Mavic 3 Color Display Assist for D-Log (Wrong colors)
5171 17 2022-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616070 ft
  • >>>
Montenegro

Did anyone noticed with new firmware that viewing D-Log with color assist turned on gives compleatly different colors compared to like normal picture mode or even photo mode?

Here is a video to show you the difference (first is photo/video switch, then is just video profiles switch):

2022-1-24
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Yes, I think it's correct. Because You have 10bit and 709 lut
2022-1-24
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Niknik Posted at 1-24 09:59
Yes, I think it's correct. Because You have 10bit and 709 lut

What that have to do with the white balance
2022-1-24
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

Yea I don't personally see this as a big problem. The purpose of the Color assist is merely to give you a basic color grade to assist with flying the drone and getting shots. It is meant to counter the typical washed out image we have seen up to this point when flying in Dlog. It is merely a preview. Your footage will not be color graded.
2022-1-24
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Tornado12 Posted at 1-24 12:23
Yea I don't personally see this as a big problem. The purpose of the Color assist is merely to give you a basic color grade to assist with flying the drone and getting shots. It is meant to counter the typical washed out image we have seen up to this point when flying in Dlog. It is merely a preview. Your footage will not be color graded.

So for you, this color assist is option that enable you to see better on a sunny day, and thats good for a hobby use, but for others who work professionaly, thats not actual purpose of it, purpose is to show actual image and colors it captures that you gonna get if you adjust gamma curve and saturations in post. We really need to see actual colors cause these are false ones.

This makes me think, are these actual colors or is D-Log capturing wrong white balance... i will check this out
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-24 12:45
So for you, this color assist is option that enable you to see better on a sunny day, and thats good for a hobby use, but for others who work professionaly, thats not actual purpose of it, purpose is to show actual image and colors it captures that you gonna get if you adjust gamma curve and saturations in post. We really need to see actual colors cause these are false ones.

This makes me think, are these actual colors or is D-Log capturing wrong white balance... i will check this out

I’m not sure I’d agree with that, you want to see the actual colours that you will end up with. Then why bother with D-log just record in those colours. I can understand in being able to add assist luts for colour matching but surely you’re looking to bring back to the flat image . I use colour assist on a Fuji xt4 but its not anything like finish product. I understand you’re looking from a pro perspective but I’m not certain there is a problem. But willing to learn.
2022-1-24
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 13:05
I’m not sure I’d agree with that, you want to see the actual colours that you will end up with. Then why bother with D-log just record in those colours. I can understand in being able to add assist luts for colour matching but surely you’re looking to bring back to the flat image . I use colour assist on a Fuji xt4 but its not anything like finish product. I understand you’re looking from a pro perspective but I’m not certain there is a problem. But willing to learn.

Well you want to have flexibility from a LOG format (having higlights and shadows to chose from) so i need to shoot in log, BUT i also want to see true colors cause only then i will know if something can be usefull to shoot, if i see greenish road, buildings and everything, i will say i hate that and wont shoot, but if i see nice colors, that is excelent shot to start with...

Anyway, i did another test, its not a problem in colors asist, D-Log gives bad colors for some reason, not anything similar to normal color profile... It's not that its just flat, colors are all off...

Not only that, if you go to set manual color balance, you will see that in AUTO values are changing, like for me at this point 2600-2500K, but if I try to set manualy 2600 K its not it !
Looks like AUTO values shown are wrong or scale itself is wrong....

Something is wrong with colors
2022-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-24 13:11
Well you want to have flexibility from a LOG format (having higlights and shadows to chose from) so i need to shoot in log, BUT i also want to see true colors cause only then i will know if something can be usefull to shoot, if i see greenish road, buildings and everything, i will say i hate that and wont shoot, but if i see nice colors, that is excelent shot to start with...

Could it be your unit? I don’t have pro res but the little I recorded in d-log I found to be easily edited. Again I’m speaking as an enthusiast.
2022-1-24
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-24 12:45
So for you, this color assist is option that enable you to see better on a sunny day, and thats good for a hobby use, but for others who work professionaly, thats not actual purpose of it, purpose is to show actual image and colors it captures that you gonna get if you adjust gamma curve and saturations in post. We really need to see actual colors cause these are false ones.

I will withhold final judgement until I can test it myself on my own mavic 3, as I havent been able to test anything yet, but I have to disagree with you a bit here. In the video you are comparing Dlog's color assisst to the standard profile, which is being processed / graded by the Hasselblad color science. I assume you want them to match. I really dont see the purpose in them matching. The footage is going to be flat DLOG footage that is captured, not the graded footage you are looking at. The main thing really for color assisst is to help ensure proper exposure really. The only issue that may be present here, and this is where I want to do my own testing, is in the white balance. If the color assisst is skewing white balance somehow, I could see some complaints there. I will say however, your video above is one of the most stark shifts Ive seen in the various tests of this new fature that Ive seen today. I felt most of them looked really good. If anything, your test seems to highlight a white balance shift.

I will test this myself. Im not really concerned about the color assisst getting colors saturated and and such though. I just want to make sure exposure is proper, and that the footage Im capture in Dlog is propely captured and exposed. I will tend to color's and grading in post.
2022-1-24
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Tornado12 Posted at 1-24 13:24
I will withhold final judgement until I can test it myself on my own mavic 3, as I havent been able to test anything yet, but I have to disagree with you a bit here. In the video you are comparing Dlog's color assisst to the standard profile, which is being processed / graded by the Hasselblad color science. I assume you want them to match. I really dont see the purpose in them matching. The footage is going to be flat DLOG footage that is captured, not the graded footage you are looking at. The main thing really for color assisst is to help ensure proper exposure really. The only issue that may be present here, and this is where I want to do my own testing, is in the white balance. If the color assisst is skewing white balance somehow, I could see some complaints there. I will say however, your video above is one of the most stark shifts Ive seen in the various tests of this new fature that Ive seen today. I felt most of them looked really good. If anything, your test seems to highlight a white balance shift.

I will test this myself. Im not really concerned about the color assisst getting colors saturated and and such though. I just want to make sure exposure is proper, and that the footage Im capture in Dlog is propely captured and exposed. I will tend to color's and grading in post.

From what i see, problem is in D-Log itself. Color Assist is actualy showing same resaults as if you applied Mavic D-Log to Rec LUT in Adobe Premiere.

D-Log is having color shift compared to normal color profile, and it is very hard to correct. I tried, but failed
2022-1-24
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Here is another problem recorded.

AUTO white balance is working perfect, but shows wrong color temperature in the slider.
When you select manual, that same value shown in AUTO is wrong.
But thats not all, check the walls, they have more of a magenta tint on them, that white balance you get on auto, you cant set in manual at all.
I can only slide cold/warm colors, no green/magenta tint, so just cant get that same auto white balance value that I'm happy with.

Have a look at this
2022-1-24
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Did anyone tested these two to confirm if its only mine ?
2022-1-25
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Goran_m_pg Posted at 1-25 14:21
Did anyone tested these two to confirm if its only mine ?

I have the same problems, and can't find a way to get good white balance in DLOG. The magenta tint makes most of my winter footage unusable. When you using auto white balance and then change to manual, the color temperature changes visually even though the setting stays at the same value.
2022-2-2
Use props
代号LIANG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4532982 ft
China

I found this and asked in DJI Chinese forum, they replied:
auto wb uses different color temperature curve.

I think its also because we dont get to adjust tint while auto wb can

I tested my A7S3, auto wb can be a little different when you dont set tint in manually adjusted color temperature.

BUT it is still too much different in mavic 3

https://bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=294838
2022-2-2
Use props
oberschneider.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

代号LIANG Posted at 2-2 07:53
I found this and asked in DJI Chinese forum, they replied:
auto wb uses different color temperature curve.

The non-adjustable tint could be the problem. As it is currently, I can't use manual WB for videos containing snow, because it's (at least for me) nearly impossible to get the color temperature right in post.
2022-2-4
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Video is not same as photo so you cant correct white balance to a perfect spot.
In a RAW photo, white balance is saved in RAW data, so photoshop knows from where to push warmth and ting balance.
In a video from mavic 3, there is no info about this , and you cant edit it as RAW so there is some tweaking  but hardly to a perfection as you would have in Photo mode.

DJI should enable us to fully control manual white balance, since we cant do it in post like I mentioned previously, and also fix this auto/manual switch
2022-2-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Don't forget, the display is not color corrected or calibrated.
2022-2-5
Use props
Goran_m_pg
lvl.4
  • >>>
Montenegro

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-5 09:10
Don't forget, the display is not color corrected or calibrated.

What that has to do with this issue we are tallking about ?
Issue with white balance hapens on same display, not that someone compared AUTO/MANUAL on different phones...
2022-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules