RTH question
685 8 2022-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So I have a question, if I am on the side of a hill and the RTH is set at 30m, then fly up the hill still at 30m above ground but indicated as say 70m due to the hillside then hit RTH will the drone lose altitude to 30m as it thinks it's at 70m?
2022-2-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In RTH it will never fly down to the RTH height setting, it will only fly up if it is below that setting.
2022-2-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If your drone is higher than the RTH height, it won't ever descend to the RTH height.
It will head home at the height it is already at.
2022-2-6
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks, I kind of thought so, but better to ask. I have a plan to fly to an area when the weather gets better which is on a hill side.
2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just make sure that the set RTH height is high enough to clear any obstacles on the hill too.
2022-2-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

The RTH "logic" leaves much to ask for.  You should read up on how it really works (by the help of skilled people here among other sources) and then never trust it anyway.

2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 2-6 08:56
The RTH "logic" leaves much to ask for.

Just for curiosity, how do you suggest DJI should improve the RTH?
2022-2-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-6 09:32
Just for curiosity, how do you suggest DJI should improve the RTH?

To achieve that they have to incorporate some high level AI to take into consideration all aspects of the environment as previously discussed. If that is accomplished, then the DJI support would not have a clue what you are asking about if the RTH was dynamic.
2022-2-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 2-6 09:39
To achieve that they have to incorporate some high level AI to take into consideration all aspects of the environment as previously discussed. If that is accomplished, then the DJI support would not have a clue what you are asking about if the RTH was dynamic.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that entail a total redesign of the electronic hardware i.e. a new model of drone? Or are you suggesting there is an inadequate usage of the capabilities of the existing hardware? We already complain about prices, who would want to pay the additional? cost of a "high level AI"?
How can a drone such as the Mini 2, with only downward looking sensors, be made aware of its environment? Even if the drone stored a topographical map of the region, does that take into account trees etc.? Even if it were to use the main camera that has a limited field of view.

" as previously discussed." Where?
2022-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules