879 18 2022-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

A tiny DJI drone smuggled its own weight in drugs over the US border wall
If you’ve ever wondered whether drug dealers might just fly packets of powder over the border wall with inexpensive consumer drones, wonder no more — the US Border Patrol caught a DJI Mini 2 dead to rights dropping off its own weight in meth last October.
That’s according to a recently released search warrant from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), which is trying to search the drone for evidence that might help them track down the pilot.
On October 7th, according to the affidavit, Tecate’s Campo Border Patrol Station radioed that a drone was spotted flying over the 25-foot-high fence. An agent spotted the drone buzzing over a parking lot just the other side of the wall; watched it land; watched a grey Mercedes roll up with a man ready to collect the goods; then intercepted the drone before the driver could pick it up.
The bundle contained a package filled with 0.57 pounds (259g) of methamphetamine, more than you might think a 249g DJI Mini 2 can carry on its own. But for a short hop over a 25-foot border wall to a parking lot just the other side, it’s actually quite feasible — show the DJI Mini 2 can lift double its own weight for a short time.
[size=0.75em]The drone landed in one of the parking lots visible here, just north of the Tecate border. Image: Google Maps
It’s not clear from the search warrant whether Chinese drone manufacturer DJI will be asked to share information about the user who flew the drone — for now, it sounds like the agent is simply asking to do some data forensics on the drone and its microSD card.
He says flights like this are common: “In this area, it is common for human / narcotics smuggling organizations to use drones to fly over the boundary fence and assist and / or facilitate their criminal operations in the United States.” There are one-off reports going back years about failed drone drug deliveries near the border, but usually, the drone pictures are older, larger models. A would-be drug-running DJI Mini drone was seized last September in Costa Mesa, California, though, when a man was “suspected of using a drone in an attempt to smuggle drugs” into an Orange County jail.

2022-2-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Figured it would be only a matter of time.  
2022-2-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I guess they thought a smaller drone will get away with it but amazing that the mini can carry its own weight.
2022-2-25
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Suren Posted at 2-25 11:33
I guess they thought a smaller drone will get away with it but amazing that the mini can carry its own weight.

cine 245g
normal 285g
sport 410g
2022-2-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SInce the dawn of mankind, any innovation conceived by man has been turned to nefarious use by others. Drones are no exception, alas.
2022-2-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing what people do.
2022-2-26
Use props
Macked
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115318 ft
United States

Now they've done it they broke the 0.55 pound rule now the FAA will be after them.
2022-2-26
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2-25 23:48
SInce the dawn of mankind, any innovation conceived by man has been turned to nefarious use by others. Drones are no exception, alas.

∆∆∆ What he said!

Except I'm struggling to think of ANYTHING, not just tech innovations, that can't be used for badness
2022-2-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 2-26 03:08
∆∆∆ What he said!

Except I'm struggling to think of ANYTHING, not just tech innovations, that can't be used for badness

A smile?
2022-2-26
Use props
SuperWinnieperruna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

according as Mini2 supports "10kg" winds means that the power is enough to lift as minimum 100-150gms I guess ... so you can transport 150g of ........
2022-2-26
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2-26 03:21
A smile?

I can think of many smiles that were used to deceive...

Tony Blair springs to m8nd, but maybe that to political for here... Let's just say "never trust a crocodile smile".
2022-2-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 2-26 09:07
I can think of many smiles that were used to deceive...

Tony Blair springs to m8nd, but maybe that to political for here... Let's just say "never trust a crocodile smile".

You can tell when any politician is lying. His lips will be moving.
2022-2-26
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2-26 10:52

Never a more true observation.
2022-2-26
Use props
Mission XR
lvl.3
United States

Rather a button on the RC "Find my Drone" they need a button on the aircraft; "Find my Drug Dealer"
Can they not pull flight data out of the drone? Not to say the aircraft didn't lift off in the middle of a field somewhere but just maybe the DD isn't that smart.....
2022-2-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI
Drugs Jail Incorperated?
2022-2-28
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2-26 10:52

I used to think that but now I know they can lie through their back teeth.
2022-2-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 2-28 07:45
I used to think that but now I know they can lie through their back teeth.

And through other orifices as well
2022-2-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not very smart though. I assume it was flying in the daytime since the agents saw it. Seems better to fly at night with the lights off or blacked out. Also go to max altitude, or fly just over the treetops, or even under them. Maybe I should write a guidebook ;-)
2022-2-28
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I'm sure there are many guidebooks out there already Gary. lol.
2022-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules