5905 7 2022-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_UAPzMrwJbYVy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3072448 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those that use iPads to fly, how has your experience been ? I would definitely benefit from the larger display. I’ve heard horror stories of the iPads not working properly when it’s too cold or too hot. Does this hold true for your experience? I was also wondering about controller weight with one. Does it make the controller too heavy or hard to handle? Any workarounds ? Thanks for any feedback you can share.
2022-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

iPad will work fine, most used is Mini iPad . Regarding temp just like your phone in heat and cold it can be vulnerable but its most likely the human flying the drone may just have as much trouble with high and low temps ;+).

Controller weight: well it be the weight of the RC iPad and bracket to hold all together. There are many brackets out there and using a lanyard is a good idea with this set up.

Remember if temperature causes iPad to cut out you can still hit RTH on remote or once you are in line of sight you can still use RC as normal. But these crashes are few and far between.
2022-2-5
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown with iPad and it wasn't bad when the sky was overcast, or I could find shade.  In direct sunlight it's not a very good experience.
2022-2-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI Co pilots who uses an iPad when flying these DJI drone can give out the best recommendation with regards to these inquiry. Just a reminder that DJI recommends using a recommended mobile device for compatibility and reliability purposes. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-2-6
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

I generally use a 9.7" iPad Pro with a long Lightning cable, mounted on a ball-head tripod via Wallee case. Works great. The screen is about as bright as my iPhone, but it can be worth throwing a sun hood over the iPad screen if you have no other shade. Manfrotto/Bogen make one and there are loads on Amazon.
2022-2-7
Use props
Montivette
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1217756 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use IPad Pro 11" with StartRC tablet holder which comes with optional Sun Hood for $55 USD. I find brightness is fine even without hood. Battery life is not good if flying 0-15 Fahrenheit. Not sure about other temp extreme yet. I am getting random loss of video and telemetry link which is resolved by unplugging and plugging in USB cable from iPad. Going to try new USB cables. If not USB cable might be compatability issues with iPad 11" 2021  as I have never lost connection when using Samsung Note20 an. I have flown with various Lenovo tablets for years. Only once with Lenovo did I have issue. It was bright sunny day, very hot, and I was standing in sun with tablet brightness set to100%. Tablet overheated and restarted. I found shade and turned brightness down. If flying in temp extremes, if worried about elements, if wanting more knits, if wanting rugged, consider Tripeltek tablet.  

Video of Ipad 11" on StartRc tablet holder. DJI sells similar holder.
2022-2-7
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Caveats: I'm in Southern California, so the temperatures rarely drop below 60F (15C) during regular flying times. We do have very bright daylight though due to mostly unobstructed sun.

I have used iPad Pro 12.9" in the past with my Mavic 2 Pro. I haven't tried to use it with M3C, since I have RC Pro.

Without the hood, it's kinda hard to read during the day. It's totally fine during sunrise/sunset time.
The iPads USB-C ports are not as tight/holding as iPhone lightning ones, so the purely mechanical cable connectivity might be an issue. Other than that, there was never a connection issue.
The sheer size requires a special holder, which can be awkward. I found it best to operate in a stationary position, like at the picnic table.
It's a great tool if you want to show the operations to other people, especially kids.
2022-2-7
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

The issue you will have is if your ipad is older, maybe 2, 3 years or more. The fly app is way more processor hungry than the Go4 and causes picture distortion, warping etc. on the monitor to the point where it is impossible to fly, plus giving you multiple warnings that your mobile device is inadequate to fly it. Of course it won't affect what is being recorded on your card it's just that you won't be able to see that at the time, or fly the aircraft! I had to shell out $US700 for a new one just to run the M3 when I still have a perfectly good older ipad that is really not much different functionality-wise.
2022-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules