1817 10 2022-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

There should be no change in exposure at all which is confirmed in the SRT file (see settings below). If you can't see it, look at the sky. It's more obvious when I scrub through the video. Easier still, look at the scopes on the left side and it will become even more evident.

ProRes 422HQ, 5.1K, 50fps, manual exposure
[iso: 100] [shutter: 1/50.0] [fnum: 5.0] [ev: -0.3] [ct: 5600] [color_md : default] [focal_len: 24.00]

I need to go back and see if this was in any of my footage from the previous firmware versions.
2022-2-10
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

More examples. Occurred twice in one 25 minute flight. Each time it was a single frame that changed exposure in the mid-tones and highlights.

Surprised no one else is picking up on this. Then again, if you're not a pixel peeper, it is easily missed. Easiest way to spot it is with the luma scope which I use extensively to grade footage.

I highly doubt this is result of a defective unit. This would be a very unusual mode of failure.
2022-2-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You can lock down all the factors affecting exposure, and the camera will still try to auto-expose the image. I don't know why this is so, but it has been happening for quite some time in the Mavic series aircraft. Back in the days of the Phantom series, you could lock them down and they would stay that way.

If you watch the white house on the left of frame and the luminance scope, you will see the luminance go down as soon has it passes out of frame.

2022-2-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Seems they apply some kind of optimization after the image is captured.
2022-2-18
Use props
seattle_helo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56533511 ft
United States

I only record PR with the M3 and have not seen this.
2022-2-20
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

seattle_helo Posted at 2-20 11:12
I only record PR with the M3 and have not seen this.

I've now seen this on two Mavic 3 Cine so far. It isn't common and it's not easy to spot. I've checked ten or so collections I've shot on the M3C and found two so far that had flicker (each had only a few occurrences out of 20+ mins of footage each). It can be just a single frame or a long shift. It only happens in specific situations. It seems DJI is doing some sort of image adaption on the ProRes footage even with everything set to manual.

It's as if there are different gamma curves being applied in camera based on EV or percentage of frame above 80 IRE, etc. It's almost like a built-in highlight recovery that only kicks in at certain times.

DJI, please can you explain and address this?
2022-2-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ianwood Posted at 2-21 17:15
I've now seen this on two Mavic 3 Cine so far. It isn't common and it's not easy to spot. I've checked ten or so collections I've shot on the M3C and found two so far that had flicker (each had only a few occurrences out of 20+ mins of footage each). It can be just a single frame or a long shift. It only happens in specific situations. It seems DJI is doing some sort of image adaption on the ProRes footage even with everything set to manual.
It's as if there are different gamma curves being applied in camera based on EV or percentage of frame above 80 IRE, etc. It's almost like a built-in highlight recovery that only kicks in at certain times.
DJI, please can you explain and address this?

The DJI technical people do not participate in this forum, the best you will get is a vacuous response from one of the moderators promising to "escalate the situation to the responsible department", meaning they do nothing.

As I said earlier, setting everything to manual has not worked for me on my aircraft, it still performs a form of automatic exposure using simple gain, disguised as ISO.
2022-2-21
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI needs to address this:

2022-4-8
Use props
fans9df1eb6c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6975486 ft
Canada

Just found this post and following. Having similar issues with my M3Classic and M3Pro though I need to do a few more tests as it's not with all my videos (though I'm a newbie when it comes to videos).

Thanks
2023-6-16
Use props
willval
lvl.1

Ireland

Same issue here...
2023-6-16
Use props
Golfer70
lvl.1

Germany

I´ve some flicker in the bottom corners & the DJI did not really lnow what so say about it:

Video >> https://youtu.be/5b_557ut5KM

It can be observed in the very first scene of the video (taken with the Air2s) or in 2:56 (taken with the Mavic 3 classic)

I remember Canon had flickering problems when the sensor got hot, might be a similar problem here?

DJI_1.jpg
2023-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules