15829 56 2022-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Terrafx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 720092 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know the status of us being able to map with the Mavic 3. I upgraded with the prospect of it doing everything the Mavic2Pro could do but I'm still not seeing this yet.
2022-1-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You will need to be patient and wait for the SDK to be released for the M3 before mapping software can be modified to support the M3..
No-one knows when that would happen.
2022-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Terrafx. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future update releases for the DJI Mavic 3 and with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2022-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could capture the images manually with the gimbal at -90 and the interval timer set to take pictures.
2022-1-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 1-26 01:22
You could capture the images manually with the gimbal at -90 and the interval timer set to take pictures.

That's fine for mapping your backyard, but no help at all for real mapping projects.
2022-1-26
Use props
fans975eb982
lvl.1
United States

I too bought the Mavic 3 thinking it was an upgrade to the Mavic 2 Pro.  Now it turns out that for mapping the Mavic 3 appears to be a downgrade to the M2Pro.  What a disappointment.  I emailed DJI and received a non-answer to the question of when, or if the M3 will ever be useful for mapping.  There is no information that I know of that indicates DJI will ever release the SDK for the M3.
2022-2-4
Use props
fans975eb982
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-25 18:44
You will need to be patient and wait for the SDK to be released for the M3 before mapping software can be modified to support the M3..
No-one knows when that would happen.

It is not so much the when, but the if...
2022-2-4
Use props
Jason Beck
New

United States

Inability to map is pretty much the only thing holding me back from buying the M3. Put sdk in the M3 cine and I'll buy one to upgrade my P4p tomorrow.
2022-3-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

We do indeed need the SDK for this bird to replace the M2.
2022-3-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Yep.  Thus long live the m2p for now. I am gonna try to get a m30 in hand and sounds like I may have that before the M3 can properly map.
2022-3-22
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-22 20:22
Yep.  Thus long live the m2p for now. I am gonna try to get a m30 in hand and sounds like I may have that before the M3 can properly map.

m30 is a toy.  16x optical is a consumer feature. 12 mp camera is a cellphone camera.  laser pointer?  im sick of the enterprise category.  its a joke. even with the thermal, its still only about a 4500 drone.  the camera modules plastic.  40 min flight time?  so thats more like 15 with a payload, 20 as is.  the main thing it has its a different software suite.  dji stop selling toys as enterprise products.  drones are for consumers.  99% of people using them are consumers.  i can't stand drone companies putting toy grade crap on a drone an calling it "enterprise".  drop the stupid enterprise category.  let a company or government submit a request for a craft, but to build a general enterprise lines stupid.  no wonder why we don't have a m3 zoom option with a 1" sensor an 10x zoom.  you idiots think its for enterprise drones.
after getting whacked for 5000 dollars for the cine, im at a boiling point with this company.  dji, no more junk.  

another example of a feature that they plucked from consumer drones an called enterprise; being rated for rain.  regulations up your &** aside.  Drones are for the outdoors.  Things happen.  its stupid for only the enterprise model being able to handle being...OUTDOORS.  stop stripping normal features an calling them enterprise.  how about this.

drop enterprise altogether.  thank god we don't have to have this chat with apple.  there is no stupid enterprise phone.  ready... m3s.  m3 owners can trade in an upgrade.  here it is.  m3 pro.  has 4/3 sensor, 4x optical, and a mechanical shutter.  m3 zoom.  1" sensor.  with the mechanical shutter.  10x optical zoom.  

this drone was for profesionals, creators, an hobbyists.  ie consumers.  stupid enterprise drones.  stop.  

2022-3-23
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

After all "fun" with M3, you still want to be an early adopter? ;)
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Too big
Too heavy
Too expensive
Toy 12MP cameras
The M30 isn't a drone for consumers.
2022-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans975eb982 Posted at 2-4 10:05
I too bought the Mavic 3 thinking it was an upgrade to the Mavic 2 Pro.  Now it turns out that for mapping the Mavic 3 appears to be a downgrade to the M2Pro.  What a disappointment.  I emailed DJI and received a non-answer to the question of when, or if the M3 will ever be useful for mapping.  There is no information that I know of that indicates DJI will ever release the SDK for the M3.

You could have checked this before buying the M3. If this was your primary use for it.
2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-23 14:09
Too big
Too heavy
Too expensive

Yep.  It is not for consumers, but sure looks cool.  I'm going to consume one.
2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 3-23 13:58
After all "fun" with M3, you still want to be an early adopter? ;)

Lol, yes.  I don't mind being on the bleeding edge of new stuff.  Besides, everything has a shelf life.
2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 3-23 13:18
m30 is a toy.  16x optical is a consumer feature. 12 mp camera is a cellphone camera.  laser pointer?  im sick of the enterprise category.  its a joke. even with the thermal, its still only about a 4500 drone.  the camera modules plastic.  40 min flight time?  so thats more like 15 with a payload, 20 as is.  the main thing it has its a different software suite.  dji stop selling toys as enterprise products.  drones are for consumers.  99% of people using them are consumers.  i can't stand drone companies putting toy grade crap on a drone an calling it "enterprise".  drop the stupid enterprise category.  let a company or government submit a request for a craft, but to build a general enterprise lines stupid.  no wonder why we don't have a m3 zoom option with a 1" sensor an 10x zoom.  you idiots think its for enterprise drones.
after getting whacked for 5000 dollars for the cine, im at a boiling point with this company.  dji, no more junk.  

So you are not a fan of this drone?  : )
2022-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 3-23 19:36
So you are not a fan of this drone?  : )

What's the attraction?
What would you use it for?
It's definitely not a drone to use for mapping, which is the topic of this thread.

2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-23 20:26
What's the attraction?
What would you use it for?
It's definitely not a drone to use for mapping, which is the topic of this thread.

Fair enough question.  Here is why I love the M3, and fly it when I can.

1.  When not doing commercial, love to just zip around explore.  Yeah, alot of times it is the same old sites.  I may not whoop and scream like the philly drone guy, but I do truly enjoy it.
2.  The camera appeals to me with that crazy zoom.  I can see things going on from very far away.  I live right on the edge of a desert where there seems to be more things to find that you would suspect.  : )
3. The battery life...I can just keep cruising.  It feels like the battery just lasts forever on this thing.
4.  I have made some AEB photos that just leap off the page.  Other drones can probably do that too, but I have made some images that are just stunning.
5.  Battery time + hyperlapse = really long and amazing hyperlapse images.
6.  probably more, but starting to feel like I am writing ad copy.... and I am not a marketing person.  : )
2022-3-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 3-24 17:57
Fair enough question.  Here is why I love the M3, and fly it when I can.

1.  When not doing commercial, love to just zip around explore.  Yeah, alot of times it is the same old sites.  I may not whoop and scream like the philly drone guy, but I do truly enjoy it.

Sorry .. I understand the attraction of the M3 (even if it can't deliver on its promises).
I meant what's the attraction of the heavyweight M30?
I can't see why anyone would want one of those for general use.
2022-3-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-24 18:26
Sorry .. I understand the attraction of the M3 (even if it can't deliver on its promises).
I meant what's the attraction of the heavyweight M30?
I can't see why anyone would want one of those for general use.

Well, not sure you on the M30.  That's why I want to see.  The thermal may be really interesting.  The unknown!  Worst case scenario, it totally sucks, and I sell it.
2022-3-24
Use props
djiuser_YreVMGzchHBB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209787 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-25 21:50
Hello there Terrafx. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future update releases for the DJI Mavic 3 and with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.

So DJI doesn't have a product roadmap?  I see this a lot with companies, they like to keep customers in the dark while they plan to make a move on taking over a new line of business.  The problem is that you lose a customer following because you take too long, the customer needs to upgrade their equipment and DJI is not giving them any answers.  DJI does not have a mapping service at this time.  DJI is preventing any new drones from being controlled by third-party mapping providers.  If DJI wants that industry to grow, then you need to either provide a mapping solution or allow the customer to use third-party software.   
2022-5-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_YreVMGzchHBB Posted at 5-2 17:26
So DJI doesn't have a product roadmap?  I see this a lot with companies, they like to keep customers in the dark while they plan to make a move on taking over a new line of business.  The problem is that you lose a customer following because you take too long, the customer needs to upgrade their equipment and DJI is not giving them any answers.  DJI does not have a mapping service at this time.  DJI is preventing any new drones from being controlled by third-party mapping providers.  If DJI wants that industry to grow, then you need to either provide a mapping solution or allow the customer to use third-party software.

DJI does not have a mapping service at this time.
DJI still sell the Phantom 4 pro v2.
It's a great mapping drone.
2022-5-2
Use props
Dave Z
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90098 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-2 17:52
DJI does not have a mapping service at this time.
DJI still sell the Phantom 4 pro v2.
It's a great mapping drone.

Actually, DJI hasn't sold the P4PV2 in several months, unless you mean the RTK version, which is much more expensive. Dealers in the US were selling old stock of the P4P+V2 version for awhile, which is useless for mapping. They also started to price gouge. I've heard from several dealers the P4PV2 is discontinued and that there was supposed to be one final production run last month. If that happened, they haven't hit the market yet. My strategy was to buy up a bunch of used V2s.
2022-6-3
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pretty.certain that DJI have stated that they will not implement waypoints.  Without waypoints being in the firmware, mapping isn't gong to work too well.

Granted, once the SDK is out, 3rd party apps will allow the app to fly the aircraft on your behalf, but this is via "virtual sticks", not using waypoint F/W.  By its nature, virtual sticks isn't as accurate or smooth as well implemented waypoint F/W.

This is why I still keep my Mavic 2, despite upgrading to the M3.
2022-6-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dave Z Posted at 6-3 04:43
Actually, DJI hasn't sold the P4PV2 in several months, unless you mean the RTK version, which is much more expensive. Dealers in the US were selling old stock of the P4P+V2 version for awhile, which is useless for mapping. They also started to price gouge. I've heard from several dealers the P4PV2 is discontinued and that there was supposed to be one final production run last month. If that happened, they haven't hit the market yet. My strategy was to buy up a bunch of used V2s.

You can buy a DJI P4 Pro V2 this evening on the dji website .
2022-6-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-26 01:22

The projects I have been working would not accept that.  Ever.   : )
2022-6-5
Use props
Stingfello
lvl.3
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 6-5 16:29

Mavic 3 never advertised mapping capability.  It WILL happen once the SDK is released, but can't complain if the capability wasn't advertised.  Just sayin'.
2022-6-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 6-5 16:29

I guess it depends on whether you are supplying the raw images or creating and supplying the map.   
2022-6-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 6-5 23:36
I guess it depends on whether you are supplying the raw images or creating and supplying the map.

To carry out proper drone mapping, you need to be able to create a precise grid flight with consistent overlaps of >70% with full coverage of the site..
You aren't going to achieve that without a proper mapping program to plan, fly and acquire images.
2022-6-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-5 23:36
I guess it depends on whether you are supplying the raw images or creating and supplying the map.

I think I would struggle with getting nice and consistent flight lines and overlap for 98 acres without using drone automation.
2022-6-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-5 23:48
To carry out proper drone mapping, you need to be able to create a precise grid flight with consistent overlaps of >70% with full coverage of the site..
You aren't going to achieve that without a proper mapping program to plan, fly and acquire images.

Right?  On each and every of twenty battery changes, where exactly did I stop and need to restart.  This would just be impossible for me at least.  Maybe some have that talent, but not I.
2022-6-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 6-6 09:31
I think I would struggle with getting nice and consistent flight lines and overlap for 98 acres without using drone automation.

Agreed 98 acres would be a challenge.  
2022-6-7
Use props
Dave Z
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90098 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-5 12:43
You can buy a DJI P4 Pro V2 this evening on the dji website .

Sorry for the belated reply, but I checked daily and have stock notification on. If it was available at all, certainly wasn't in the US. Right now Adorama is one of the few US dealers clearing out the last of the stock.
2022-6-20
Use props
SkyWay Weezel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 261526 ft
United States

Even though there isn't actual mapping capabilities (no sdk out right now but in the future there will be) with 3rd party mapping software (yet), I want to send a link I found that explains how to do it manually. Might be way too time consuming to do it like this for large projects, but maybe for construction sites and real estate, this would suffice. I know i'm going to try it out and see how it goes.
https://www.pix-pro.com/photogrammetry-the-mavic-3/
2022-8-13
Use props
raytaylor_nz
lvl.1

New Zealand

I was going to upgrade my Mavic 1 Pro to the Mavic 3 Pro.   
I assumed DJI knew what the word Pro means when they give that name to a product.
I was about 5 minutes away from getting in the car to go and buy one when I decided to check what remote I should use for plugging in my phone for the photo mapping control apps when I discovered there is no SDK support.      

Then a little while later I saw a post from a DJI employee clarifying that the SDK would be avaliable in a few months so I decided to go and buy one.   
That post was updated a few days later to say there is no plans for SDK support so I returned it to the shop and bought an Autel.

I am going to give them a little more time and if there still is no SDK or firm date for the SDK then I'll be buying another Autel for work and probably never bother going back to DJI again.

Its a shame because if there was SDK support for the Mavic 3 Pro I would have bought a couple more this christmas season.
2022-12-16
Use props
djiuser_OwDoZuTM9lF8
lvl.1

Australia

same question . i have Mavic 3 classic can i do any photo mapping 3 D or other and any help of how to or apps that will work with my drone please
2023-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_OwDoZuTM9lF8 Posted at 1-11 20:21
same question . i have Mavic 3 classic can i do any photo mapping 3 D or other and any help of how to or apps that will work with my drone please

No, you can't because DJI hasn't released an SDK for the Mavic 3 which would allow the software makers to update their programs to work with the Mavic 3.
2023-1-11
Use props
webfreak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

Having flown the original Mavic Pro with SDK then taken a break and came back to the Mavic 3 I am really not happy with the Mavic 3 Classic.  The lack of SDK is going to ruin this and every answer on the DJI forum clearly states NO PLANS for ANY development of the SDK.  We can only hope this isn't the answer, but for anyone really wanting a mavic experience, stay away from the lower end consumer models of the Mavic 3 - it's actually less accurate than the Mini 3 Pro although slightly better video.  They want you to buy Pro Remotes and etc which most likely won't be able to run apps built for the SDK, so you'll have to use a mobile device / ipad with the N1 Controller.  Releasing the SDK would most likely tank their DJI RC sales.  Plus they want you to cough up $4k for Enterprise level drones.  The DJI Mavic 3 is a Gateway Drone - just enough to give you a taste.

2023-1-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

webfreak Posted at 1-13 08:11
Having flown the original Mavic Pro with SDK then taken a break and came back to the Mavic 3 I am really not happy with the Mavic 3 Classic.  The lack of SDK is going to ruin this and every answer on the DJI forum clearly states NO PLANS for ANY development of the SDK.  We can only hope this isn't the answer, but for anyone really wanting a mavic experience, stay away from the lower end consumer models of the Mavic 3 - it's actually less accurate than the Mini 3 Pro although slightly better video.  They want you to buy Pro Remotes and etc which most likely won't be able to run apps built for the SDK, so you'll have to use a mobile device / ipad with the N1 Controller.  Releasing the SDK would most likely tank their DJI RC sales.  Plus they want you to cough up $4k for Enterprise level drones.  The DJI Mavic 3 is a Gateway Drone - just enough to give you a taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZL5u98YVc

stay away from the lower end consumer models of the Mavic 3 - it's actually less accurate than the Mini 3 Pro
Less accurate?
What about the drone is less accurate?
2023-1-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules