Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm thinking of getting 107 done.

I would like to hear from my fellow pilots about your experience, especially about some recent ones.

• Was FAA-provided info and training material sufficient?
  • What other classes/training did you use?
  • How long did it take you to study before you have taken the test?
  • How would you compare the entire experience to some other common known tests (e.g. DMV driver written test, or whatever you can think of)?

I would really appreciate your sharing!

2022-1-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i thought about getting part 107 for several years now and during BF, the pilot institute had a half price sale....so i bought it.  have always thought they are a great program and lots of good resources and recommendations so i couldn't pass it up.  one day, i will use the material and get part 107.

https://pilotinstitute.com/

2022-1-31
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I studied a couple of years ago, but never took the test.  I think in terms of "use cases", and I don't have a use case.  I have my career during the week, one of my hobbies is boating on weekends (and I don't want to content with distractions from that), so I didn't have a real need for "making money".  But it would still be cool to know I could take and pass the test.
2022-1-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-31 10:28
I studied a couple of years ago, but never took the test.  I think in terms of "use cases", and I don't have a use case.  I have my career during the week, one of my hobbies is boating on weekends (and I don't want to content with distractions from that), so I didn't have a real need for "making money".  But it would still be cool to know I could take and pass the test.

same here; time commitment, real job.  once upon a time, you couldnt fly a drone in controlled airspace without a part 107 so like you, i almost went for it for that reason.   but they changed the rules and since i don't fly for business, still wondering why i need it.
2022-1-31
Use props
EFRPIC
Second Officer

United States

Our Agency volunteers are required to have Part 107 certificates to be a RPIC or an Observer. We could train them internally given our Blanket FAA waiver but feel the better approach is to have them individually licensed so that they can utilize the 107 for their own use/business, etc.

We reimburse for an online "ground school" program and for the 1st try at the FAA Part 107 test. We have yet to have a volunteer who has completed the online course fail the FAA exam.

We use https://www.uavgroundschool.com for the online course. They have a $$$ back deal where if you pass their final with 80% or better and fail the FAA exam, they give you your $$ back.

As we have FAA Blanket, Jurisdictional and TBVLOS waivers, we are required to have a FAA Part 107 to fly. The rules are at least the RPIC but we feel the Observer (who must also be able to fly - if the RPIC suffers an anomaly during flight) should be Part 107 as well.

The upside of a Part 107 is that you can work for profit, support a public service agency and have the creds when if asked by a sworn officer, government official, etc. It also is likely to give the Pilot some advantage if some issue occurs that is beyond flight parameters, an incursion or fly-away as they are a known, trained entity to the FAA. This IS NOT a "get out of jail free" card by any means.

The downside is, that although you can always fly as a hobbyist for non-revenue and/or personal enjoyment, etc., the fact that you have a Part 107 would indicate that you know the rules, so you can certainly be held to that. I have, personally, seen that happen only one time. It involved a YouTube poster in 2021. I am sure there have been other wrist-slaps as well.

I'm answering this question with my own POV. Ther are many hobbyists that feel the rules are limiting their personal freedom. Others feel that a Part 107 is unnecessarily burdensome. I'm sure some will post their feelings as well. Always a good opportunity to discuss in a polite and beneficial manner.

If you would like any further info, please contact me with a PM.

2022-1-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like The Saint says in Post 4 I also really liked the Part 107 course at Pilot Institute.  Very thorough and when you finish you'll have zero issues passing the exam.  

https://pilotinstitute.com/course/part-107-remote-pilot/
2022-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Go for it, In UK and Ireland you actually need to do a much more stringent test to get your commercial license. It requires you to produce a specific operations manual as well as a written and practical test.
But I feel and would recommend anyone gaining as much knowledge as they can about flying and respect for the rules the ability to pass on what you learn to others.

No matter what if its worth doing its not easy just apply yourself the same way you would approach any test you want to complete and pass.

It starts with the commitment to first apply. I wish you luck although I’m certain you won’t need any luck.
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CZC Posted at 1-31 10:16
I watched Tony Northrup's prep videos once (free on youtube). Didn't even study any more than that. I watched the videos on a Friday and Saturday and took the test immediately on the Monday right afterAnd missed only one answer on the test. It's not really that hard.

Thank you!
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-31 10:28
i thought about getting part 107 for several years now and during BF, the pilot institute had a half price sale....so i bought it.  have always thought they are a great program and lots of good resources and recommendations so i couldn't pass it up.  one day, i will use the material and get part 107.

https://pilotinstitute.com/

Thank you!
I think I've seen it as well.
The question is: was it really needed to pass the exam? Did it make studying much easier?
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-31 10:28
I studied a couple of years ago, but never took the test.  I think in terms of "use cases", and I don't have a use case.  I have my career during the week, one of my hobbies is boating on weekends (and I don't want to content with distractions from that), so I didn't have a real need for "making money".  But it would still be cool to know I could take and pass the test.

Interesting...
How long did it take you to study? What materials did you use, FAA, or...?
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CZC Posted at 1-31 10:35
It's also cool because you get the nifty official license card.

LOL, that's decided then ;)
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-31 10:38
same here; time commitment, real job.  once upon a time, you couldnt fly a drone in controlled airspace without a part 107 so like you, i almost went for it for that reason.   but they changed the rules and since i don't fly for business, still wondering why i need it.

I do not intend to do it full time, but I would like to take a paid gig here and there, meet new people, etc.
And unlike general photography, no one would hire you without a license...

2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

EFRPIC Posted at 1-31 11:02
Our Agency volunteers are required to have Part 107 certificates to be a RPIC or an Observer. We could train them internally given our Blanket FAA waiver but feel the better approach is to have them individually licensed so that they can utilize the 107 for their own use/business, etc.

We reimburse for an online "ground school" program and for the 1st try at the FAA Part 107 test. We have yet to have a volunteer who has completed the online course fail the FAA exam.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!
At this point I'm still curious about the process of getting a 107 license, trying to think of allocating time/$$ resources properly.
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-31 11:15
Like The Saint says in Post 4 I also really liked the Part 107 course at Pilot Institute.  Very thorough and when you finish you'll have zero issues passing the exam.  

https://pilotinstitute.com/course/part-107-remote-pilot/

I hear you, I check it again!
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-31 11:16
Go for it, In UK and Ireland you actually need to do a much more stringent test to get your commercial license. It requires you to produce a specific operations manual as well as a written and practical test.
But I feel and would recommend anyone gaining as much knowledge as they can about flying and respect for the rules the ability to pass on what you learn to others.

I'm not sure if US 107 will let me take paid gigs in UK, but I do understand the value of information in general.
2022-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DarthSLR Posted at 1-31 13:16
I'm not sure if US 107 will let me take paid gigs in UK, but I do understand the value of information in general.

good job..
2022-1-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-31 13:07
Thank you!
I think I've seen it as well.
The question is: was it really needed to pass the exam? Did it make studying much easier?

others have claimed there are enough sources and references (free and paid) on the internet and elsewhere which are sufficient to provide enough study material to successfully pass.  no doubt many have done it.  however, i felt more comfortable making sure i studied the right material and from someone i trust.  too others i run across others who's work is ok but it's sloppy, not organized, and not very precise.  to me, details matter.  i watch greg on yt all the time and he always seems to be accurate and pays attention to the particulars.  he is aware you just can't go thru the motions of explaining stuff, you have to "teach" it and you have to be thorough so i have every expectation that his course materials are worth it.  i didn't mind paying $120 for lifetime access so even with the changing landscape and the evolving rules, i'll have one source i can depend on in the future....without the drama i might add.
2022-1-31
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-31 13:08
Interesting...
How long did it take you to study? What materials did you use, FAA, or...?

I can't recall the materials I used for study, but the practice test was https://3drobotics.com/quiz/faa-part-107/.  
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-31 13:20
others have claimed there are enough sources and references (free and paid) on the internet and elsewhere which are sufficient to provide enough study material to successfully pass.  no doubt many have done it.  however, i felt more comfortable making sure i studied the right material and from someone i trust.  too others i run across others who's work is ok but it's sloppy, not organized, and not very precise.  to me, details matter.  i watch greg on yt all the time and he always seems to be accurate and pays attention to the particulars.  he is aware you just can't go thru the motions of explaining stuff, you have to "teach" it and you have to be thorough so i have every expectation that his course materials are worth it.  i didn't mind paying $120 for lifetime access so even with the changing landscape and the evolving rules, i'll have one source i can depend on in the future....without the drama i might add.

Thank you. I get your point.
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-31 13:33
I can't recall the materials I used for study, but the practice test was https://3drobotics.com/quiz/faa-part-107/.

Thank you!
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Took a sample test just to see what kind of questions would be present.
Picked answers more or less at random, just to get things moving, still scored 59%...

All in all, got a decent idea of what do I need to learn to pass.
Maps, some FAA rules, lots of TLA and FLA acronyms,  TAF abbreviations...

Definitely doable.
2022-1-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-31 15:25
Took a sample test just to see what kind of questions would be present.
Picked answers more or less at random, just to get things moving, still scored 59%...

where did you do this, got a link?
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-31 17:36
where did you do this, got a link?

It’s what Charles posted in #27
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 207&pid=2664659
2022-1-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have taken the FAA 107 can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-31 20:19
Hello there DarthSLR. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have taken the FAA 107 can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. Thank you and have a nice day.

Thank you! They sure did
2022-1-31
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pilotinstitute was great!  A very high quality course.  Cannot go wrong with them!
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-31 20:54
Pilotinstitute was great!  A very high quality course.  Cannot go wrong with them!

How long did it take to go through the course, about?
2022-1-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

thanks, lot of guesses.  62% or 49 correct answers
actually im glad i took this quiz, now i feel like i should study and try to pass!
2022-1-31
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-31 21:10
thanks, lot of guesses.  62% or 49 correct answers
actually im glad i took this quiz, now i feel like i should study and try to pass!

I wonder if the real life maps are as busy and poorly printed as shown in those test.
To be honest, I could not make half of what’s there even zoomed in…
2022-1-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-31 21:50
I wonder if the real life maps are as busy and poorly printed as shown in those test.
To be honest, I could not make half of what’s there even zoomed in…

neither could i.  i can read a map, no stranger to long/lat, symbol, grids, etc.  however, i couldn't see anything on those maps.  winged it.
2022-2-1
Use props
Glhs958
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753130 ft
  • >>>
United States

A few years back I used https://www.uavgroundschool.com/ to study for the test. @ $150 each time or what ever the cost is these days to take the test be sure to study. I took my time maybe a few weeks to study so I had a good understanding on the material. uavgroundschool did a great job at getting me ready and I passed without any issues. I only missed one question due to not having my cheater glasses with me and missed something on a map. I have a very good understanding of airspace, weather, and more thanks to them.
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-1 06:47
neither could i.  i can read a map, no stranger to long/lat, symbol, grids, etc.  however, i couldn't see anything on those maps.  winged it.

Same here. I have used maps for real, like for orienteering, and navigationing in the total wilderness, not a novice here. Need some practice with this partitype I guess.
And definitely need to learn to understand the abbreviated vocabulary of TAF.
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Glhs958 Posted at 2-1 07:21
A few years back I used https://www.uavgroundschool.com/ to study for the test. @ $150 each time or what ever the cost is these days to take the test be sure to study. I took my time maybe a few weeks to study so I had a good understanding on the material. uavgroundschool did a great job at getting me ready and I passed without any issues. I only missed one question due to not having my cheater glasses with me and missed something on a map. I have a very good understanding of airspace, weather, and more thanks to them.

Thank you for sharing!
2022-2-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 1-31 21:02
How long did it take to go through the course, about?

Well, my wife bought me the course for a gift.  I redeemed the code, had access, then just slowly went through each module.  I took a few months with it, because I would just do a module here and there.  Sometimes in the evening I would do a few in a row, sleep on it, and redo a module here or there.

I really did not rush it because I was not doing it to pass the test, I just really got engrossed in the knowledge aspect of learning new things, and thinking about them.  I really tried to "absorb" things.  (It has been a while since I have been in school, and I was always a poor student.)

This stuff just clicked and I really enjoyed the class, and even the student Q&A within each course.  All told, maybe 40-50 hours invested in the lessons, but I know for a fact it could be done much quicker.

The best advice I heard was don't get good at the quiz, and don't just try to keep retesting until you memorize the answers.  Best thing is to really learn the concepts.
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-1 07:52
Well, my wife bought me the course for a gift.  I redeemed the code, had access, then just slowly went through each module.  I took a few months with it, because I would just do a module here and there.  Sometimes in the evening I would do a few in a row, sleep on it, and redo a module here or there.

I really did not rush it because I was not doing it to pass the test, I just really got engrossed in the knowledge aspect of learning new things, and thinking about them.  I really tried to "absorb" things.  (It has been a while since I have been in school, and I was always a poor student.)

Gotcha, thank you!
so the courses cover all those TAF lingos, map glyphs, endless abbreviations (like PIC, NOTAMS, VO, etc.), and other stuff?
2022-2-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 2-1 07:56
Gotcha, thank you!
so the courses cover all those TAF lingos, map glyphs, endless abbreviations (like PIC, NOTAMS, VO, etc.), and other stuff?

Yes.  Absolutely!  And they explain it at a good pace and don't assume knowledge up front.  
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-1 11:41
Yes.  Absolutely!  And they explain it at a good pace and don't assume knowledge up front.

Looking forward to diving into the official flying lore
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CZC Posted at 1-31 10:16
I watched Tony Northrup's prep videos once (free on youtube). Didn't even study any more than that. I watched the videos on a Friday and Saturday and took the test immediately on the Monday right afterAnd missed only one answer on the test. It's not really that hard.

I watched it. Really great. It answered all the questions I had after my first practice test.
I think I try another practice, and it I get over 90% I’ll just go down to FAA next.
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The biggest hurdles were  sectional charts and METAR/TAF cryptic messages.
The legend does help with the former, and something like http://www.moratech.com/aviation/metaf-abbrev.html helps with the latter.
The rest is really silly.
2022-2-1
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

So, after listening to for its 1hour 45 min, I got pretty much all my questions answered.
I reviewed the test I took yesterday before listening to the course (and pretty much randomly choosing the answers) and was happy to find out that now I would get if not 100% then definitely above 90%, maybe would miss a question or two.
I think I am good for the real test
2022-2-2
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules