Wi-fi Extender Charging
4881 9 2014-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonlee0483
lvl.1

United States

Today my Phantom 2 wi-fi extender worked OK for about 2 hours, then it stopped working (all lights went out), and the camea was disconnected.

I did not see an extender red light come on, which should indicate that the battery is low and needs recharging.  Also, the extender icon in the DJI App did not turn red.

I recharged the extender using the supplied micro-USB cable, from my laptop.  It has been charging for over 8 hours, and the light on the extender is still yellow (which means charging).  Does the yellow light go out when extender is fully charged?

I remove the charging cable, turned it on, and the extender light goes green, and it will connect to the Phantom camera OK.

But my question is, since the yellow extender charging light does NOT ever goes out (if it is supposed to?), is the extender fully charged??

How long does the extender last on a full charge?

JonS
2014-11-29
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

On my V+ is goes from yellow (charging) to Green (charged)
If you are charging from a laptop then make sure it powers the USB ports while it is asleep.
If It is staying yellow for 8 hours then either the battery is dead, or the laptop USB port is not powerful enough.
2014-11-29
Use props
jonlee0483
lvl.1

United States

OK, left it on charger for 10 hours, light still yellow.

Then turned on the extender to test for a connection.  Connect to Phantom OK, ran for 3 hours before it turned itself off and lost connection with the camera.

So looks like the battery is charging OK, or it would not last 3 hours?  Right?

How long should a fully charged extender battery last?

JonS
2014-11-29
Use props
andrew
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jon, not tried using it for long enough to see long the battery should last but I notice my extender doesnt ever go green either when fully charged as per the manual, it does report 100% to the vision app however.
2014-11-29
Use props
goodrichodyssey
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue, light always stays yellow. When I pull the plug out is goes green?
2014-11-29
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

You may want to consider getting a powered USB hub.  Many USB ports on computers only provide a current of 500 mA but a powered hub can provided up to 2 Amps (or more) which will speed up the charging process.

After being plugged in for 8 hours what does percentage of charge was the DJI app showing?
DJI Vision App screen (RngExt).gif
2014-11-30
Use props
jonlee0483
lvl.1

United States

But thhe whole point of my question is that I do NOT see the % charge in the extender battery - all I see is the extender icon by itself.  This is both for the iOS app and the Android app.

iOS app is version 1.0.43.
Android app is version 1.0.52
[ both are the latest versions ]

JonS
2014-11-30
Use props
DJI-Autumn;-)
Second Officer

China

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version?? We used to experience the same issue (no the % charge of Extender battery) and it solved after updating.
An Extender can work for 3-4 hours when fully charged.
2014-12-1
Use props
fans06def595
New

Russia

What if when i plug extender to micro usb from my phone liightning always shows green  lit,but when i turn off charge then extender shows no signs of life.my question is What i do wrong?
2019-2-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

fans06def595 Posted at 2-9 22:15
What if when i plug extender to micro usb from my phone liightning always shows green  lit,but when i turn off charge then extender shows no signs of life.my question is What i do wrong?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you are connecting the RE into your phone.  This is the wrong thing to do.  There is no reason I can think of to ever do this.

If you want to charge your RE, the power switch should be in the OFF position.  You should plug the RE into a wall outlet or a power bank.  Or you could plug it into your desktop computer usb port.  You should see the power lamp become yellow which indicates it is charging.  This may take several hours.  When the power lamp becomes green, it is fully charged.  You may then unplug the usb cord and the power lamp will turn off.  When you then move the switch of the RE to the ON position, the power lamp should turn green and the device should begin to boot which will take about 45 seconds.

I recommend you fully charge your RE before every flight.  If you do this, your RE and battery inside will last for many years.  

Good luck.  

2019-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules