Weekend lesson learned
917 13 2022-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Last weekend I headed out for the first time with an actual plan... Rather than just practicing flying and grabbing some video and photos while I was out, last weekend I had purpose - a great place to fly and film and a good idea of some shots I wanted to capture.

About 30 seconds into the first flight I had the "SD card too slow - please format card" message pop up and disappear.

I stupidly ignored the message as I had seen it before and my subsequent recording had all been fine.

What I didn't notice this time, though, was that recording had actually stopped when the message popped up!

So, the beautiful orbit short that I thought I'd captured was nowhere to be seen :-(

Well, I say nowhere... When I look at my flight log for that flight I can see that I flew a really neat circle and the camera was pointed in the right direction as of the time. So, it would have been a beautiful orbit shot had it actually been recording!

Thankfully, the card performed without issue for the rest of the session and I hope to be able to post the edited video shortly. Fir my first proper outing I'm really happy with what I captured. Just s shame I didn't have that orbit to include.

It seems that this error sometimes pops up erroneously and the drone stops recording even though the card performed absolutely fine the rest of the time. I've only seen it pop up about 30 seconds into the first flight of the day and then never again for that session.

(I also found another issue when shooting a spherical panorama, but I need to do a few more tests to figure out where I went wrong with that).

-N.O.T.

2022-2-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just goes to show, no matter the amount of planning on paper, you can still get kicked in the butt
2022-2-2
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Sorry this happened to you friend
2022-2-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there -N.O.T. I am sorry to read and to know what happened and thank you for sharing these information with us. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and keep flying.
2022-2-2
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2-2 19:19
Just goes to show, no matter the amount of planning on paper, you can still get kicked in the butt

Yup, to be honest I was so busy concentrating on balancing the left and right sticks and gimble control (it was a slowly climbing orbit so required 3-way control input) that I didn't think to check the record button state when the warning flashed up.

I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of other shots as well as when I look back at the footage from that first flight I have recorded my repositioning manoeuvres - so I guess I was toggling the record the wrong way around for a few minutes...

Anyway, I'm just about to post the results....

-N.O.T.
2022-2-3
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 2-2 19:28
Sorry this happened to you friend

Thanks,

It was landscape stuff so it will still be there to capture again at some point.

-N.O.T.
2022-2-3
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

So if you upload that flight log to Airdata or PhantomHelp, you can download a .kml or .csv which can then be uploaded to Litchi's Mission Hub.

You can then load up the mission in the Litchi app and get your perfect orbit again.
2022-2-3
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 2-3 09:59
So if you upload that flight log to Airdata or PhantomHelp, you can download a .kml or .csv which can then be uploaded to Litchi's Mission Hub.

You can then load up the mission in the Litchi app and get your perfect orbit again.

Yeah, but half the fun is the flying...
2022-2-3
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 2-3 10:05
Yeah, but half the fun is the flying...

I agree...

I've just been in the same situation as you recently and found that Litchi got me the shot that I was so bummed about missing.
2022-2-3
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 2-3 10:28
I agree...

I've just been in the same situation as you recently and found that Litchi got me the shot that I was so bummed about missing.

Maybe we also need to bug the Litchi devs to add a 'Recreate weather' function as well
2022-2-3
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 2-3 10:37
Maybe we also need to bug the Litchi devs to add a 'Recreate weather' function as well

If only we could. 'sigh'!
2022-2-3
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I've had similar issue with missing recording, I wish DJI would implement the old annoying flashing red ball for recording on, wouldn't miss that!
2022-2-3
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 2-3 12:36
I've had similar issue with missing recording, I wish DJI would implement the old annoying flashing red ball for recording on, wouldn't miss that!

Agree, I've had to double check a few times to see whether the red dot was the "Record" dot or the "Recording" dot.

A bigger difference between the two would be really helpful.

But I really should have checked after that warning
2022-2-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Glad it worked out well!
2022-2-9
Use props
Advanced