Is it possible their is one out there?
534 12 2022-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

I have spent an enormous amount of time researching almost every drone on the market to find no company really has it figured out entirely. We have those like DJI, Autel, Skydio at the top of the consumer drone market. But not one of these companies doesn't have a forum that is full of horror stories about the product. I get some threads are by folks that do have a bad experience, just look around the threads, and then others that are new to drones that self induce problems.

However,,,,, It seems that not one company really has it all together. New products released with major FW or performance issues, new FW released that now has new “bugs” that made the app actually worse then before. Does the professional series of drones have similar issues or is the consumer market the trial and evaluation group to test new ideas for the professional series?

Sure is frustrating to buy a top name, spend much money to do so, and then find all the open issues. Is the industry really that young that all this technology is overwhelming to them and they just cannot get their heads wrapped around it?

2022-2-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's the race to be out there first with the newest and best. No different in any other huge corporation, launching models only to find problems down the line :-    Apple, Tesla...
2022-2-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you want a flawless drone then let others do the testing and wait until the bugs are ironed out. Don't go queuing at the shop doors waiting for them to open on launch date.
Read the problem threads and get realistic ideas of what drone xyz can do or not do. I wouldn't rely on Youtube reviews from people some of whom may well be depending of the drone companies for freebies.
2022-2-4
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-4 10:34
If you want a flawless drone then let others do the testing and wait until the bugs are ironed out. Don't go queuing at the shop doors waiting for them to open on launch date.
Read the problem threads and get realistic ideas of what drone xyz can do or not do. I wouldn't rely on Youtube reviews from people some of whom may well be depending of the drone companies for freebies.

Just seems the bugs never get worked out.  I think more quality control on FW updates would help immensely. Hire a college student to take the drone out and run it through all features to insure fixing one thing doesn't break another before releasing. Taking additional time to test would bring much happier consumers.
2022-2-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Almost every drone manufacturer in the world releases their newer drones with bugs. We are sometimes the beta testers for these drones and this allows the companies to fix the bugs albeit sometimes causing more issues than resolutions. I rushed and got the Mavic 3 on launch day- had issues and still do- would I get rid of it- never, it is a beast of a drone and performs well give or take some small issues like GPS acquisition times.  I also rushed and got the EVO Lite+ on January 5, before a lot of others - had major issues and returned the drone for another, still having issues and taking this replacement back for another 3rd one now. Will I keep it- Yes because even with its flaws it is an amazing drone and fills the gap that Dji has created. So all in all you will almost likely always have issues with newer drones because as Sean said above, manufacturers are trying to get their drones out faster than anyone else on the market to get the most money in and we still run out and buy them knowing there will be issues.
2022-2-4
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Suren Posted at 2-4 11:29
Almost every drone manufacturer in the world releases their newer drones with bugs. We are sometimes the beta testers for these drones and this allows the companies to fix the bugs albeit sometimes causing more issues than resolutions. I rushed and got the Mavic 3 on launch day- had issues and still do- would I get rid of it- never, it is a beast of a drone and performs well give or take some small issues like GPS acquisition times.  I also rushed and got the EVO Lite+ on January 5, before a lot of others - had major issues and returned the drone for another, still having issues and taking this replacement back for another 3rd one now. Will I keep it- Yes because even with its flaws it is an amazing drone and fills the gap that Dji has created. So all in all you will almost likely always have issues with newer drones because as Sean said above, manufacturers are trying to get their drones out faster than anyone else on the market to get the most money in and we still run out and buy them knowing there will be issues.

I don't disagree with all you shared. I will say, Thank God these are not "Manned" aircraft.
In past life I programmed equipment that if something goes wrong, people can be seriously injured. So, my engineering experience tells me test, test and when you think it's perfect, test some more. I guess my expectations are a bit higher than realistic expectations of this industry. I just may need to tweak that!
Have a great day.
2022-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mission XR Posted at 2-4 12:14
I don't disagree with all you shared. I will say, Thank God these are not "Manned" aircraft.
In past life I programmed equipment that if something goes wrong, people can be seriously injured. So, my engineering experience tells me test, test and when you think it's perfect, test some more. I guess my expectations are a bit higher than realistic expectations of this industry. I just may need to tweak that!
Have a great day.

The main reason that drones are released with software problems is that they are all Chinese, and the Chinese have different work ethics to Westerners. Near enough IS  good enough, and the customer is never right.
2022-2-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And until
a) there is realistic competition or
b) folks stop payiing them for the privilege of being a beta tester
they have no reason to change.
2022-2-4
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Well, what about Skydio? I read allot about all the MIT brains involved with Skydio and they seem to have their fair share of issues also. I seriously looked at their product but what steered me away was the limit on low light operation due to the cameras. I would like nothing more than to buy an American made product but if you look at Skydio's forum, it is as noisy as any other manufacture.
I think I'll go back to flying kites...... just kidding
2022-2-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

ok, mission you are exaggerating....a lot.  
2022-2-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's also a bleeding edge technology and comes with pain ;-)
2022-2-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its the same for any product,  for example look at car forums and you'll find loads of moaners.
2022-2-5
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

For you experts out there.... I have read several complaints about the timing of satellite connection where the time to connect has grown. If a person is using a RC, phone and aircraft, the aircraft is the one looking for the connection?  Obviously our phones are always connected if we have chosen them to be in the options and the RC is only the interface between the phone/tablet and aircraft. Is that correct? What truly determines the timing of connection?
Thanks in advance.
2022-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules