545 4 2022-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harbor Pictures Company
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693035 ft
United States

Hi all,

I thought I’d share a recent tweak to my setup. I use an iPad Pro with my Mavic 2 Pro, and I’ve been using the PolarPro FlightDeck. Pretty happy with it, but the plastic clamp bracket for the iPad left a little to be desired in regards to how solid it held the iPad. To get a decent grip I needed to take the iPad out of its protective case.

Not a big problem, but with the iPad fully exposed, I noticed it would shutdown due to the cold at times. Talking below freezing, in the 20 degrees F area. I figured it would do better in its case, and it did.

I had a Matthews Universal Tablet (MUT) mount laying around that I got a number of years ago for use on set. It’s a great table holder, fully adjustable, and has a very solid lock mechanism, and good sized ears to hold the tablet by two corners. Easy to use with a cover on too. So I swapped out the PolarPro bracket for it by putting the small quick mount piece on the MUT.

It gave me two things - now I can fly in below freezing temps without the iPad shutting down due to cold, So far I’ve flown jobs through several batteries for an hour plus without issue. Before keeping the iPad in it’s case I’d often loose the iPad in the first battery and switch to the iPhone while it warmed back up inside my jacket. The second is that it’s a much more solid configuration. There no accidental knocking the iPad out of a plastic clip.

If you are interested, Google Matthews Universal Tablet mount and pick one up. You can find them for about 80 bucks at B&H. Matthews discontinued them, but they are still around.

2022-2-9
Use props
Harbor Pictures Company
lvl.2
United States

Here’s some pics of the setup.

2022-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Harbor Pictures Company. Good day and thank you for giving out these interesting information with us. You have a cool setup. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-2-9
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

What about the balance of the mounting hardware that clamps on the controller?   Looks like a lot of iron.   Thanks and it does look good.
2022-2-10
Use props
Harbor Pictures Company
lvl.2
United States

vonbaron1 Posted at 2-10 15:30
What about the balance of the mounting hardware that clamps on the controller?   Looks like a lot of iron.   Thanks and it does look good.

It’s all aluminum, so it’s not too bad. I think the iPad is the heaviest part of the setup. I use a padded camera strap to hold it around my neck. When I’m flying I hold it with my hands, no support from the strap. I don’t really notice the weight of it. It’s a pretty good balance. The PolarPro holder let’s you move the tablet in / out relative to the controller so you can find a good balance and maintain visibility on the controller. The MUT is the best part for me. It eliminated the weak plastic clamp holding an expensive tablet - and let me keep it in the case.
2022-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules