Is the Action 2 still prone to extreme heat issues?
12Next >
25431 40 2022-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parisi2274
Second Officer
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

Hi All

Have been looking at the Action 2 recently because its on sale and was thinking of taking the plunge, but I remember watching a bunch of YT videos when it launched and one of the main complaints across all the impression videos I watched was that the unit got so hot after just a few minutes of recording in 4k60 and so I was curious if this is still an issue after the FW updates that have come out since it's launch?  

Thanks!
2022-2-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Parisi2274. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The DJI Action 2 is constructed of aluminum alloy that can be prone to fast heat conduction and dissipation. Given that the DJI Action 2 supports 4K/120fps video recording, it’s normal for the camera unit to get hot when recording. The DJI Action 2 has a built-in temperature control system and the DJI Action 2 will automatically send a prompt to stop recording when the camera temperature reaches the set value. The Auto-Stop Rec Temp supports two set value settings ( Standard: 48℃ and High: 53℃ ). You can adjust the Auto-Stop Rec Temp in the settings according to your usage habits and preferences. ( *When using the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit separately, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the frame temperature. When connected with the Front Touchscreen Module or Power Module, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the connected module’s frame temperature. There might be a temperature difference of around 1 to 2℃ ). Thank you.
2022-2-9
Use props
Parisi2274
Second Officer
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-9 20:18
Hello there Parisi2274. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The DJI Action 2 is constructed of aluminum alloy that can be prone to fast heat conduction and dissipation. Given that the DJI Action 2 supports 4K/120fps video recording, it’s normal for the camera unit to get hot when recording. The DJI Action 2 has a built-in temperature control system and the DJI Action 2 will automatically send a prompt to stop recording when the camera temperature reaches the set value. The Auto-Stop Rec Temp supports two set value settings ( Standard: 48℃ and High: 53℃ ). You can adjust the Auto-Stop Rec Temp in the settings according to your usage habits and preferences. ( *When using the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit separately, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the frame temperature. When connected with the Front Touchscreen Module or Power Module, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the connected module’s frame temperature. There might be a temperature difference of around 1 to 2℃ ). Thank you.

Yes, I read this exact text on the Action 2 product page.... I was hoping that one of the FW updates might've fixed this issue.... guess not.  
2022-2-9
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

we are working on this.
will let you know when next firmware comes out.
2022-2-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The issue cannot be 'fixed' and affects all cameras - even the latest GoPro Hero 10 has the same heat issue.
The problem is these cameras contain chips that are seriously powerful in a very small, tight frame.. With that power, comes heat. It's inevitable.

If you are going to run 4k/120, with EIS stabilisation on, and keep the camera in a fixed location - then yes - any action camera would overheat. It's not designed to be used that way.
For instance, why would you want EIS on if the camera is stationary??
Why would you want so much 4K/120 footage? It would look boring in your final project when slowed down!

Hence if you switch EIS/Rocksteady off, and have a more suited frame rate, the camera lasts much longer and is generally fine.
Also you need some airflow. So if you are using Rocksteady EIS, and the camera is actually moving (as intended) then the airflow generally cools the camera and again, its generally fine.
Again, if using 4k/120 to capture action outdoors (you need plenty of good light for such high frame rates anyways) and have good airflow, you are generally fine.

In fact this is exactly what GoPro has done. Their 'fix' for the overheating issue was to release a new 'mode', which switches off EIS as well as GPS, hence reducing the stress on the chipset, and reducing heat. They didn't actually fix the original issue at all, they just created a mode that took away the features that were not needed in 'Tripod Mode', and everyone thinks everything is fixed!

Have I replicated overheating - yes during testing I have.
Have I experienced it when actually using the camera outdoors as intended, no I haven't. Ive been using the Action 2 outdoors - mounted to my bike, mounted to myself etc - and have had EIS on and resolutions high, and I haven't had any overheating issues whatsoever. For me it's been perfectly fine. Fine to the extent where I am actually looking to sell my GoPro Hero 10 due to lack of use!

It really comes down to how you use the camera. If you are going to keep it stationary on a tripod, and turn on all settings and features even though they are not needed, then yes, any action camera will overheat. If you have the  camera facing you, vlogging setup style, then you dont need to capture in 4k/120 or have EIS on, so why have them on?? If you are mounting on your bike/head/chest for some POV shots, then switch on the EIS and increase the frame rate if you need to - the added airflow will help carry some of that heat away.

If you use it as intended, then you most likely won't have any issues at all - and this is coming from someone who has been using, and has had every GoPro released, for years - since the Hero 2!!

2022-2-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2022-2-10
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

IftiBashir Posted at 2-10 00:10
The issue cannot be 'fixed' and affects all cameras - even the latest GoPro Hero 10 has the same heat issue.
The problem is these cameras contain chips that are seriously powerful in a very small, tight frame.. With that power, comes heat. It's inevitable.

HI IftiBashir. Thanks for the sharing.
Action2 firmware 01.02.00.10 had provided "steady" mode to reduce a lot power consumption.

we are also working on another solution for much longer recording time for camera unit.

2022-2-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 2-10 01:28
HI IftiBashir. Thanks for the sharing.
Action2 firmware 01.02.00.10 had provided "steady" mode to reduce a lot power consumption.

Thank you.
Yes this is what I meant. You cannot 'fix' an overheating issue unless you make physical hardware changes - introduce extra cooling via heatsinks etc for instance. But you can minimise the issue as much as possible by tweaking how the camera is used, such as introducing modes that reduce the load placed on the chipset, and hence reduce the heat buildup in the first instance. Exactly what GoPro have done, and its unfair that DJI are doing the same (much more efficiently I may add) yet its not acknowledged as much!

As I said, Ive had no heat issues with normal use so far, and I welcome the updated modes!
Saying that, summer is approaching so best not speak too soon! lol.........
2022-2-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

That's interesting - I am sure that we are only at the start of an interesting FW update journey with the Action 2, and personally I am glad to be along for the ride.  With my use of the camera, I've not encountered overheating in real-world use (and I purchased it as soon as it was released).  I concur with Ifti's summary.  Unless your use case really demands extreme settings for prolonged periods, you shouldn't be disappointed.  The classic case of misuse I saw was a reviewer who complained about overheating when he was vlogging, talking to the camera, at 4K120 - er, slow motion vlogging??  I couldn't quite picture that...
2022-2-10
Use props
bbalzer
lvl.4
United States

I haven't had issues with my DJI Action 2 since purchase.  The only time I could get it to over heat was when I was doing something unrealistically like plugging it into a power bank and recording at the max resolution and frame rate.  I need an action camera that can plug into a power bank and record looping for 5-7 hours at a time.  That being said, I don't need it to be looping at 60 fps or 120 fps... I typically wouldn't need more than 30 fps and when I tried to plug the Action 2 into a power bank and let it record at 4k 30fps, it would record for hours and hours without any over heating issues.  

That being said, I'm a little leery on how it'll run on my kayak in the summer time in the heat while going at 4k 30fps for hours at a time but I'm hopeful with the R&D group from DJI and the improvements that it'll run fine.  I will say my Osmo Action 1 had no heat issues when being placed on my hat for 5-6 hours in the direct sunlight doing 4k 30fps... so I'm hopeful for the Action 2 to follow along too.

When I was testing for testing sake at frame rates like 60+, I will say I got longer recording times after I purchased the SmallRig cage for the main camera module.  It almost acted like a minor heat sink for the unit and although it still got hot, I did get longer recording times with that on the unit versus not.  Not trying to plug anything as I purchased it myself but thought it was worth noting.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase because it does still allow me to do what I want to do with it, while also changing to 120 fps for a few clips here and there when necessary.
2022-2-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice to hear some positive comments for a change!!!

I still need to use my camera in the heat of summer, so we'll see how that goes, but again I rarely record over 2.7k/60 (I find the image quality difference between 2.7k and 4k to be so minor that it doesn't warrant the extra storage space - I can upscale 2.7k to a 4k timeline and can't see hardly any difference!).
I will also be using a Tilta cage - hopefully that will help dissipate some of the heat too.

Either way I have no concerns - put it this way, but Hero 10 is actually going up for sale as I no longer use it!! I have more faith in DJI's FW updates then I do in GoPro's......
2022-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

IftiBashir Posted at 2-10 02:02
Thank you.
Yes this is what I meant. You cannot 'fix' an overheating issue unless you make physical hardware changes - introduce extra cooling via heatsinks etc for instance. But you can minimise the issue as much as possible by tweaking how the camera is used, such as introducing modes that reduce the load placed on the chipset, and hence reduce the heat buildup in the first instance. Exactly what GoPro have done, and its unfair that DJI are doing the same (much more efficiently I may add) yet its not acknowledged as much!

I have discovered something with my DSLR>
When I don't save the footage to my SD card, but record to an external device via HDMI, it stays super cool.
2022-2-18
Use props
fans53756491
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18652 ft
  • >>>
Israel

IftiBashir Posted at 2-10 02:02
Thank you.
Yes this is what I meant. You cannot 'fix' an overheating issue unless you make physical hardware changes - introduce extra cooling via heatsinks etc for instance. But you can minimise the issue as much as possible by tweaking how the camera is used, such as introducing modes that reduce the load placed on the chipset, and hence reduce the heat buildup in the first instance. Exactly what GoPro have done, and its unfair that DJI are doing the same (much more efficiently I may add) yet its not acknowledged as much!

Hi bashir
Did you tried to take video in 4k 60frame? For how long the extra battery will last?
2022-3-21
Use props
djiuser_qsIkdFSodRGU
lvl.1
United States

So I bought my device while in Europe on a short stay.
My profile is set to US and also im connected to my ”US wifi”, still im getting the ”high” setting greyed out?

How can I get this option to work?
2022-3-21
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

For what it's worth, on the high temp setting, in 65F weather, my Action 2 plus Power Module recorded for 87 minutes straight at 4k30, leaving 47% battery, and showing no sign of stopping.  And that's without the new magnetic case that DJI is putting out.  (Admittedly, it was mounted to my bike, so it did have a lot of air flowing around it).
2022-3-21
Use props
WZRD
lvl.1
Sweden

Thanks for the input! Im recording indoors and on a tripod mainly, so that extra high setting will make quite big difference in my case.

Nobody got any pointers on this issue?
8D841C8C-AAE4-4F9D-B150-78E62636A5DF.jpeg
2022-3-22
Use props
fans6749b23e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes it is still going on. I can only record 10 minutes in 4K 60fp before it overheats and stops recording. Sent the action 2 back to DJI and they replaced it and the new one does the same thing. They will not refund the money and tell me to user 720p resolution.
F277F441-8B7B-4CB6-83FD-3CFEBED9845D.jpeg
2022-3-22
Use props
Markie8
lvl.2
United Kingdom

WZRD Posted at 3-22 12:10
Thanks for the input! Im recording indoors and on a tripod mainly, so that extra high setting will make quite big difference in my case.

Nobody got any pointers on this issue?[Image]

I think the high setting is based on your region/country. I saw a review about it. Im in the UK and high setting is disabled, unless it's an issue with the software update.
2022-3-22
Use props
WZRD
lvl.1
Sweden

Markie8 Posted at 3-22 17:30
I think the high setting is based on your region/country. I saw a review about it. Im in the UK and high setting is disabled, unless it's an issue with the software update.
Yeah i read about that too, Europe and UK not having this setting. Im in the US though, but the camera was bought in Europe..

Im hoping this setting is like the CE/FCC setting of the drones, when not in Europe it should be available but since the device itself dont have a GPS unlike the drones, it might be some setting or software needed?
2022-3-22
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

WZRD Posted at 3-22 21:49
Yeah i read about that too, Europe and UK not having this setting. Im in the US though, but the camera was bought in Europe..

Im hoping this setting is like the CE/FCC setting of the drones, when not in Europe it should be available but since the device itself dont have a GPS unlike the drones, it might be some setting or software needed?

If u are not in Europe.

plz connect MIMO app to action2, enter the camera that u can see liveview from action2.

MIMO will notify the region change, u just need to select OK.
Then the action2 configuration will be updated, which can use High temp.
2022-3-23
Use props
WZRD
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-23 02:46
If u are not in Europe.

plz connect MIMO app to action2, enter the camera that u can see liveview from action2.
Thanks for the reply!
Something is really weird, the option is not selectable in the app, ”Standard” shows as selected it’s still greyed out in the camera, BUT the high-setting is now ticked on cam?

Recording in 4K turns off after about 2,5 min though, same as in ”standard” mode.

*Note - region prompt never show up in the app, im in TX, USA and have locationservice and wifi connected.
99B8438D-C64F-481D-B8D5-11E846B7F8AC.jpeg
7FD50C0D-D11B-435C-AA6D-A6372FB27AB5.jpeg
2022-3-24
Use props
bocian666
lvl.2
Flight distance : 708133 ft
United Kingdom

Hello I like your post . I would like to ask you a question since I can see you know more than I do. No sarcasm there. Full respect. I’m playing airsoft. It’s not always run but it’s not static neither so sometimes there is no wind to cool down camera. I play all weather all year. I do shot the action not myself so when or if I’m running and shooting I need good stabilisation and so far I was using GoPro 7 hyper smooth with good results but GoPro often get freeze so no footage then , therefore I’m looking for Dji. Now, 2.7k 60fps  with good stabilisation(EIS) is good enough for me. Do You know ,Will this camera get overheat on those settings or will it be perfectly fine ?. Thank you for taking time to reply
2022-3-24
Use props
WZRD
lvl.1
Sweden

bocian666 Posted at 3-24 12:58
Hello I like your post . I would like to ask you a question since I can see you know more than I do. No sarcasm there. Full respect. I’m playing airsoft. It’s not always run but it’s not static neither so sometimes there is no wind to cool down camera. I play all weather all year. I do shot the action not myself so when or if I’m running and shooting I need good stabilisation and so far I was using GoPro 7 hyper smooth with good results but GoPro often get freeze so no footage then , therefore I’m looking for Dji. Now, 2.7k 60fps  with good stabilisation(EIS) is good enough for me. Do You know ,Will this camera get overheat on those settings or will it be perfectly fine ?. Thank you for taking time to reply
Running 2.7/60fps indoors with no airflow gives about 10min recording with the autoshutdown set to ”standard”.
2022-3-24
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello I like your post . I would like to ask you a question since I can see you know more than I do. No sarcasm there. Full respect. I’m playing airsoft. It’s not always run but it’s not static neither so sometimes there is no wind to cool down camera. I play all weather all year. I do shot the action not myself so when or if I’m running and shooting I need good stabilisation and so far I was using GoPro 7 hyper smooth with good results but GoPro often get freeze so no footage then , therefore I’m looking for Dji. Now, 2.7k 60fps  with good stabilisation(EIS) is good enough for me. Do You know ,Will this camera get overheat on those settings or will it be perfectly fine ?. Thank you for taking time to reply

What you need to remember is the Action 2 isn't really a camera that you can set to record and leave for long periods of time unfortunately. With the GoPro you can set and forget, and most of the time it'll just keep recording for the full hour or more, depending upon battery and memory card capacity of course.
The Action 2 is more a camera for recording shorter clips here and there - 5-10 mins or so due to limitations according to the configuration used - use the camera alone, for example, and you're limited to battery life and storage capacity - with the module attached you get longer life, but have to be careful with airflow where possible too......
2022-3-25
Use props
Markie8
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I do mountain biking so I move quite fast so airflow is not an issue (haha) however I only record when I need/want to not the full length of the course. I set my camera to record and 3secs screen shutoff to reduce heat and prolong battery.
2022-3-25
Use props
bocian666
lvl.2
United Kingdom

WZRD Posted at 3-24 13:11
Running 2.7/60fps indoors with no airflow gives about 10min recording with the autoshutdown set to ”standard”.

Thank you very much for your reply. it looks like very expensive 10 minutes taking the price of this in UK  is £385. I don’t need something for all day around so that’s not an option then. Do you know if the first Dji action cam have the same issues?.
2022-3-25
Use props
Markie8
lvl.2
United Kingdom

bocian666 Posted at 3-25 05:41
Thank you very much for your reply. it looks like very expensive 10 minutes taking the price of this in UK  is £385. I don’t need something for all day around so that’s not an option then. Do you know if the first Dji action cam have the same issues?.

Haha unless you're playing as a sniper where you're static most of the time, it's steep for £385 only if you need the dual screen combo.

I think if you're using it outdoor even with little breeze it should be fine as you said you'll be running around as well, I could be wrong though but apparently the new case should help to dissipate/reduce heat issue.  
2022-3-25
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Markie8 Posted at 3-25 06:18
Haha unless you're playing as a sniper where you're static most of the time, it's steep for £385 only if you need the dual screen combo.

I think if you're using it outdoor even with little breeze it should be fine as you said you'll be running around as well, I could be wrong though but apparently the new case should help to dissipate/reduce heat issue.

Case won't reduce heat at all - in fact it will do the opposite - it just allows the camera to run hotter for slightly longer since you no longer touch the camera surface, hence won't burn your fingers!
2022-3-25
Use props
bocian666
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Markie8 Posted at 3-25 06:18
Haha unless you're playing as a sniper where you're static most of the time, it's steep for £385 only if you need the dual screen combo.

No sniping, walk  run shoot. I’m looking forward to hear some good news. I really want to put hands on this camera but at the moment it doesn’t looks promising
2022-3-25
Use props
Markie8
lvl.2
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 3-25 09:30
Case won't reduce heat at all - in fact it will do the opposite - it just allows the camera to run hotter for slightly longer since you no longer touch the camera surface, hence won't burn your fingers!

Ah yeah you're correct, I misread the post about it. I thought it will help to dissipate the heat but it's just a protective case.
2022-3-25
Use props
Markie8
lvl.2
United Kingdom

bocian666 Posted at 3-25 10:37
No sniping, walk  run shoot. I’m looking forward to hear some good news. I really want to put hands on this camera but at the moment it doesn’t looks promising

Yeah that's hard to determine what it will do during your play, most reviews says as long as you're moving around it will help reduce the heat. I think even GoPro or any camera overheats when it's on continues shooting whilst static as @IftiBashir mentioned in his comment.

Also I think most reviews on youtube are a bit misleading and bias sometimes (no offence to them) they use/test the camera indoor and say it overheats, but people who review them outside and use it how it supposed to be used never say that it's an issue.

So I guess you won't really know until you get your hand on them and actually test it yourself.

Ahah order it, try it just be careful then if it doesn't suit your need return it?
2022-3-25
Use props
David.Battle
lvl.2
United States

I have the Osmo Action and upgraded to the Action 2 but had to return it. I live in South Florida where it's hot just about every day and the unit would never record for then a few minutes before shutting down which just will not work for me. I wish there was an unlimited setting on the temp because I could care less how hot the unit is as long as it records. It's a shame too because it takes really nice video and was perfect for my uses. Bleh.
2022-4-1
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

bocian666 Posted at 3-25 10:37
No sniping, walk  run shoot. I’m looking forward to hear some good news. I really want to put hands on this camera but at the moment it doesn’t looks promising

I've had it for a few months now and haven't had it over heat unless I tested it in a scenario just to see how long it would take to over heat.  (4k 60-120fps).

I've had this run for 3+ hours with a power bank at 4k 30fps while sitting on a desk indoors and not had it over heat.  I don't normally use it beyond 30 fps or if I end up using it beyond 30 fps, it's for short clips that are under 10 minutes (usually more like 1-2 minutes but I've had it run 10+ minutes at higher frame rates with the high temp threshold).

I also use a Small Rig cage which claims to help heat dissipation, and in my testing it certainly does help keep the camera a bit cooler.

That being said...

TL;DR - No over heating issue for me indoors/outdoors at long durations at 4k 30fps.  My GoPro Hero 10 is the same with the above statements as well.  This has been an action camera issue with high FPS the past 2-ish years.  
2022-4-1
Use props
mustLearnMore
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1096 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 2-10 05:13
Nice to hear some positive comments for a change!!!

I still need to use my camera in the heat of summer, so we'll see how that goes, but again I rarely record over 2.7k/60 (I find the image quality difference between 2.7k and 4k to be so minor that it doesn't warrant the extra storage space - I can upscale 2.7k to a 4k timeline and can't see hardly any difference!).

Thank you, brother. I was dead set against getting this after seeing so many YouTubers complaining about the overheating issues. But after reading what you've said, I'm definitely going to reconsider. I'll give it a go, and worse case scenario is I'll return it for a refund.

Thanks loads!
2022-4-20
Use props
sn0w
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74590 ft
Poland

Hi,

I've got issue with Overheating.
I'm flying a FPV Drone (not the DJI one) and there shouldn't be a problem with airflow but it is.
Sometimes when i land i've got only information that the camera is overheated and cannot record videos and i have to wait some time to cool it down - it was around 29-31 Celsius outside. Settings are 2.7k60fps RS on.

I tested it in my home and at 2.7k30fps it is recording only around 4min. It stays flat on the table without moving air around it etc. I live in Europe and im curious how to extend the time of recording in 2.7k30fps with RockSteady? I dont need any others settings just that. It will be great to take a video around 10mins without any overheating at all.

Thanks and sorry for all typos when you reading this ;)
2022-8-27
Use props
fans53756491
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18652 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Great explaintion.
2022-11-20
Use props
Saars
lvl.1
Norway

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-9 20:18

"is constructed of aluminum alloy that can be prone to fast heat conduction and dissipation"
This wording ("prone to") makes it sound like it is a weakness of the material when in fact it is the advantage of the material and the reason why it is so widely adopted for cooling solutions.

The DJI Action 2 simply have a very undersized cooling solution (and possibly less than ideal thermal transfer to the heatsink, although the specific areas of weaknesses of the design is speculation without opening it up and investigating the issue). It is not designed for the hardware they put in. This is simply a fact. It is not the user using it wrong, the cooling solution should be a lot better. The fact that other cameras also struggles with heat is not really a good excuse. I should not be. And DJI Action 2 was considerably worse in this regard compared to its competitors.

It has supposedly been improved through firmware updates in the form of making it run more effienctly but also downgrading certain aspects. The former of those two is the approach you want to take. However, on the last firmware, the problem is still there. Having that said, I rather want good video quality than for it to be lowered for the sake of longer shooting. This is what settings and profiles are for! User choice.

You can buy aftermarket cooling cases, some better than others. Using the screen module or battery module has been shown to offload the Action 2 camera module thermally. Likely because of certain operations are handed to the second unit. The cooling cases helps but there is still a problem wih overheating because the cooling solution is not properly designed. I do not know how efficiently the thermal energy from the internal chips are transferred to the aluminium and what type of thermal pads they use - but the end-result of overheating comes down to cooling design.

I, for one, wish that we had more insight into this as well as better settings. I do not want to sacrifice video quality because of this. I will make active cooling if I have to (although I will never buy a camera again with such an undersized cooling solution). I already think there is too much noise and lack of detail in the shots, some is probably due to the fish-eye lens but I suspect that it is also bitrate- and postprosessing-related

I still like the good aspects of this camera, but I would not have bought it if it was not on sale and today I would rather buy the Action 3. I still wish there was better alternatives, specially with 1/4"-20 mounting. The magnetic mounting solution is not good enough for "action scenarios" like the product name implies.

I solved this by using a cooling case, like previously mentioned. Although I with the actual housing was designed like this in the first place.
2022-11-30
Use props
Saars
lvl.1
Norway

WZRD Posted at 3-22 12:10
Thanks for the input! Im recording indoors and on a tripod mainly, so that extra high setting will make quite big difference in my case.

Nobody got any pointers on this issue?

I want to inform you that by raising the temperature limit you will increase component wear considerably. Heat is one of the biggest concerns regarding longevity, especially the battery.

When it comes to the battery you will be able to prolong the life greatly (possibly by several hundrer per cent) by limiting the upper state of charge level). This is universal for lithium technologies and is very well documented and statistically confirmed.

The problem is that there is no way to limit the SoC through software. It will continue to charge until it reaches 100 % and keep it there. The worst thing you can do for a lithium battery is to subject it too high SoC states as well as subjecting it to heat.

I do not know what voltage limit DJI has set for the camera but the point still stands, limiting upper SoC greatly benefit longevity.

So be careful with this setting and know that you are in fact wearing your device faster. The battery is also trapped inside this little enclosure as heat builds up, I do not expect it to last very long and hope there will be decent battery replacements available when the times comes that I have to open it up and fix it. At that point I will probably put a custom case and lens adapter on it too.

I also limit the charge level, especially when storing it. Keep in mind that it will self-discharge even stored. So never put your devices in storage with a low charge level (and not too high, below 80 or 90 % helps a lot). The longevity gains are exponential. As you go down to the middle (where lithium batteries last the longest) you will see diminishing returns. And it is also a compromise between battery life and practicality.

If you charge lithium devices to 100 %, do not let it sit on 100 % if you care about longevity. Also keep in mind that the 100 % is defined by the manufacturer, so sometimes they push the capacity very far at the cost of longevity, other times they set a low capacity number for longevity. Though, again, the points still stand as the closer to the middle (50 to 60 %), the better it is for a lithium battery.
2022-11-30
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Saars Posted at 11-30 11:59
I want to inform you that by raising the temperature limit you will increase component wear considerably. Heat is one of the biggest concerns regarding longevity, especially the battery.

When it comes to the battery you will be able to prolong the life greatly (possibly by several hundrer per cent) by limiting the upper state of charge level). This is universal for lithium technologies and is very well documented and statistically confirmed.

The temperature threshold on the Action 2 limits surface temperature to about 45-50 deg Celsius (exact numbers are in other threads in the forum). That is quite far away from concerning w.r.t. wear of electronic components.
2022-11-30
Use props
Saars
lvl.1
Norway

fish sticks Posted at 11-30 13:33
The temperature threshold on the Action 2 limits surface temperature to about 45-50 deg Celsius (exact numbers are in other threads in the forum). That is quite far away from concerning w.r.t. wear of electronic components.

Updated:
Please clarify whether you mean outer housing surface temperature or component temperature sensor temperature (to be clear, I assumed the former alternative in the original reply below). Normally I would find the former case to be strange, but it is not necessarily so strange considering people handle this device by hand and the fact that too high of a surface temperature could lead to injuries. In case of the former it either has to be estimated (offset curve?) or they have put a temperature sensor at the housing.

Original reply:
I respectfully disagree. The temperature of the outer surface of the heatsink where heat is dissipated into the air is lower than the temperature of the internal components. It is not a 1:1 ratio. The temperature of 45 to 50 degrees is around the threshold at which the degradation of battery cycle life increases exponentially.

So it is a question of how well the battery and other internal components are able to rid itself of heat, to what degree they affect each other and how much of it will be trapped inside. The cooling solution is unable to dissipate the thermal at the same rate at which it builds up. You have to consider the chip to outer surface temperature offset and thermal resistance. Just like the core temperature of a steak will increase after you remove it from the heat source, I expect the same to happen when the camera firmware stops recording. It cannot rid itself of this heat instantly, especially if the ability of the heatsink to dissipate energy is limited.

So further raising these limits, especially if we are talking about the outer surface temperature, have to negatively affect longevity of internal components to a degree that should make people avoid using the increased temperature limit settings.
2022-11-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules