VIDEO REVIEW : Ulanzi Magnetic Frame Cage for DJI Action 2!
4109 19 2022-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2022-2-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice,

I have this Ulanzi frame cage!

Great cage BUT when using only the case for the cam NO filters can be attached to the cam!!
As the Action2 needs a filter just for protection, it is a 'bad' design.

cheers
JJB
2022-2-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-5 09:02
Nice,

Due to the lip on the bottom edge when used in the camera only configuration I guess.

Nevertheless, I do not use ND filters on action cams since they interfere with the EIS - I have a tempered glass protector installed front and back on the lens and displays.
If you wanted to use filters then the Tilta cages are ideal.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D771%26typeid%3D771
2022-2-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

UV filters can be used without affecting picture quality or stabilisation.
2022-2-6
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 2-6 03:48
UV filters can be used without affecting picture quality or stabilisation.

Yes, UV filters can be used, although the Tilta cage is much better suited if you would like to use UV or PL filters since there is absolutely no lip etc on either cage.
With this Ulanzi filter the lip around the bottom of the single camera cage gets in the way - although should be fine with the dual cage configuration though.
2022-2-6
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just ordered it yesterday.
2022-2-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello IftiBashir. Good day and thank you for sharing this interesting video you have created for the DJI Action 2. Nicely done and have a nice day.
2022-2-6
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2022-2-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video!
2022-2-9
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Around 7:20ish you show that you can attach a power/screen module while using the cage on the main camera unit only, which gives the USB-C power access.

Does this mean you could use this, plug power into the main camera module and does that charge both the power/screen module when it's attached as well?  If so, if you were to then plug a USB-C microphone into the bottom screen/power module... does the charging continue to both units and also get the USB-C microphone working from the screen/power module?

Sorry if that's confusing, basically just wondering if this would give you 2 USB-C ports, one to charge and one to use a mic on.

Thanks for the reviews!
2022-2-18
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WICreekPaddler Posted at 2-18 09:34
Around 7:20ish you show that you can attach a power/screen module while using the cage on the main camera unit only, which gives the USB-C power access.

Does this mean you could use this, plug power into the main camera module and does that charge both the power/screen module when it's attached as well?  If so, if you were to then plug a USB-C microphone into the bottom screen/power module... does the charging continue to both units and also get the USB-C microphone working from the screen/power module?

These are simply pass through pins - so you can only do with them as you would with the default camera as far as I'm aware, since they still feed back to the camera module the same direct connection. So if it doesn't work without the frame and in its default 'naked' configuration, then it wouldn't work here either.
To charge both module units you neeed to plug power directly into the display/power module - its top pins are not used as power input - only as output to the camera module.
2022-2-18
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like the SmallRig cage is very similar to the Ulanzi cage in the sense that they both allow connection of USB Power, as well as the display/power module when the camera module is in its cage alone.
The SmallRig cage has a hinged design, however.

I may pick up the SmallRig cages and review those in detail too if there is any interest?
2022-2-22
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

IftiBashir Posted at 2-22 02:25
Seems like the SmallRig cage is very similar to the Ulanzi cage in the sense that they both allow connection of USB Power, as well as the display/power module when the camera module is in its cage alone.
The SmallRig cage has a hinged design, however.

I have the small rig cage just for the main module.  The difference is the cage for the main module doesn't have USB-C power pass through.  

That's where my hope was (with the Ulanzi) that maybe the main cage for the camera (which has a USB-C port built in) would power the main unit + keep a charge for the bottom module while opening up a USB-C port on the module to be used with an accessory.  

The smallrig cage for the main module is nice, I keep it on there all the time because it helps with the heat over long periods of time but it doesn't have that USB-C power built in.  They have their own magnetic mount that has the USB-C built in.

My only observation after having it for a few weeks was that sometimes the module wasn't reading properly because the main camera unit in the cage wasn't perfectly aligned and therefore it wasn't reading the memory card all the time.  Usually I could kind of press on the camera to make it more snug on the pins (usually need to push it forward in the cage ever so slightly) and then when I plug in the module it read the SD card again from the attached module.

Overall Smallrig is a nicely built cage but I might want to try out the Ulanzi one myself too before making a final decision... however that Ulanzi cage is sold it right now.
2022-2-22
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Ulanzi Cage is probably the best out of the bunch to be fair!
2022-3-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mine is in transit.  (Just doing my best to keep your videos at the top of the forum   )
2022-3-13
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-13 13:10
Mine is in transit.  (Just doing my best to keep your videos at the top of the forum   )

lol Thanks!

Good to see them coming back into stock again!
2022-3-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I see that relevant areas of China are coming under total Covid lockdowns... which might well have an impact on availability of all this kind of thing.  I wish them a swift success with their health measures!
2022-3-14
Use props
djiuser_UE6dvnRJSubI
New

Philippines

can anyone confirm? does the ulanzi cage support type-c to type-c charging (for the camera module only)? coz mine doesn't work.
2022-6-21
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes it should support USB charging when using the camera module alone....
2022-7-14
Use props
djiuser_sr9oLrx3wPRV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42103 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-5 09:02
Nice,

Hi,
What filters do you use? Maybe freewell or pgytech? Do they fit when using full cage?
2022-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules