Code: 10087 - "Internal storage severely fragmented"
5886 9 2022-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

Our DJI RC Pro controller suddenly displayed "Code: 10087" warning indications, stating "internal storage severely fragmented, back up files and reformat internal storage." This warning appeared in the upper-left corner of the display, with a small orange dot (like the normal warning msgs that appear, pre-flight.)

It happened shortly after the RC Pro updated its Fly app. I don't remember seeing it before, but I can't say for sure.

I was unsure whether the warning pertained to the Mavic 3 CINE internal SSD, or the DJI RC Pro remote internal (20gb) storage. In order to rule out whether the warning pertained to the drone's internal 1TB SSD, I connected the drone to a PC and used Windows Explorer to reformat to exFat. Powered down the drone and the RC Pro. Powered them both up, again. The Code: 10087 warning persists. This led me to conclude, the Code: 10087 warning pertains to the RC Pro internal storage not the Mavic 3 CINE internal SSD storage.

Confident the issue pertained to the internal storage of the RC Pro controller, I connected the RC Pro to the PC with the USB-C transfer cable; however, the volume (internal storage, RC Pro) does not allow for "optimizing" (Windows defragmentation.)

FWIW, I've used the drone/controller dozens of times since purchasing the CINE package when it launched in November. I've never seen this error. Firmware's always current. I don't use the RC Pro for any storage/transfer of footage filmed during flights. I've never actually put a SD Card in the controller. I only use the RC Pro for flight control.

• Has anyone experienced this Code: 10087 warning?
  • Did it happen after updating the RC Pro app?
  • How does one reformat RC Pro internal storage?
  • After reformatting, how does one reinstall apps, folders, etc.?
  • Is there a 'clean' way to copy/clone or backup RC Pro storeage?
  • Should I do a "factory reset" on the RC Pro?
  • Will a factory reset reformat the controller's internal storage?

I tried numerous Google searches, and subsequent searches here, in the DJI Forums. Haven't seen anything...

Thanks for any guidance or insight re. the Code: 10087 warning that appeared today on the RC Pro controller.

Flying/filming two projects tomorrow... hoping to sort this out!

2022-2-24
Use props
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

Update: I ended up initiating a chat in Support, re. the Code 10087 warning message (severely fragmented internal storage.)

The tech person suggested I reformat the internal storage (CINE SSD) via RC Pro app (see screenshot, attached.)

Prior to talking with tech support, I had successfully reformatted the SSD via Windows PC; however, the warning message persisted.

The solution suggested by Tech Support (use the Fly app, via RC Pro, to reformat internal storage) worked – warning message no longer appears.

I wanted to update this post in case anyone else has this warning message appear on their RC Pro, with a Mavic 3 CINE internal storage issue.

2022-2-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

ArtPeers Posted at 2-25 08:20
Update: I ended up initiating a chat in Support, re. the Code 10087 warning message (severely fragmented internal storage.)

The tech person suggested I reformat the internal storage (CINE SSD) via RC Pro app (see screenshot, attached.)

Glad you got the issue resolved in time for your commitment and thanks for sharing the solution.  
2022-2-25
Use props
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

Yeah I got to the parking ramp (top level) in time to run a 30-seconds hyperlapse flight, 414' over US-131 Southbound. First day in a long time that the UAV app had the green light for flying... and it was a good one. Big thumbs up to DJI support for the quick response.
2022-2-25
Use props
Dallas Kappel
New
Flight distance : 7093 ft
Canada

ArtPeers Posted at 2-25 08:20

I did the same thing. I formatted the ssd yet whenever I reach about 100gb the error shows face again.
2022-3-7
Use props
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

Dallas Kappel Posted at 3-7 12:32
I did the same thing. I formatted the ssd yet whenever I reach about 100gb the error shows face again.

Just seeing your reply, Dallas – I came back to update that the error msg reappeared, for me. I did have a few days where it seemed to be resolved. Still no functional issues. But, when the warning msg reappeared, I did ask Support if they could send a replacement, so I could return this one.

Support said they can't send a replacement until they receive the defective one. (I think it'd be cool if they could make an exception for people who purchased the Refresh plan, who agree to a temporary 'hold' on $250 until the defective one arrives to DJI... but that's another topic, for a different thread.)

Question: did you ever have the warning msg. appear *prior to* installing the most recent firmware update? I think it was a late Feb. 2022 update. I owned this particular drone for one month before the late Feb. 2022 update, and I don't recall seeing the "Severely Defragmented" warning msg. prior to the most recent update. But, it's not really strong data, bc I haven't had the drone for super long, overall.

I do believe I will send this drone back, and get a replacement. I'm wrapping up a project so I couldn't do that sooner. I reformatted *again* last week and haven't had the warning msg. again, yet. Once it comes back, I'll arrange to send this one back. I'm really careful (using the UAV app) not to fly in adverse conditions outside of what the DJI manual specs.

So, unless it's a software glitch (false positive) it seems like there are potential issues with some SSDs. Will circle back once I have some kind of update.
2022-3-9
Use props
magnetico
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8641188 ft
  • >>>
Guatemala

ArtPeers Posted at 3-9 14:12
Just seeing your reply, Dallas – I came back to update that the error msg reappeared, for me. I did have a few days where it seemed to be resolved. Still no functional issues. But, when the warning msg reappeared, I did ask Support if they could send a replacement, so I could return this one.

Support said they can't send a replacement until they receive the defective one. (I think it'd be cool if they could make an exception for people who purchased the Refresh plan, who agree to a temporary 'hold' on $250 until the defective one arrives to DJI... but that's another topic, for a different thread.)

hello there Art,
same error here and yes, it did start with the last feb update.  came here searching for a solution, because formatting through the app did work, but a few recorded clips later, the same message came again.
also flying a first batch Mavic3cine (bought in nov), and also having disconnection issues that i havent found any solution with tech support as well.  i believe the best option is to return the aircraft.
2022-4-4
Use props
RUBE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57959 ft
Switzerland

I just  bought the Mavic cine 3 last week, July 2022, and on it's first day out  I encountered error Code: 10087 - "Internal storage severely fragmented" . It also was displayed on the top left part of the screen on the RC Pro. It occurred when I had about 25 minutes left shooting Pro Res 422 HQ - so when the SSD was at about 80% capacity. Reading this thread. it sounds like I am not the only one who has experienced this particular problem.  I am using no third party elements and am running with the latest updates.
Can anyone confirm if this error is due to a firmware/software issue or a hardware SSD problem? Did anyone have success returning the Mavic 3 cine to solve the issue? Thanks.

2022-7-15
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

Does this thing run DOS?  (that's a joke)
2022-7-15
Use props
RUBE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57959 ft
Switzerland

Here is the answer I got from the chat support: (in short, it seems to be dangerous for the Mavic 3 Cine's SSD to go over 90% and you will keep getting this error message as you approach 80%)

This warning appears when the photos and videos in the SSD reach 1 TB each time.

Role of formatting:

When recording Prores videos, DJI Mavic 3 Cine has high requirements on writing speed. Formatting can ensure optimal writing speed for the SSD.

How to remove this warning:

When this warning appears, save the photos and videos in the SSD. Go to DJI Fly to format the SSD. Then, this warning will disappear.

Mugu
1. When this warning appears, it is required to format the SSD in DJI Fly to resolve the serious fragmentation issue. Formatting using a computer is insufficient.

2. This warning will appear each time when accumulative photos and videos in the SSD reach 1 TB.

Example for accumulative photos and videos of 1 TB: After formatting DJI Fly, photos and videos of 300 GB are recorded for the first time and photos and videos of 150 GB are deleted. Then, photos and videos of 700 GB are recorded for the second time. At this point, accumulative photos and videos of approximately 1 TB (300 GB + 700 GB) are recorded, and the warning is about to appear.

3. If the user connects DJI Mavic 3 Cine to a computer and transfers files or photos and videos to the DJI Mavic 3 Cine built-in 1TB SSD, it will cause a serious fragmentation. We do not recommend doing so. When the warning stating “Serious fragmentation” appears, please go to DJI Fly for formatting.

me:
Thank you for the information. This was the first time using the drone. I am only shooting video, and I have no accumulated deleted videos or any other data stored else on my SSD. So why is the error message occurring when I have only used (at most) 800 GB?

Mugu
Since, as you said it is nearing full capacity, the message is triggered

Mugu
If the SSD is in full capacity, it might jeopardize the functions

me:
So it is an early warning only?

Mugu
Yes, thats right

me:
So the disk is not severly fragmented?

Mugu
No

me:
And I will have no risk of losing data if I stop shooting before I run out of time?

Mugu
At the moment since the error is shown, even if it is not at 100% capacity, please follow the said steps to avoid any complications as the error is a warning

me:
Do I stop shooting when I receive the error message?

Mugu
Yes

me:
So then the 'time left' counter is incorrect?

Mugu
The error message indicates the hard dick and data may be at risk, it is safer to stop, transfer the data and then continue

Mugu
It is not incorrect, it is just safer to avoid complications

me:
Ok, one more question.

Mugu
Sure

me:
Is it known that data can be lost before the 'time left' counter reaches about 1 minute (99% capacity)? Is it known that data is lost at 80% capacity? 90% capacity? Can you provide a general average so I can mitigate the risks?

Mugu
Allow me a moment to check regarding this

me:
Thank you very much.

Mugu
Sure, please hold on.

Mugu
As I have checked, I suggest you to please not exceed 90% capacity

2022-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now