Invalid File?
2298 4 2022-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Anyone ever seen an "invalid file" error on the Action 2?  Every time I tried to hit record, it would immediately stop and give me this error.
For some reason, this was only happening when I had the power module attached and was recording to SD, but it worked fine to record to internal memory.

Exporting those recordings to the SD card still worked, so it's not that the card is dead.  For some reason I just could not record directly to the card.

For all of these attempted recordings, there's a 0-byte .LRF and .MP4 on the card.
2022-2-12
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which card are you using? Could it be the card isn't fast enough for the data rate during a live recording?..... Or could be a clone/fake card......

I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB with no issues whatsoever....
2022-2-12
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

It's a 256GB SanDisk Ultra, and no it's not a fake.  Honestly, I doubt it's the card, which has worked perfectly before in a Nintendo Switch before I upgraded that to higher storage, and worked for 4 months up until today.

This is a new error, even though the card worked fine literally 15 minutes earlier.

And after formatting the card, the Action 2 stopped creating these invalid files, and it works fine again.  Which really makes me think it's some sort of weird glitch in the camera firmware.
2022-2-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I tend to format the card in the camera after I complete each project.  Dunno whether that habit would have avoided your problem.
2022-2-12
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agree with above - always format in camera.

In addition the SanDisk Ultra cards are not suited to video capture. These cards are more for smartphones and game devices, like your Switch. They do not store data at a fast enough rate for higher resolutions in action cameras - Gopro used to supply the Ultra in bundle deal back with the Hero 7, but because of so many issues they dropped the use of the SanDisk Ultra at that time and now only recommend the SanDisk Extreme and above (which comes with bundles these days). They had the same issue - files randomly being corrupted.
2022-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules