POLL: Range and Performance of RC Pro vs. SC with A2S
2451 11 2022-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

I'm repeating this poll that I put in the A2S forum.  In addition to voting on the range of the RC Pro vs the SC, specifically with the A2S, please reply with any weak signal warnings or warnings to adust antenna that seem to be more/less frequent between the two.  Also any other performance differences worth noting.  If you have already voted in the other poll, feel free to vote again here please, and thank you.  I am debating whether or not it's worth replacing my SC with the RC Pro.
Single SelectVote, Total 27 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-2-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I do not have the RC Pro but from the videos I have seen it seems that the RC Pro pushes stronger signal.
2022-2-1
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have been using my Smart Controller with the Air2S and the range has not been very good. I had better range with standard controller.
My Rc pro has far better range with my Mavic 3. I have not tried it yet with my Air2s and it would be interesting to see if it has good range. I will try it and let you know.
2022-2-2
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Suren Posted at 2-1 10:01
I do not have the RC Pro but from the videos I have seen it seems that the RC Pro pushes stronger signal.

Agreed Suren I believe it does.
2022-2-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dr6583. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The DJI RC Pro features a next-generation processor, DJI RC Pro is the newest high-performance remote controller platform with built-in screen. Compared with the DJI Smart Controller, the performance of the CPU and GPU of DJI RC Pro is increased by 4 times and 7 times respectively, with boosted system performance and lower power consumption, offering longer use duration and a smoother control experience. DJI RC Pro also features a comprehensively improved transmission system. It supports the brand-new O3+ transmission with a livestreaming at up to 1080p/60fps and a max transmission range of 15 km. In addition, DJI RC Pro adopts the same control sticks of DJI FPV for more precise, responsive, and smooth operation. Thank you.
2022-2-2
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 2-2 10:06
I have been using my Smart Controller with the Air2S and the range has not been very good. I had better range with standard controller.
My Rc pro has far better range with my Mavic 3. I have not tried it yet with my Air2s and it would be interesting to see if it has good range. I will try it and let you know.

Agreed. I got a lot of video drop outs with the SC. The RC Pro has none so far, with about 3 weeks of use. Range is better, maybe 30% but I'm more concerned with nearby performance, which is much better with the RC Pro. It's no contest between the SC and the RC Pro.
2022-2-3
Use props
Tony64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65574 ft
United Kingdom

I see a big difference in range improvement using the RC Pro with my Mavic 3, just for reference here is the difference between the RC Pro and Smart Controller

2.4GHz                                                 5.8GHz
CONTROLLER             FCC                                CE                               FCC                          CE
M3 RC PRO         33dBm/1995mw            20dBm/100mw          33dBm/1995mw       14dBm/25mw
SMART CTRL1    25.5dBm/355mw           18.5dBm/71mw          25.5dBm/355mw      12.5dBm/18mw
2022-2-24
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Tony64 Posted at 2-24 04:11
I see a big difference in range improvement using the RC Pro with my Mavic 3, just for reference here is the difference between the RC Pro and Smart Controller

2.4GHz                                                 5.8GHz

Thanks Tony64 for that information!
2022-2-24
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 2-3 04:15
Agreed. I got a lot of video drop outs with the SC. The RC Pro has none so far, with about 3 weeks of use. Range is better, maybe 30% but I'm more concerned with nearby performance, which is much better with the RC Pro. It's no contest between the SC and the RC Pro.

I had a SC with it and got similar results.  I decided to get the RC Pro.  The first one was faulty, so they replaced it with a shrink wrapped brand new one which is working fine.  I am getting similar results as you describe.
2022-3-1
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Now that I have flown several flights with the RCP and A2S I can comment more.  For me, in my current home environment where admittedly there is a cell tower 1/2 mile away, plus plenty of WiFi in the subdivision, the RCP does give better range than the old SC did.  However, I'm, still able to get even better range with the stock RC-N1.  Probably about 1/4 to 1/2  miles farther before controller loses connection with the AC.

All in all though, I'm satisfied with the RCP.  It is worth it for me not to have to connect a phone or tablet to the controller just to get maybe a half mile more range.  As time goes on I find myself less interested in how far the thing will go, and more interested in the control at shorter distances, which the RCP excels at.

I'm sure the RCP gets better range with the M3 since they both speak O3+.
2022-3-18
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

dr6583 Posted at 3-18 12:14
Now that I have flown several flights with the RCP and A2S I can comment more.  For me, in my current home environment where admittedly there is a cell tower 1/2 mile away, plus plenty of WiFi in the subdivision, the RCP does give better range than the old SC did.  However, I'm, still able to get even better range with the stock RC-N1.  Probably about 1/4 to 1/2  miles farther before controller loses connection with the AC.

All in all though, I'm satisfied with the RCP.  It is worth it for me not to have to connect a phone or tablet to the controller just to get maybe a half mile more range.  As time goes on I find myself less interested in how far the thing will go, and more interested in the control at shorter distances, which the RCP excels at.

The RC Pro with the M3C is truly unbelievable. Leaps and bounds ahead of my SC. I received my M3C in late November with no leaves on the trees. Never has it been more apparent than with the tree canopy fully leafing out here in PA. The penetration is amazing, even through many brick/cinder block walls, plaster, you name it.
2022-5-22
Use props
azinne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 831014 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-2 22:06
Hello there dr6583. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The DJI RC Pro features a next-generation processor, DJI RC Pro is the newest high-performance remote controller platform with built-in screen. Compared with the DJI Smart Controller, the performance of the CPU and GPU of DJI RC Pro is increased by 4 times and 7 times respectively, with boosted system performance and lower power consumption, offering longer use duration and a smoother control experience. DJI RC Pro also features a comprehensively improved transmission system. It supports the brand-new O3+ transmission with a livestreaming at up to 1080p/60fps and a max transmission range of 15 km. In addition, DJI RC Pro adopts the same control sticks of DJI FPV for more precise, responsive, and smooth operation. Thank you.

It sounds great. Why not then make it compatible with more drones? I'd buy one today if it flew more than  my M3. Like maybe the mini 2 or mini 3.
2022-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules