945 2 2022-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeffyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi everyone, I've been flying drones for about seven years. I'm fairly proficient, except there's something I still haven't figured out after all these years. How does one determine if you're high enough to fly over without crashing when flying over buildings or mountains?

Please take a quick look at this video snippet that I took today. I wanted to fly over this mountain so badly, yet I was afraid I would hit it, so I chickened out and turned the drone around.

What techniques or secrets do you have in determining if you're high enough to fly over something?

Thanks, Jeff  

2022-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With something like a building I would put the drone next to the building and raise my height until I can see that Im above it, and make a note in my head what the drone height is on the screen,   and then I'll know as I approach if I need to increase height.   
2022-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi,
For buildings and telephone antennas or other objects as high, I do like DAflys. For the relief I use the Digital Elevation/Terrain model provided by the national geographical institute of my country. Then it all depends on the app you're using. I use UGCS, it manages DSM DTM very well and adapts the altitude of the drone accordingly. You can also use Google terrain as DTM layer. add a safety altitude if you use Google.
this might help you : https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/#/
2022-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules