DJI Mini 2 yaw problem
2108 8 2022-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stony99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100489 ft
United States

For the last several times I few my mini 2, I noticed that the yaw would drift to the right.  It would do it every time no matter where I flew it.  It would go up, and without any control input it would slowly turn to the right.  So I would  correct it, and after a few minutes it would stop doing it.   It is  not the wind or any outside forces. The bird just turns to the right for some odd reason.   I let it do it one time to see how far it would go and it got to nearly 90 degrees before I corrected it.   I did not notice it dong it when I flew it straight forward, only when it sat still.  So today I decided to ask everyone here if this is a problem others have had or is having.     THEN- I flew it just an hour ago and it DID NOT DO IT!  So I am stumped!  Any ideas?
2022-2-6
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Slightly bent or damaged prop
2022-2-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Stony99. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. may we please know before having this issue was there a hard landing or a crash that happened to the said DJI Drone? Thank you.
2022-2-6
Use props
Stony99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100489 ft
United States

No, this was never crashed, but I did use it to trim some tree branches once.   It was unplanned.  There was almost no damage to the props, just a very small burr I removed with #600 sandpaper.  I will change props and try it.     Thanks for the help.
2022-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

So what keeps drone straight and locked in place. GPS and sensors will keep it locked in place. If these are working then you might need to check IMU , it may need calibration. Below you’ll read what exactly IMU does and what can happen if its out of kilter.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surf as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ;
2022-2-7
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

I've had the same problem for months. New propellers haven't fixed it. Calibrations haven't fixed it. the only thing that has fixed it is moving around in the air. When it starts to do it, I spin the drone around 360 degrees and it doesn't do it for the rest of the flight.
2022-2-7
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

DJI Stephen, I have just aquired a problem with YAW in my Mini2, which may be related to Stoney99 problem.  I flew Mini2 in backyard
yesterday - all went well.  Today I went to the Model Airplane Flying Field, fully charged Mini2 amd fully charged Smart Controller,
Authorization was already granted, and when I flew the craft up and down, ALL WELL, when I turned the craft left and right ALL WELL,
when YAW to right all well, when I yaw left NOTHING, it just hovers, no tilting to the left.  I tried all 3 stick configurations *normally I fly in MODE2)
I tried adjusting the yaw smoothness, pitch, and other things, nothing, still just hovering.  Turned off Mini2 and Smart Controller, waited about 5
minutes.  Turned everything back on, SAME results it would NOT yaw to left.  Left flying field, went home, turned everything on in backyard and
tested all the motions, up/down, turn left/right, yaw left/right.  ALL worked fine???  The fly Park is 6 miles away and in an Authorization Zone
due to the park being in an area where aircraft gain/loose altitude when coming from/going to airport.  There was a low ceiling for regular
aircraft due to low clouds.  I did not notice the number of Satellites listed on the Smart Controller.
2022-4-28
Use props
ScoutC03
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152644 ft
Finland

blue_canyon21 Posted at 2-7 12:55
I've had the same problem for months. New propellers haven't fixed it. Calibrations haven't fixed it. the only thing that has fixed it is moving around in the air. When it starts to do it, I spin the drone around 360 degrees and it doesn't do it for the rest of the flight.

I did fly with a damaged props and it performed just fine. Actually piece missing so I think that digital control can compensate a _lot_.

I play with it some times, have it hovering in front of you, you may push it from the leg and shake it quite a bit and it just deals with it. You may even drag it sideways from a leg and after you let it go, it goes back where it was. It is very very impressing.  So' I don't think it minds too much about the uneven props. Of course bad prop will cause vibration and that is deadly for bearings etc. etc.

EDIT:  I read about stick drift of watched from youtube but that was a thing, if you dont remove the controls sticks and put controller in the bag or so and stick might be deflected for a long time and would not come back to neutral anymore. Does not seemes to the case here I assume.
2022-4-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

best to post your flightlog for this issue

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2022-4-28