Issue importing LAS files created by DJI Terra
4307 1 2022-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mbuonanno
lvl.4

Italy

Hi,

I have collected LiDAR data using a DJI Zenmuse L1 camera linked to a DJI D-RTK 2 Base Station (centered on a point of known WGS84 coodinates). Raw data were post-processed in DJI Terra v.3.3.0. Output data were exported as .LAS files.

Now I am getting trouble importing them in third-party software. Some of them (e.g. QT Reader and Fugro Viewer) are able to import the file but some of their tools do not work properly. Other softwares cannot even open the .LAS file correctly (e.g. GVI LiDAR360 and Cloud Compare)

Does anybody have got similar problems ? Can you suggest me a solution or some further test?

Thanks a lot,

Maurizio Buonanno
2022-2-22
Use props
mbuonanno
lvl.4

Italy

Hi,

an update about the above issue.

Eng. Tiziano Cosso (LiDAR-Italia) did find the problem and suggested me the solution.

The problem was the coordinate system chosen for the output .LAS file. I was using geographical coordinates (WGS 84 - EPSG 4326) instead of projected coordinates (e.g. EPSG 32633).

Most LiDAR post-processing or viewer software are able to manage cartesian coordinates only. Some others allows to input point clouds with geographic coordinates but they convert them on-the-fly in a user specified projected coordinates system (e.g. Terrasolid).

Maurizio

2022-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules