Display useless with polarized sunglasses
2448 16 2022-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Westwind77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 567234 ft
United States

I have used the RC Pro a few times and love it, but the other day with the reflection from the fresh snow I put on my polarized sunglasses - the screen went black! Such a HUGE disappointment they did not run the polorization the other direction on the display. I know typically most will not fly with sunglasses for many reasons, but it would be great to have that option if we want it.
I know this will not affect how DJI produces the RC Pro in the future, this is more so for those who fly with polorized glasses - you have been warned!

(OT - There was another company that produced a display that went black with polarized sunglasses, a number of us brought it to their attention and they ended up changing the display to work with them as they realized, for that particular product, it would significantly hurt sales if it was not fixed)
2022-2-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The controller is not the problem.
Using polarised glasses is the problem.
They are going to give a problem with just about any screen
2022-2-1
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-1 13:58
The controller is not the problem.
Using polarised glasses is the problem.
They are going to give a problem with just about any screen

Not so much. Years ago that was the case, but now manufacturers have the technology to counteract the polarization of sunglasses.

Typically displays are set up so it only affects it in one direction. Since phones are typically used vertically they are viewed fine with polarized sunglasses but when you turn them sideways they go black. You can assign the manor is which it runs on the display so as to prevent it from happening.

Given the RC Pro will ONLY be used in landscape mode they should have had the display designed so you could view it in that orientation with the glasses on. If you turn the RC Pto so the display is vertical you can see the display clear as day with the sunglasses on, it only black out when in landscape, the mode it which it needs to be used.

Most computer monitors are designed the correct way. If you put on polarized glasses it looks fine but if you turn your head to the side (equivalent or turning the monitor) it goes black. The way the RC Pro should have been designed.

There was a new radar detector released a short period back, display went dark with polarized glasses. We all wear sunglasses when driving so it was useless. The company had the display glass changed 90 degrees so it would be clear, but if you turn your head sideways (which you never do when driving) it will go black.

Look at your marine GPS plotters. They are the same way. Fine in landscape, turn your head and they go black. If you spend a few more dollars on the marine unit or the aviation units they actually can prevent the screen from going black when viewed in any orientation with polarized glasses.

So, the issue lies with DJI 100%. Polarized glasses will turn the display black when viewed from one direction, however the engineers/designers of the RC Pro did not think landscape orientation when it was designed. It is just a matter of the glass, honestly not complicated. If they cut it from the other direction it would be viewable.

Not the end of the world but it is such a simple thing that could have been prevented with a bit of planning ahead.   
2022-2-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Westwind77. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these interesting information with us. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.
2022-2-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh my.  First thought, this is an "Onion News" article.
2022-2-2
Use props
DarkMyth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 840830 ft
United States

I agree with other posters polarized sunglasses make almost every screen I've ever seen not work.
2022-2-4
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

DarkMyth Posted at 2-4 13:06
I agree with other posters polarized sunglasses make almost every screen I've ever seen not work.

Most companies these days are making their displays/screen 'polarized sunglass friendly'. Something like the RC Pro would only require them to cut and install the glass the opposite direction. Then the display would not be black when in landscape, only when in portrait, where it will never be used.

Garmin does it with their displays:

"HD IPS TOUCHSCREEN
Available in 10”, 12” or 16”, this display offers wider viewing angles, superior clarity and sunlight readability, even with polarized sunglasses."

There are way to make it readable in both directions, which can get expensive, but to have it readable in just one specific direction is a matter or simple planning with glass orientation, which is all we need with the RC Pro.  
2022-2-4
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Westwind77 Posted at 2-4 13:17
Most companies these days are making their displays/screen 'polarized sunglass friendly'. Something like the RC Pro would only require them to cut and install the glass the opposite direction. Then the display would not be black when in landscape, only when in portrait, where it will never be used.

Garmin does it with their displays:

Most professional products have screens optimised for using with polarised sunglasses.

Both Aviation & Marine devices have been optimised for years. (Garmin, Simrad, Lowrance, Raymarine and many many others)

If DJI have not optimised for polarised sunglasses it is a huge oversight.
2022-2-17
Use props
Rever Acton
New

Pakistan

I want to know more about Polarized Sunglasses.
2023-1-10
Use props
Rever Acton
New

Pakistan

I am agree with other post;
2023-1-10
Use props
Dr Tone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166450 ft
Canada

Rever Acton Posted at 1-10 03:03
I want to know more about Polarized Sunglasses. would you be able to tell me about White Aviator Sunglasses are polarized or not.

Can’t say with 100% certainty but aviation glasses are usually not polarized on purpose.
2023-1-10
Use props
Rever Acton
New

Pakistan

I want to know more about Polarized Sunglasses. would you be able to tell me about white aviator sunglasses are polarized or not.
2023-1-10
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

very interesting to know. I use polarized sunglasses most of the time so I'm this was mentioned. It sounds like something DJI should look into seeing how most people use their drones outside and wearing sunglasses is fairly normal.
2023-1-10
Use props
Rever Acton
New

Pakistan

they are going to give a problem with just about any screen
2023-1-10
Use props
djiuser_xp22w5ZmmFMg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1846860 ft
United Kingdom

Really annoying! The old smart controller was fine! It's just the new rc pro controller that's duff! I bet they're just using a repurposed phone screen which is designed to work in portrait but they never realised the issue.
2023-2-27
Use props
Aurgelme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1657 ft
Norway

The DJI RC works fine with polarized sunglasses, just a little darker at 45 degrees
2023-3-12
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Rever Acton Posted at 1-10 03:03
I want to know more about Polarized Sunglasses.

Don't we all...
2023-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules