Zoom Camera sharpness comparison 0400 vs 0500 firmware
761 7 2022-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

To anyone who may be curious, I did a very quick test of the zoom camera at 28x zoom before I updated my firmware and after the update. This is not super scientific, just a rough test to see if I would notice a difference in sharpness after the firmware update and at 28x zoom.

The purpose of this test was to test the specific 0500 firmware update note that stated DJI increased sharpness from the zoom camera when shootin at high magnification.

A little about the test:

Drone was set on a flat table. A printed test sheet was pinned to the wall across the room. Nothing was moved or touched in all of the testing. Even as the firmware updated I did not move the drone. I also did not change the lighting in the room at all. Just a standard overhead light. The lighting, at least for this zoom camera, should be considered to be pretty low. I took several pics and videos. Samples provided below

Conclusion is that there is a clear and noticable increase in sharpness at 28x, in both video and photos. It was immediate aparant to me when I looked at the data I collected. I am providing two jpeg samples here just to show the difference. You will notice even in these compressed jpeg samples that the 0500 sample is bolder and sharper, with less fuzzyness. Also of note is that, atleast in the few samples I took, all of the pictures on the 0500 firmware were slighty larger file sizes than those of the 0400 firmware. I dont know if that is just coincidence but it seems not.

EDIT: you will need to download and view the files at full size to really see the difference.

0400 firmware sample.jpg
0500 firmware sample.jpg
2022-1-25
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for doing and sharing this!
2022-1-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pretty cool comparison test.  And yes, I agree, the 0500 is less fuzzed.
2022-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Tornado12. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Again, thank you for your valued support and have a nice day.
2022-1-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I honestly have not tried the tele camera as yet and need to test it but for now I don't or won't find the need to use it until we can slowly zoom in and out while doing a video without having to stop recordinging to go into explorer mode.
2022-1-25
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Another question about the test:

How did you set the focus? Auto focus / manual focus?

I have found that it should definitely be a manual focus, because the automatic adjustment is quite "unstable"...
2022-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats quite an improvement.
2022-1-26
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

frankymusik Posted at 1-26 00:06
Another question about the test:

How did you set the focus? Auto focus / manual focus?

You aren't wrong frank. I did use auto focus though. I auto focused the same spot of the sheet in every picture and in the videos. I am only showing one cropped sample above, but in the original files, there is no doubt that the 0500 samples are all sharper.

I really did not spend a lot of time on this test. It really was meant to just be a quick and dirty test to see if I would notice anything. I knew that if I saw little or no improvement then the sharpening adjustment DJI made was minimal. I noticed immediately the sharpness in the samples though.
2022-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules