1128 5 2022-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

Hello,

If someone would be so kind to look at these notifications I would appereciate it.  The warnings about weak video connection and to adjust the antenna.....is that just talking about the video feed and not the telemetry feed?  Bars dropped to 1 or 2 and turned amber.

I ask because in the HD Player mode where it gives more details, the Radio Signal is 100% the entire flight.  What does this represent?  The telemetry link?  If so, does that mean I had perfect control of the drone the entire flight although the video was weak in those spots?

I get paranoid when connection bars drop and turn colors.  Airdata says these warning messages are low risk of severity.  Am I just not pointing the antenna right on my SC?  As you can see I was not that far out when the warnings occured.

https://app.airdata.com/share/qnDcQi
2022-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Since the 1.5.8 update the threshold for seeing the orange bars seems to be lower than previous versions.   I find though that usually turning more towards the drone makes them go away,  Worse case you will get a rth trigger and then regain connection a few moments later.
2022-2-1
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Edited--
Looking closer at the help articles at Airdata, the "Radio Signal" of 100% does not mean the entire flight was a perfect connection.

Are the AirData view of the logs sufficient, or do others prefer a different tool to analyze logs?  Newbie here when it comes to logs...

"To recap, the Signal Strength Score is a representation of whether or not data loss occurred during the flight. While the quality of a signal for a flight could perhaps not be perfect, the Signal Strength Score will be 100 if the connection between the drone and RC was not lost."

2022-2-1
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-1 01:43
Since the 1.5.8 update the threshold for seeing the orange bars seems to be lower than previous versions.   I find though that usually turning more towards the drone makes them go away,  Worse case you will get a rth trigger and then regain connection a few moments later.

Thanks DAFlys.  I think part of my weak signal problem is interference.  I am taking off from a subdivision where there is surely lots of WiFi.  Also there is a cell tower about 1/4 mile away.

I need to get out in the open with clear LOS between SC and A2S with little/no interference.  The SC with its adjustable antenna may just take some getting used to to get the strongest signal.  The stock RC I just basically point in the direction of the drone and I don't have these issues.  Looks like I'm keeping the SC since I can't afford an RC Pro, and I bet the RC Pro would produce similar weak signal warnings saying to adjust the antenna.  Who knows, in the end I may sell the SC and get the TripleK that seems so popular with my stock RC, but I haven't came to a decision yet.  I need to test more, and make sure this user is not making errors
2022-2-1
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

On either the stock Mavic controller or the Smart Controller, the long flat side of the antennae should be facing the aircraft - not the tips pointing at it.
2022-2-1
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

I have another log question.  On this one, there were no warning notifications, but I got orange bars that dropped to one bar a couple of times.  I did not, however, get any indication on the SC to adjust my antenna, or that the signal was weak, other than the visual strength indicator.

I have heard/read of some who continue to fly without much regard to this, and have successful flights.  But as I mentioned before, I get paranoid when signal bars drop and change to orange.  At least they were not red .  So my question is, is it "safe" to fly with the bars like this?  My reflex when this happens is to immediately adjust the antenna on my SC and bring the aircraft closer.  I do know about loss of signal RTH but that seems to me a safety measure of some resort, and should not be used in normal practice?  Does the fact that although I got one orange bar but no warnings in the log indicate I'm doing something right (like adjusting antenna?)  I appreciate your thoughts.

https://app.airdata.com/share/UdUDai

Edit--
i have since noticed the sensor tab shows all green 100% connection with no errors.  Maybe I'm being too paranoid?

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.03.58 PM.png
2022-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules