Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Car Charger - does engine need to be running?
1954 10 2022-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Westwind77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 567234 ft
United States

I was thinking of getting the DJI Car Charger for the 2s but remember looking at one for the MPP a while back and the issue was that the vehicle had to be running for the charger to work, does anyone know if that is the same for the Air 2s Car Charger? (I would be using this on a boat, not in the car, so it would be nice to be able to charge if at the beach by pulling power from one of the two batteries.) Thanks!
2022-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Car chargers use a lot of power, and that does not change between models of aircraft.
2022-2-2
Use props
sduck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

The charger needs power to work. Almost all cars (that I know of) (and boats) only provide power to the 12v outlet while they are running. Otherwise people would be running down their car batteries and getting stranded constantly.
2022-2-2
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

sduck Posted at 2-2 14:17
The charger needs power to work. Almost all cars (that I know of) (and boats) only provide power to the 12v outlet while they are running. Otherwise people would be running down their car batteries and getting stranded constantly.

I should clarify a bit.....you are right as most vehicles do not have 'Constant On' 12v outlet anymore, however some still do, like my wife's. As for boats (I'm in that industry), pretty much all 12v outlets are 'live' at all times regardless of engine status.

That being said....the 'issue' I heard about with the MPP car charger was that there needed to be input voltage that exceeded 13v for the charger to 'activate' and charge the drone battery. The only way to get an input voltage that high would be to have the engine running with the alternator putting that voltage to the outlet.

I am wondering if that is the same case with the Air 2s car charger - does it need 13+v to allow for changing of the drone battery?
2022-2-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Westwind77. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who uses the said DJI Car Charger for the DJI Air 2S ( https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air-2-car-charger ) can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Westwind77 Posted at 2-2 17:18
I should clarify a bit.....you are right as most vehicles do not have 'Constant On' 12v outlet anymore, however some still do, like my wife's. As for boats (I'm in that industry), pretty much all 12v outlets are 'live' at all times regardless of engine status.

That being said....the 'issue' I heard about with the MPP car charger was that there needed to be input voltage that exceeded 13v for the charger to 'activate' and charge the drone battery. The only way to get an input voltage that high would be to have the engine running with the alternator putting that voltage to the outlet.

I don't see why the Air2 charger, or more correctly, power supply, should be any different to others in the DJI range.
2022-2-2
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Without the alternator providing power you will only get pure battery voltage. More than enough current, just lower voltage. With the average engine running you will get 13.2 to 14 volts depending on battery condition. Engine off you get 12.2 or so. Accessories will charge slower at reduced voltage, thus charging your drone battery will be affected the same, engine off/ engine running.
2022-2-3
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

Mission XR Posted at 2-3 06:06
Without the alternator providing power you will only get pure battery voltage. More than enough current, just lower voltage. With the average engine running you will get 13.2 to 14 volts depending on battery condition. Engine off you get 12.2 or so. Accessories will charge slower at reduced voltage, thus charging your drone battery will be affected the same, engine off/ engine running.

I work with 12v systems daily so know the ins/outs well.

It looks like no one here owns the charger to answer the questions though.

Again, it is not a matter of charging slower vs faster - I read old DJI car chargers will not charge at all if the engine is not running (input voltage above 13), hoping this might be different. Then again, you can't trust everything you read on the internet, ha.

I can't find a manual on DJI's site that would answer my question either.

Looks like I will just order the unit, test it, and return if needed.
2022-2-3
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

https://www.amazon.com/Smatree-P ... igent/dp/B08LG7PXNJ
Another option. My nephew has one and loves it when he travels.
2022-2-3
Use props
Westwind77
lvl.2
United States

Mission XR Posted at 2-3 06:28
https://www.amazon.com/Smatree-Portable-Charging-Compatible-Intelligent/dp/B08LG7PXNJ
Another option. My nephew has one and loves it when he travels.

Thank you for that suggestion, that could be a great option as well! I like that it can charge both at once.
2022-2-3
Use props
aramsmak
lvl.1

Germany

In general, some car chargers for drones may be designed to work only when the vehicle is running to ensure a stable power supply. However, this can vary between different models and manufacturers. As for driver's license best fake id, you can get things done quickly and inexpensively. Since you plan to use it on a boat, it's essential to verify the charger's specifications to ensure it meets your specific needs, especially if you intend to charge the batteries without the boat's engine running.
2023-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules