DJI mini 2 overheating
10270 26 2022-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kaOEMQ4dd3OC
lvl.1
Croatia

Hello..I have a problem with the new update..When I update the DJI fly now it's overheating.how can you help me guys..thanks
2022-1-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Turn off battery charging,  it can often cause the phone to overheat.
2022-1-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please try the suggestion of DAflys on his response above to see if the issue persists? Also, may I please ask what mobile device are you using? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-1-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For clarity, what is overheating, the drone or your phone?
2022-1-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

What's overheating?  Drone or mobile device?  
2022-1-30
Use props
Vergiliusz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2749 ft
Poland

If the drone is turned on, it will not fly, it will heat up. It is normal, it is cooled with air, among other things, which are generated by the propellers during operation. When I turned on the drone to check its settings and it did not fly, it was also heating up quite a bit.
2022-1-31
Use props
djiuser_kaOEMQ4dd3OC
lvl.1
Croatia

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-30 05:57
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please try the suggestion of DAflys on his response above to see if the issue persists? Also, may I please ask what mobile device are you using? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Hello..thanks for your response ..I appreciate it..I use Xiaomi mi 9..but my phone is not overheating.. I noticed yesterday I tried to fly and it's ok..I think it will overheat  when  it's not fly ..thanks again..
2022-1-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_kaOEMQ4dd3OC Posted at 1-31 06:16
Hello..thanks for your response ..I appreciate it..I use Xiaomi mi 9..but my phone is not overheating.. I noticed yesterday I tried to fly and it's ok..I think it will overheat  when  it's not fly ..thanks again..

Thank you for your response and we're glad that you have already managed to figure out the issue. Yes, it is normal that the app will normally send you a message if the aircraft is turned on for a long time without flying it. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-2-3
Use props
djiuser_NLpGkTqvgm7G
New
Flight distance : 1460 ft
United Kingdom

Hello does anyone from DJI actually read these posts?

My DJI Mini 2 arrived today, signed up to the DJI Care Refresh also so waiting on my letter now with the activation code.

Im VERY concerned about this drone however.  I popped a fully charged battery into it.  Placed it down on the counter connected it all up and downloaded the firmware updates etc etc qnd the thing felt like it was going to catch fire.  I saw a few comments stating the wind cools it down when flying etc etc but it was sat for no longer than 10 mins and the DRONE was stupidly hot and smelt of warm plastic etc...

Is this merely crap product design or do you guys think I should return it and get a replacement?  I'm probably going to be contacting them regardless but anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:  It's down to the crap product design from what I've read online.   Not impressed tbf I'll just stick a USB PC fan under it next time I need to do updates.  Bad Design DJI tut tut...
2022-2-17
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

djiuser_NLpGkTqvgm7G Posted at 2-17 17:04

My DJI Mini 2 arrived today, signed up to the DJI Care Refresh also so waiting on my letter now with the activation code.

Yes, and if you paid attention to the numerous posts here on the subject, you would know that in order to keep the <250g weight, the drone is primarily cooled by the air going over/through it while flying.

A lot of heat while it is just sitting there doing updates is actually normal. Most people just sit it in front of a fan while doing the update.
2022-2-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 2-17 19:04
Yes, and if you paid attention to the numerous posts here on the subject, you would know that in order to keep the

2022-2-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A second or perhaps a third for Blue_canyon21's post.
2022-2-18
Use props
GTS 350
lvl.4

United States

djiuser_NLpGkTqvgm7G Posted at 2-17 17:04

My DJI Mini 2 arrived today, signed up to the DJI Care Refresh also so waiting on my letter now with the activation code.
They may read the post but they only answer the convenient one's
2022-2-18
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

i use this

djiminifan

djiminifan
2022-2-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I put my MINI in the freezer while updating, never had any problems with ovverheating, only bad connection when the lid is closed    [ it`s a joke ofcourse. never had any overheating ]
2022-2-19
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-19 09:17
I put my MINI in the freezer while updating, never had any problems with ovverheating, only bad connection when the lid is closed

I've never gone that far but I have put a bag of peas wrapped in a towel on top of it before.
2022-2-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

JJB* Posted at 2-19 09:17
I put my MINI in the freezer while updating, never had any problems with ovverheating, only bad connection when the lid is closed

I only update on cold, rainy and stormy days, let it sit outside and never got any link issues due Occusync.
So the last stormy days have been perfect.

2022-2-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

blue_canyon21 Posted at 2-19 11:31
I've never gone that far but I have put a bag of peas wrapped in a towel on top of it before.

sorry, see #23 again
2022-2-20
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Was there some messages stating that with the latest update, that lets you adjust the abilities of the engines, the engines DO get hotter?
That is one thing that has stopped me from updating..
2022-2-20
Use props
wymjym
lvl.1

United States

HI,
I couldn’t find an appropriate set of postings to address my issue.

Mini 2 + Samsung S7
I haven’t used my mini for several months. My old S7 (galaxy) took a nose dive, I purchased a new (old stock) one solely to use with the mini2 and loaded the Go Fly app. Everything worked as I had hoped except the phone starts out warm and gets so hot that the video jerks, the screen goes blank, etc. I have read that this has been occurring for ten years now. I would assume that the newer version of the Go Fly app is causing this overheating.
Is there a solution?

wj
5-1 10:43
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try an older version, google DJI apk and you should find a host site for older versions.
However I have a sneaking suspicion you might have a dying battery in the phone, how long does a full chargef the phone's battery last.

I have had an S6 with very 12 . something on it and from memory there was no problem but I have gone back to an older version.
5-2 05:47
Use props
wymjym
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 05:47
Try an older version, google DJI apk and you should find a host site for older versions.
However I have a sneaking suspicion you might have a dying battery in the phone, how long does a full chargef the phone's battery last.

The new s7 phone has no sim, used only for the mini. It charges to 100%, not certain how to test battery.
My old s7that 'died'... actually that was a battery failure...I replaced that battery, it also will be used only with mini. Yesterday I installed new sw for the drone...will explore this weekend (if it quits raining) and determine if the same overheating occurs with with either or both phones.
wj
5-2 06:57
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wymjym Posted at 5-2 06:57
The new s7 phone has no sim, used only for the mini. It charges to 100%, not certain how to test battery.
My old s7that 'died'... actually that was a battery failure...I replaced that battery, it also will be used only with mini. Yesterday I installed new sw for the drone...will explore this weekend (if it quits raining) and determine if the same overheating occurs with with either or both phones.
wj

not certain how to test battery.

CHarging the battery to 100% and then seeing how long it takes to run flat seems a reasonable way of testing the battery to me. As batteries age they seem to run flat more quickly than when they were new..
5-2 07:20
Use props
wymjym
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 07:20
not certain how to test battery.

CHarging the battery to 100% and then seeing how long it takes to run flat seems a reasonable way of testing the battery to me. As batteries age they seem to run flat more quickly than when they were new..

okay, just turned both of them on...will check later on today.
wj
5-2 08:31
Use props
wymjym
lvl.1

United States

wymjym Posted at 5-2 08:31
okay, just turned both of them on...will check later on today.
wj

Whelp…
Neither phone was used, rather simply turned on and sitting.
The old s7 with the new battery and a lot of apps went from 100% to 58% over a 20 hour period.
The new s7 (no sim) with very few apps went from 100% to 88% over the same 20 hour period.

The last time I flew I used the ‘old’ s7 and it overheated tremendously, blank screen etc. Over the past several years it always performed without issue.
Does the reported battery drop imply that is the issue? Or look elsewhere?
wj
5-3 06:09
Use props
wymjym
lvl.1

United States

wymjym Posted at 5-3 06:09
Whelp…
Neither phone was used, rather simply turned on and sitting.
The old s7 with the new battery and a lot of apps went from 100% to 58% over a 20 hour period.

and after one more day...I removed many apps from the original s7, charged to 100%, turned on and after 14 hours it went from 100% to 70%
the new one, sans sim went from 100% to 90%.
I guess the original one's battery is at least one of the issues.
When it quis raining I'll play with the new s7 and mini2 and report back.
wj
5-4 07:14
Use props
wymjym
lvl.1

United States

Update 5.07.24
I tried using the old phone again and it got so hot it was hard to hold.
I then used the new phone and while it does get warmer than I remember the original setup several years ago it was alright. Definitely warmer tho. With everything updated it takes longer for the controller+phone+drone to sync up. My signal gets weaker over a shorter distance. I am certain of all the above and I wonder if the phone had a sim and was connected to a carrier if any of these characteristics would change (for the better).
Any thoughts?
wj
5-8 08:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules