How many satellites?
684 10 2022-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone know how many satellites are required for each different state of the aircraft/app?

For example:

- How many are needed for the initial 'No GPS' warning to disappear?
- How many are needed for the initial home point to be set after power up?
- How many are needed for a green GPS logo in DJI Fly?

I've tried to see for myself but haven't been able to put a definitive number on any of them, other than 8 sats does not seem to be enough.

I've alsonscoured the manual, but no mention that I could find.

Any ideas?

-N.O.T.

(Btw, this is so that I can include a more reasoned number in the checklist I am putting together)

2022-1-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

It's not the number of satellites that matter. It's how they are arrayed. If you have 20 all lined up, that's not much of a fix. If you have 3 or 4 in a good wide triangle, that is a good fix.
2022-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no single number of satellites that will give you what you want, because the number of sats is not what's important.
You have to wait for the flight controller to determine that it has reliable GPS location data.
The recorded flight data shows an indication of GPS Health on a 1-5 scale.
It's not until GPS Health reaches 4 or 5 that the drone will record its homepoint and you are good to go
In DJI Fly you can tell when the GPS icon on  your screen turns white.
2022-1-25
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-25 12:24
It's not the number of satellites that matter. It's how they are arrayed. If you have 20 all lined up, that's not much of a fix. If you have 3 or 4 in a good wide triangle, that is a good fix.
Ah, I didn't realise the app was being quite so sophisticated in displaying when it had a good enough lock seeing as it shows the satellite count when you click the icon and in the subtitles.
2022-1-25
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-25 14:35

That makes perfect sense, and it also explains why I couldn't seem to pin down the icon going white (not green -doh!) to a specific number of sats.

Odd, though, that they chose to show the count rather than the lock quality/health in the popup and subtitles when that is not what is actually being used to determine when a lock is good enough.

-N.O.T.
2022-1-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed that its normally  8-9> sats locked for the home point to be recorded
2022-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 1-25 15:40
That makes perfect sense, and it also explains why I couldn't seem to pin down the icon going white (not green -doh!) to a specific number of sats.

Odd, though, that they chose to show the count rather than the lock quality/health in the popup and subtitles when that is not what is actually being used to determine when a lock is good enough.

Ignore anyone that says something like: its normally  8-9> sats locked that it home point recorded.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of satellites and everytjing to do with the flight controller's assessment of location data reliability.
It's easily confirmed by looking at the recorded flight data.
But the folks that push this magic number myth can't read flight data and don't understand much about the inner workings of their drones or GPS.
2022-1-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-25 20:52
Ignore anyone that says something like:  its normally  8-9> sats locked that it home point recorded.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of satellites and everytjing to do with the flight controller's assessment of location data reliability.
It's easily confirmed by looking at the recorded flight data.

You just cannot help yourself can you, you just have to nitpick, i gave my own experience, that's all, i never said it was set in stone for every user all over the world using all types of GPS receivers, did i?.

For me its normally 8-9 sats when i get the home point recorded, I fly in wide open countryside most of the time, what you get is your own business but you also do not live in the UK, god forbid if you did, we would have met up by now and i would show you what happens to arrogant, self-righteous folks like yourself.
2022-1-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-25 21:12
You just cannot help yourself can you, you just have to nitpick, i gave my own experience, that's all, i never said it was set in stone for every user all over the world using all types of GPS receivers, did i?.

For me its normally 8-9 sats when i get the home point recorded, I fly in wide open countryside most of the time, what you get is your own business but you also do not live in the UK, god forbid if you did, we would have met up by now and i would show you what happens to arrogant, self-righteous folks like yourself.

We are all here to help aren't we? Not a urination tournament! Maybe cool the rhetoric both of you? Me too.
2022-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-25 21:12

Aren't you the tosser whose last abusive post to me was:
i will respect any bull that comes out of your mouth and not reply to you.

That didn't last long
Go away loser
2022-1-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Because you insist on replying to or about me, you're the one that didn't respect what i asked, and if you think my posts are abusive, you really need to take a long, hard look at your own posts
2022-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules