot quicker than the first. Panorama quality seems pretty good to me. Glad quickshots are finally there but I really wish the asteroid quickshot wasn't locked to 1080/30. Such a low resolution and framerate pretty much guarantees I'll never want to use it.  Really happy to see mastershots at 4k/60.
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-24 11:48
My first flight was approximately 4.5 minutes until the home point was declared.  My second flight about 3 hours later was about 2 minutes until the home point was declared.  Both of them seemed much longer than I'm used to with my other DJI drones.

Pre FW, my habit has been to raise when I have achieved "weak GPS signal", and wait about 10' AGL until I have full lock.  And this seems to speed up the required time to lock.  For my test flight, I just sat on the ground and waited.  I didn't time it, so I can't tell how long it took.  But it was not fast.  I could feel myself growing older.

For my next flights I'll do what I've done before, and elevate when I'm "weak" and see if that continues to be a bit faster.

This is at least the 3rd report in the forum that found no significant improvement in lock.

Note that I'm not particularly disappointed in this, I've managed to adopt the delay into my pre-flight checks.  So my statements shouldn't be interpreted as a "complaint", just an observation.  As long as I can keep it down to 90 seconds, I can deal with that.  4ish minutes, nope.  That's terrible.
2022-1-24
Use props
Snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Oh man, it took me waaay too long to understand/realize the DJI Fly app needed to be updated to see the new feature such as Panorama and Color Display assist...mostly because my apps are supposed to auto update.  Once I updated the DJI Fly app all was good.

This was the update I was waiting for!!
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snowride419 Posted at 1-24 12:21
Oh man, it took me waaay too long to understand/realize the DJI Fly app needed to be updated to see the new feature such as Panorama and Color Display assist...mostly because my apps are supposed to auto update.  Once I updated the DJI Fly app all was good.

I'm "guilty" of the same thing, but it bit me with different functionality.  I went into the app (which had not updated), and I found the same message that was there pre-fw (because I didn't update the app), which stated how RTH would behave, and I had assumed that their change was minimal to un-useful.  An hour later, I get the update request, and the lightbulb went off.

I've tested, and "legacy" RTH works as expected (which is great!)  But it took updating the app!
2022-1-24
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

Snowride419 Posted at 1-24 12:21
Oh man, it took me waaay too long to understand/realize the DJI Fly app needed to be updated to see the new feature such as Panorama and Color Display assist...mostly because my apps are supposed to auto update.  Once I updated the DJI Fly app all was good.

If you're using an android device, the DJI Fly App is not in the Android Store, and thus updates on that app do not work as most typical android updates. The App itself will automatically notify you of updates and download it, but android will not keep it up to date like apps that are actually in the play store. I do not own apple products so I am not sure if the same is true for the Fly app and Itunes store.
2022-1-24
Use props
seattle_helo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56533511 ft
United States

Just completed some fairly comprehensive testing. Did six flights, each around 30 minutes. Overall the new firmware is better, as one would hope and except. But there are for sure still issues. I got a disconnect once while on the ground soon after power-up. I had hoped that issue was done and gone but it seems it can still happen. Disappointing and hopefully fixed once and for all with the next one. I do think a good GPS fix (>12 sats) is now faster. It could easily take three to five minutes for the sat count to reach 12 with .0400. With .0500 it's now happening faster- usually within two minutes. It does seem to be improved. The pro camera controls layout is significantly better and a welcome change. I do hope ISO 200 is added in a future update. The D-Log color assist works well. When connecting the M3C to a computer to offload the SSD the drone LEDs still illuminate and they are super distracting and annoying. Hopefully DJI can dim or simply switch off the LEDs when the drone is connected to a computer.

Overall a good update but still much to improve upon.
2022-1-24
Use props
seattle_helo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56533511 ft
United States

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-24 09:33
This is not wonderful since it is having totaly different color shift.
Try to switch from normal and d-log asisted mode, you will see compleatly different colors.
Also photo mode and video d-log asisted, same problem, it is not right color assist applied, it ruins what you see

I just did over two hours of testing. I did not notice this at all. But I only shoot in ProRes D-Log. I don't do any stills or h.26x video.
2022-1-24
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Had the OA set to 'brake' since day 1,  so no idea how jerky it used to be with OA set to 'bypass'. But judging by the way it is now I would imagine it must have been totally unacceptable! The time it takes to get a GPS lock appears to be the same to me, which is noticeably longer than my other DJI drones, but I probably wouldn't say it is unacceptable. BTW, that 'controller not bound' message on the RC Pro is now gone!
2022-1-24
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289446 ft
United States

just flew the air2s and the M3 off the RC PRO and it took about 5-7 seconds for each to find the home point so I'm not having a problem like others.
2022-1-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Did anyone else notice the updated app looks different in its layout?
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Suren Posted at 1-24 13:47
Did anyone else notice the updated app looks different in its layout?

Yeah it has a slightly different appearance and the photo/video have much different appearance with much clearer haptic feedback. The app is much improved.
2022-1-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 13:55
Yeah it has a slightly different appearance and the photo/video have much different appearance with much clearer haptic feedback. The app is much improved.

Yup, it looks much clearer now than before. I like it.
2022-1-24
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-24 12:24
I'm "guilty" of the same thing, but it bit me with different functionality.  I went into the app (which had not updated), and I found the same message that was there pre-fw (because I didn't update the app), which stated how RTH would behave, and I had assumed that their change was minimal to un-useful.  An hour later, I get the update request, and the lightbulb went off.

I've tested, and "legacy" RTH works as expected (which is great!)  But it took updating the app!

I've found that the legacy RTH isn’t exactly like it is on other DJI drones.  

It actually starts moving horizontally towards the home location while it is still rising vertically to the defined RTH height. Interesting combination…
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 1-24 14:03
I've found that the legacy RTH isn’t exactly like it is on other DJI drones.  

It actually starts moving horizontally towards the home location while it is still rising vertically to the defined RTH height. Interesting combination…

I know many have said advanced RTH is scary, but I haven’t heard of a single crash. I wonder will we now witness some drones being lost because of high winds using old RTH. We have seen many of these in the past.
2022-1-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 14:34
I know many have said advanced RTH is scary, but I haven’t heard of a single crash. I wonder will we now witness some drones being lost because of high winds using old RTH. We have seen many of these in the past.

There are plusses and minuses to each.  In theory the "Intelligent" RTH is more energy efficient, but one is relying on the craft's sensors to get around hazardous terrain including small branches and thin lines.  The "legacy" RTH gives the pilot a bit more confidence in avoiding those hard to identify obstacles, but the drone is going up to where winds could be more extreme, and is taking more energy.

I don't personally like or use RTH.  I think it is a WONDERFUL (!!!) safety feature, and if I lose connection with my craft (I have once so far), darn right RTH!!!!  But if I have control, I fly.  I don't use it.  Today may have been the third time in the last 12 month's I have voluntarily initiated RTH, and every time I've done it has been strictly for testing its behavior.
2022-1-24
Use props
NGC
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-1-24
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anybody notice the huge delay between the stick inputs and the drone response?? Is like half second !!!! really badddd.
I really enjoy all the improvements with this firmware and my kudos to DJI but I cant deal with the delay. Somebody is going to crash the drone in sport mode flying FPV style with that bad delay. Before was not like that, was very responsive.

I am flying with the RC Pro. I need to test with the Standard Controller.

2022-1-24
Use props
Tony64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65574 ft
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 1-24 12:04
Pre FW, my habit has been to raise when I have achieved "weak GPS signal", and wait about 10' AGL until I have full lock.  And this seems to speed up the required time to lock.  For my test flight, I just sat on the ground and waited.  I didn't time it, so I can't tell how long it took.  But it was not fast.  I could feel myself growing older.

For my next flights I'll do what I've done before, and elevate when I'm "weak" and see if that continues to be a bit faster.

I also have now started to take the time to go through what I should do on every flight a pre check of flight settings, hopefully it will put me into a good habit of continuing this after the final FW updates to lock the sats faster, just wondering if putting the charger in when waiting for the lock reduce the battery drain by a few %
2022-1-24
Use props
Tony64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65574 ft
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 1-24 12:40
Had the OA set to 'brake' since day 1,  so no idea how jerky it used to be with OA set to 'bypass'. But judging by the way it is now I would imagine it must have been totally unacceptable! The time it takes to get a GPS lock appears to be the same to me, which is noticeably longer than my other DJI drones, but I probably wouldn't say it is unacceptable. BTW, that 'controller not bound' message on the RC Pro is now gone!

Great! That msg was so distracting, glad it is finally gone
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 1-24 14:44
There are plusses and minuses to each.  In theory the "Intelligent" RTH is more energy efficient, but one is relying on the craft's sensors to get around hazardous terrain including small branches and thin lines.  The "legacy" RTH gives the pilot a bit more confidence in avoiding those hard to identify obstacles, but the drone is going up to where winds could be more extreme, and is taking more energy.

I don't personally like or use RTH.  I think it is a WONDERFUL (!!!) safety feature, and if I lose connection with my craft (I have once so far), darn right RTH!!!!  But if I have control, I fly.  I don't use it.  Today may have been the third time in the last 12 month's I have voluntarily initiated RTH, and every time I've done it has been strictly for testing its behavior.

Well we haven’t seen any fail so far with any rth with M3, but there are many lost M2 out there because of high winds IE flying down wind and getting home in same wind. I live in an area of extreme winds and ever changing winds and its a huge factor a lot of times I fly. I like the idea of the drone calculating the wind and from what I’ve seen so far no crashes it’s obviously 100%.
2022-1-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have watched a few M3 firmware update videos this morning and it appears the GPS acquisition time is still very slow.  Are you seeing that also?
2022-1-24
Use props
Gunfighter420
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12516 ft
  • >>>
United States

AirSense still turns off on its own after closing the menu and during quickshots, it loses track of me about 10 seconds after start and green box is 5' - 10' next to me and I'm off center in the end. I was high contrast wearing all black on brown dry grass.
2022-1-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-24 15:42
Have watched a few M3 firmware update videos this morning and it appears the GPS acquisition time is still very slow.  Are you seeing that also?

Mine got GPS much faster but will check again today when i get home.
2022-1-24
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine get faster as well. It take only about 30 seconds to get satellites. Well done DJI. I am still having problems with response delay but the same controller with the Mavic Air 2S have no problems. The delay is only with the M3.
The zoom camera is really good now. I can read license plates in 28X no problem.
2022-1-24
Use props
Fines Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17269813 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

None of the focus tracking modes work with ProRes on the m3c.

When can we expect this?

Thanks,
2022-1-24
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

NGC Posted at 1-24 07:56
Can you try by using assistant to update the controller then the drone?

works! thanks
2022-1-24
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631014 ft
United States

Does anyone have functional details on USB mode (Mavic 3 Cine) and QuickTransfer? The release notes and press releases mention what those features are intended to do, but so far I've found no operational info.

Thanks.
2022-1-24
Use props
The0pposition
lvl.2
Flight distance : 737539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone figured out where quick transfer is and or how to use it? It was pretty simple and easy to find on DJI GO 4.
2022-1-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

The0pposition Posted at 1-24 20:42
Has anyone figured out where quick transfer is and or how to use it? It was pretty simple and easy to find on DJI GO 4.

I see a pop up when its connecting and then disappears again very quickly. I also tried to find it but cannot. The transfer speed to download footage is so slow like the 1980's speed.
2022-1-24
Use props
The0pposition
lvl.2
Flight distance : 737539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 1-24 20:48
I see a pop up when its connecting and then disappears again very quickly. I also tried to find it but cannot. The transfer speed to download footage is so slow like the 1980's speed.

FOUND IT!

It's very similar to the mini 2 light button for 2 seconds.

No controller needed, turn on the drone, turn on DJI Fly app, hold the pwr button on the M3 for 2 seconds and follow the onscreen prompts.  It worked flawlessly and was extremely fast for high res photos from today.
2022-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules