is app handover possible?
530 5 2022-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmitxe
lvl.1

Peru

Hi,

We need to create a somewhat simple Android app to run on the Smart Enterprise Controller, and need if I'm being realistic (total newbie here), need your help to check if all these steps are supported by the MSDK.

1- the controller would be permanently on, connected to external power, while the drone is off - is this possible, or will the controller unavoidably "sleep"?
2- app running on the controller opens a tcp/ip port to receive events - is this supported ?
3- app receives event (coordinates) from external source via wifi or (ideally) USB-to-Ethernet interfase - is any of these supported?
4- app creates a flight plan: elevate to 200m altitude, fly straight to the coordinates.
5- app detects drone (Matrice 300) is not available/ready (e.g. drone is still off) and beeps and beeps to alert operator
6- operator turns drone on (which should be in landing pad ready to take off) ; drone links to controller
7- app detects drone is now available/ready and presents a simple "start" button
8- camera (Zenmuse z30) is set to look straight, 45 degrees down, zoom 10x, recording on, and flight plan described in (4) is executed9- video is shown on window
10- when destination point is reached, camera is set to 90 degrees down, drone is set to hover
11- app hands over to DJI's manual control, and ends
12- operator should be able to "return to home" after he finishes looking around, so I don't know if the custom app has to set "home" before takeoff, or if that's automatic...

In fact maybe it'd be far more practical if after (4), app simply sends the flight plan to DJI Pilot and then hands over, but I don't know if such thing is supported...

I'd very much appreciate if someone can tell me all these steps are feasible and not overly complicated to develop through the MSDK, so I can know not to promise the impossible...

Rmitxe

2022-1-27
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Yes everything you mentioned is possible.
I'm have done something very similar.

I've not used s smart controller though, only used the original remote for mavic2 and added an external power source. You have to amp the voltage a bit, otherwise it will not keep up with the drain.
I use my lab setup this way.

So I can't say for sure it's possible with the smartcontroller, probably is.

Be carefull with the use of the word "handover" though. Have quite a different meaning when dealing  with radio :-)

Switching between apps is hard, very hard. I vote against it.
2022-1-28
Use props
rmitxe
lvl.1

Peru

Thanks Mats.
So I guess if my app is in control of the drone and puts it in hover mode... and then the app just quits, what happens? the drone initiates a return home? or stays in hover, and then one could launch the Fly app or whatever manual control app is used for the Matrice?
2022-1-28
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

rmitxe Posted at 1-28 09:37
Thanks Mats.
So I guess if my app is in control of the drone and puts it in hover mode... and then the app just quits, what happens? the drone initiates a return home? or stays in hover, and then one could launch the Fly app or whatever manual control app is used for the Matrice?

It will hover unless it's in waypoint mode.

It can work, but my experiences with having a user to switch between apps its not really good.,
App threads can hang, and not release the usb handle.
If the user press "always use this app" once, it will always use that app, unless you dive inte the settings menu and disable it.
So no, stick to one app. If you use ux-sdk you almost get everything without any coding.
2022-1-28
Use props
rmitxe
lvl.1

Peru

Understood.
Maybe there's a way of scripting the standard Pilot APP ? so "my APP" never actually takes USB or drone control, is just a local background app that receives a trigger and then, scripts the "DJI Pilot" app to e.g. have it grab a .kml from a specific shared folder and launch "line inspection" or "waypoints" navigation with it, and then nothing else... so next moves are in the hands of the operator... ?
2022-1-28
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

rmitxe Posted at 1-28 11:07
Understood.
Maybe there's a way of scripting the standard Pilot APP ? so "my APP" never actually takes USB or drone control, is just a local background app that receives a trigger and then, scripts the "DJI Pilot" app to e.g. have it grab a .kml from a specific shared folder and launch "line inspection" or "waypoints" navigation with it, and then nothing else... so next moves are in the hands of the operator... ?

You cant script dji apps as far as I know.

I'm actually working on an app where you can script with python. Pretty powerfull way I must say.
2022-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules