Charging from a QC3.0 port
3425 19 2022-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rahtware
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15033 ft
United States

I have a mini SE (same battery as the 2) that has a charging issue. My battery charged very fast, when I hooked the drone up to my USB C smart charger with QC3.0 outlets the battery was charging at 11.7V and 1.6A which is under 19 watts. In a chat with DJI they determined something was wrong and told me to send the drone and battery in for testing and repair/replacement. The good is they determined it was the battery and replaced it for free, AND turn around door to door was 8 days! the bad is the new (mini 2) battery charges at the same rate... BTW, the battery never gets hot, or even warm when charging so I don't think it is being overcharged or at a rate that would damage it... I don't know what is going on, any ideas?
2022-2-18
Use props
shizack
lvl.3
Flight distance : 45505 ft
United States

First thought is it *may* be the cable.  Kinda doubt it, but if you have another C cable, maybe try that.

Second thought is maybe the charging block.  If you have another USB C device, try that for a bit with that block and cable just to see if it charges a bit faster than usual.

I'm sure there are other possibilities but those are what i would try first.
2022-2-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The battery has 2 charger modes, normal rate using the DJI charger or under 18w and fast charging and it will draw only what it needs (when working correctly), What is your charger capable of?
Do not believe that the readout is saying. It sounds like its charging using the fast charging side of things so its deffo at charging using more wattage than the standard charger does.

Why dont you use the standard charger or does the SE not come with one?
2022-2-18
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-18 19:20
The battery has 2 charger modes, normal rate using the DJI charger or under 18w and fast charging and it will draw only what it needs (when working correctly), What is your charger capable of?
Do not believe that the readout is saying. It sounds like its charging using the fast charging side of things so its deffo at charging using more wattage than the standard charger does.

Thanks for your response. The US version of the SE is sold only as the drone and controller, no charger.

I am hopping that someone who is familiar with the protocol for the QUALCOMM QC3.0 ports would jump in. QUALCOMM describes QC3.0 this way: "Quick Charge 3.0 employs Intelligent Negotiation for Optimum Voltage (INOV), an algorithm which allows your portable device to determine what power level to request at any point in time, enabling optimum power transfer while maximizing efficiency." They also say that QC3.0 has safety features that monitor and limit heat and charging issues that could cause battery failure.
As to the readout, you could be right, although I do get the correct V/A numbers (around 1-2A @ 5V) when charging my phone or tablet on the same charger. It even knows that my moto phone can turbo charge at 2.6A @ 5.5V, but my old Samsung Tablet only draws 1.5A @ 5V.

What seems to be happening is that either the mini2 battery is set up to accept the higher charging voltage that the QC3.0 port can supply (if the device "asks for it"), or DJI has somehow built a charge circuit that defies the QUALCOMM protocol.. OR, I have had two batteries with the same fault....
2022-2-18
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So what is actually the problem? If your charger is actually 19 Watts at 11.7V it will draw 1.62A  in ideal conditions such as temp and battery internal resistance which should be around 7.2Ohms according to my math? Sorry but which point am I missing as I don’t see your issue?
In basic terms USB C with PD can provide up to a theoretical 20V at 100W (not in our case) "USB Type-C with USB PD allows the ecosystem to support several power levels up to a maximum of 20 volts at 5 amps (100 W)" so in my view your charger has determined the best voltage is 11.7V at 1.62A sustaining 19watts.
2022-2-19
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 2-19 02:50
So what is actually the problem? If your charger is actually 19 Watts at 11.7V it will draw 1.62A  in ideal conditions such as temp and battery internal resistance which should be around 7.2Ohms according to my math? Sorry but which point am I missing as I don’t see your issue?
In basic terms USB C with PD can provide up to a theoretical 20V at 100W (not in our case) "USB Type-C with USB PD allows the ecosystem to support several power levels up to a maximum of 20 volts at 5 amps (100 W)" so in my view your charger has determined the best voltage is 11.7V at 1.62A sustaining 19watts.

My problem is I have just enough knowledge of charging batteries to question the "experts" at DJI, and be a danger to myself.  My problem started when I read the spec sheet that DJI has on charging their mini 2 battery. on it they state that max charging voltage is 8.8 volts, but my charger was showing 11.7v when I charged the battery to my SE.. In a chat with DJI, they determined that something was wrong with my drone/battery so they paid to  have it tested, battery replaced and shipping. Being they were willing to accept responsibility I figured that something must be wrong with a battery charging above 8.8V. I absolutely agree with you about the charging rate being OK, but can't figure out why DJI still stands by the 8.8V max charging voltage. Thank you for your help, you have cleared up some of this issue for me.
2022-2-19
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I am actually confused now, my existing Anker 24watt charger supplies 11.99 Volts and takes approx 1.5hrs to charge a battery, today I bought a new Anker 20 watt charger and it charges at 8.99 Volts but charges a battery approx 15mins faster?

I would need to look at the data sheet for the older charger but I wonder if it is missing the protocol for the 9V handshake?
**Edit I forgot my older charger is quick charger 3.0 the new one is power delivery** PD at 20watt does not use the 12v protocol, it's only when you go beyond 20watt it delivers 12 and 20 volts
Quick charge 3 is 2014 tech, it should be backward compatible and appears to work fine but I will continue to use the new PD charger as it's a bit faster anyway.
I made a mistake, I thought you were also using power delivery, quick charge 3 is very similar though. With in most cases quickcharge will go to 12v where capable.

F08FBD0D-C621-486B-9E93-50E1D16B74F2.jpeg

2022-2-19
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

Do you have a link to the 20Amp Anker charger?
2022-2-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The batteries will only draw what they need from the power available, they will not overdraw.

I use a 60w charger, i can fast charge the battery in the drone, the 3 battery hub and the controller all at the same time, they will draw what that can and not a volt more...
2022-2-25
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yes but your missing the point, if the charger is missing the correct protocol (9Volts) then it charges at 11.7v. To be honest I used this for a few weeks until I bought a power delivery charger @20watts. It charges the bettery slightly faster and at the correct rated voltage of 9volts as specified by DJI
2022-2-25
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-25 06:04
The batteries will only draw what they need from the power available, they will not overdraw.

I use a 60w charger, i can fast charge the battery in the drone, the 3 battery hub and the controller all at the same time, they will draw what that can and not a volt more...

Hi, this all started when I asked DJI (chat) if it was OK to change at 11.7V, their response was that something was wrong with my drone/battery for it to be charging at that level. As they paid for shipping and replaced my battery I assumed that there was a problem. As the new battery is charging at the same level, I think that their techs don't understand the variety of USB chargers, or wonder if DJI has a reason to list a max 8.8V charging rate for their batteries...
2022-2-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rahtware Posted at 2-25 12:41
Hi, this all started when I asked DJI (chat) if it was OK to change at 11.7V, their response was that something was wrong with my drone/battery for it to be charging at that level. As they paid for shipping and replaced my battery I assumed that there was a problem. As the new battery is charging at the same level, I think that their techs don't understand the variety of USB chargers, or wonder if DJI has a reason to list a max 8.8V charging rate for their batteries...

I have read somewhere that fast charging is available for these batteries but DJI do not supply  fast charger also you're missing the most important part, the amps, so 8.8v, max charging watts is 30w, so 8v x 4amps = 32w, so,
example.
If you have a 12v charger running at 2.5amps that's 30w and that's the max the battery will take, that's nearly double the standard charger.

Now let go back to the 8.8v max, times that by a 3amp charger using the above example's 12v charger, the battery will only draw 8.8v even if that charger was 24v, the max the battery will draw is 8.8v and no damage will occur.

I am not great at explaining things but i hope this gives you an idea
2022-2-27
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

Bashy,  the numbers are 11.7V 1.7A (max) so around 20A which is 1/3 less then the 29A max that DJI lists for this batterys. My problem is not the math, but rather that DJI still lists a max charging voltage of 8.8V.  I also have read from non DJI sources that the batteries can be charged at a higher voltage. Why does DJI still post the lower voltage? My worry is that this is a way they can disallow a claim for repair or damage, even if it isn't related to charging... Just my thoughts.
2022-2-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rahtware Posted at 2-27 18:42
Bashy,  the numbers are 11.7V 1.7A (max) so around 20A which is 1/3 less then the 29A max that DJI lists for this batterys. My problem is not the math, but rather that DJI still lists a max charging voltage of 8.8V.  I also have read from non DJI sources that the batteries can be charged at a higher voltage. Why does DJI still post the lower voltage? My worry is that this is a way they can disallow a claim for repair or damage, even if it isn't related to charging... Just my thoughts.

They do not list 29A as far as i know, its actually 29W, i was rounding up to 30 as its near as damn it, and 8.8v is max charging

Not sure where you're seeing 11.7V? I've checked the site, the battery, the charger and the hub whilst writing this reply, the hub itself can take a max input of 12v x 3a = 36w, thats over the 8.8v, doesn't mean it will be doing that though, that's another wee safety net. the max that the batteries can charge at is, to be exact, 8.8v x 3.3a = 29w, they will NOT charge any higher than that, that's their cut off, they can charger lower, certainly lower than you'd think, but then they would be much slower.

To be fair, i do not know much about electricity but what i do know is that DJI is usually pretty good when it comes to safety with batteries. The batteries will ONLY ever draw what they need.
2022-2-27
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

I guess I should have proof read before posting. It should have been 29W, not 29A. To simplify my previously posted information. I have a smart charger that shows the volts and amps when charging a battery. The 11.7V and 1.7A (Amps are usually lower and drops as the battery charges) are what the charger shows when I hook up my mini SE to the charger to charge the battery. The max charging rates of 8.8V and 29W are listed on the spec sheet for the mini2/SE battery on the official DJI web page.
2022-2-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rahtware Posted at 2-28 04:10
I guess I should have proof read before posting. It should have been 29W, not 29A. To simplify my previously posted information. I have a smart charger that shows the volts and amps when charging a battery. The 11.7V and 1.7A (Amps are usually lower and drops as the battery charges) are what the charger shows when I hook up my mini SE to the charger to charge the battery. The max charging rates of 8.8V and 29W are listed on the spec sheet for the mini2/SE battery on the official DJI web page.

1, it's probably showing the chargers input, what its drawing from your wall and not the output to battery,
2, again, as mentioned previously, do not worry about it, the battery will only take what it can handle of which leads me back to #1 its showing the input.
2022-2-28
Use props
rahtware
lvl.2
United States

Sorry, but the readings are output, not input. I agree with you about the battery, on a proper charger, will only draw what it needs. So, why doesn't DJI mention that instead of the hard and fast 8.8V max rule? Anyway, thanks for your help.
2022-3-1
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Not all chargers are equal, if you look at the protocols a decent charger should encompass all the ranges, but they don’t need to, an example is a Nintendo switch USB C charger, it completely misses the 9V protocol and will vary from 12 to 20volts. For the price of a top branded charger such as an ANkER one it’s not worth the risk of overheating those batteries.
2022-3-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 3-1 12:39
Not all chargers are equal, if you look at the protocols a decent charger should encompass all the ranges, but they don’t need to, an example is a Nintendo switch USB C charger, it completely misses the 9V protocol and will vary from 12 to 20volts. For the price of a top branded charger such as an ANkER one it’s not worth the risk of overheating those batteries.

How will they overheat?

They do get warmer when fast charging, that's a given, whether its an Anker, Mickey Mouse or if DJI did a  30w charger (they don't) The battery does any throttling that needed, now, I would be more worried about a Mickey Mouse charger though than the battery.
2022-3-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rahtware Posted at 3-1 12:19
Sorry, but the readings are output, not input. I agree with you about the battery, on a proper charger, will only draw what it needs. So, why doesn't DJI mention that instead of the hard and fast 8.8V max rule? Anyway, thanks for your help.

Well, either way, i wouldn't worry, the battery will take what it needs, it wouldn't take 11+ if it couldn't, the DJI charger states 12v so must be a reason for that...
2022-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules