Does the Mavic 3 Cine recognize a 1 TB microSD Card?
4975 26 2022-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigButtons
lvl.2
Flight distance : 308009 ft
United States

Hi, I have a couple of new SanDisk Extreme 1 TB microSD cards. I'm wondering if these will be usable (recognized) by the Mavic 3 (Cine)? Although the manual shows some reccomended cards it does not list a maximum size.

Any help is appreciated.
2022-2-25
Use props
EFRPIC
Second Officer

United States

Have not tested but I think the limit is 128GB
2022-2-25
Use props
BigButtons
lvl.2
United States

EFRPIC Posted at 2-25 11:23

EFRPIC, Thanks for the reply. The manual shows cards as large as 512GB that have been tested but does not list a max size limitation. I'm just curious if anyone has tried anything larger. Thanks for responding
2022-2-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

EFRPIC Posted at 2-25 11:23

I use a 256GB card in the standard M3.
2022-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why would you want to use such a big card?
You cannot record ProRes to an SD card (none are fast enough), so there's no point having a card that's large enough to record so many of regular video on.
2022-2-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-25 16:47
You cannot record ProRes to an SD card (none are fast enough), so there's no point having a card that's large enough to record so many of regular video on.

i was told something similar the other day.  re: you  can't use that all space....

my answer is people tend to buy a microsd card that is either the biggest they can afford or the most bang for the buck.  even if you never plan to ever use it all, why pay $20 for a 128gb card when you can pay $30 for a 256gb card.  as the price of these cards come down and compress at the low end, it only make sense when a 1TB card comes down to about $99, they will sell extremely well.  maybe once they hit $75, it simply won't make sense for some people to buy anything else smaller and costly.

even when i see $15 for a 128gb and $9 for a 64gb, i would never pay that for those cards which are pretty much free on deal around here.  plus i have too many of those already.  my next card is the 1TB card and if i want to use it in my gopro or some other device, i'm hoping it will work and manufacturers haven't forget to test with or "allow" the to work if that is what is needed.  i've heard and seen some device fail to read or unable to format the larger cards because the oem didnt bother because they believe either nobody has or will use these cards.  i remember the same conversation years ago about the 32gb card.  alas, we are still struggling with this.

personally i have a huge phobia about erasing or reformatting microsd cards when on vacation.  i will back them up and i will try to swap cards but nothing ever gets erased during that one week on the road.  it would be nice for the dash card to have an entire weeks worth of video on one card without worrying about overwrite.

i would be shocked if the m3 cannot handle a 1TB card; that card will be "standard" in 2-3 years.
2022-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The Saint Posted at 2-25 18:40
i was told something similar the other day.  re: you  can't use that all space....

my answer is people tend to buy a microsd card that is either the biggest they can afford or the most bang for the buck.  even if you never plan to ever use it all, why pay $20 for a 128gb card when you can pay $30 for a 256gb card.  as the price of these cards come down and compress at the low end, it only make sense when a 1TB card comes down to about $99, they will sell extremely well.  maybe once they hit $75, it simply won't make sense for some people to buy anything else smaller and costly.

There's no good reason to use a card that can hold months of your work.
A good principle to work with is to only use cards that hold as much work as you are prepared to lose.
But they don't make 16 GB cards any more so I had to buy a couple of 64s recently.
2022-2-25
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2-25 23:25
A good principle to work with is to only use cards that hold as much work as you are prepared to lose.
But they don't make 16 GB cards any more so I had to buy a couple of 64s recently.

Also, if you're doing this for work and carrying round old footage, there's a good chance you'd be in breach of some data laws if you lost up to a TB of old footage.

As you've said, good to go with what you want to lose, but it's also good practice to save as often as possible. Traditionally I'd swap out an SD card after every landing and offload/back it up. Sadly the new M3 Cine just doesn't make it that easy any more.
2022-2-26
Use props
BigButtons
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_I80qauTWRcUe Posted at 2-27 08:21
You can use a 1TB card if you want.  No issues.

Thank you very much.
2022-2-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2-25 23:25
A good principle to work with is to only use cards that hold as much work as you are prepared to lose.

I use the largest cards that work. I copy off the cards to my Mac after each flying session. I do not erase the cards. When Full I replace the card with a new one. This gives me 2 discrete copies of my data.

I have 12TB Solid state storage on my iMac Pro. And 20TB of physical disk for TimeMachine backups. Critical data is also stored in my Cloud services.

All you need is one of the Ransomware virus attacks and you end up losing everything if you are not prepared.

It's not about losing your drone and the footage on a flyaway. Its about not losing all your video and data from a ransomware attack.
2022-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 2-28 00:34
I use the largest cards that work. I copy off the cards to my Mac after each flying session. I do not erase the cards. When Full I replace the card with a new one. This gives me 2 discrete copies of my data.

I have 12TB Solid state storage on my iMac Pro. And 20TB of physical disk for TimeMachine backups. Critical data is also stored in my Cloud services.

Everyone that values their work backs it up.
But how does that have anything to do with the size of the card you fly with?
2022-2-28
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2-28 01:48
Everyone that values their work backs it up.
But how does that have anything to do with the size of the card you fly with?

Because I do not erase the card. When its full I use a new card and store the old one..
2022-3-10
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-10 15:37
Because I do not erase the card. When its full I use a new card and store the old one..

So if you lose your drone or it gets stolen, that's all your work in someone else's hands. If you do this as a job you'd be in breach of data protection laws, as it's your duty to protect data when it contains personal information. (videos of houses would probably constitute this)

Also, a bit expensive to store a full card when you're done. Just back it up properly, erase it and use it again..

2022-3-11
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 3-11 05:16
So if you lose your drone or it gets stolen, that's all your work in someone else's hands. If you do this as a job you'd be in breach of data protection laws, as it's your duty to protect data when it contains personal information. (videos of houses would probably constitute this)

Also, a bit expensive to store a full card when you're done. Just back it up properly, erase it and use it again..

Interesting conjecture. Bit your description is flawed.

You need to read up on Privacy Laws

As an Example, for me to fly with my commercial license I must obtain permission from the owner to Overfly the property to enable the shoot. The shoots are for the public domain e.g. Property sales etc. So no problem there. the only complication in doing these retail shoots is that then RealEstate agent cannot provide permission. Permission must come from the actual property Owner/s. These records must be maintained in your flight logs for Audit by CASA.

If the property is not overflown the content of the video is public domain. The same as any photographer for a ground or elevated shoot.

If a customer required a shoot subject that it was for personal use only  I would use a seperate card and hand the card over to the buyer. I would also charge for the SD Card.

2022-3-11
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-11 23:24
Interesting conjecture. Bit your description is flawed.

You need to read up on Privacy Laws

I just had a quick read of the Australian Privacy Principle (Chapter 11) to see what it says about data. It's really not too dissimilar to the UK Data Protection laws.

I'm sure you film more than just houses. People are not going to be public domain and I can assure you that when you're out filming you'll capture someone who you've not sought permission from, so what steps are you taking to protect their privacy if you've got an SD card flying about with their face on it weeks after you've captured it?
2022-3-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 3-12 01:49
I just had a quick read of the Australian Privacy Principle (Chapter 11) to see what it says about data. It's really not too dissimilar to the UK Data Protection laws.

I'm sure you film more than just houses. People are not going to be public domain and I can assure you that when you're out filming you'll capture someone who you've not sought permission from, so what steps are you taking to protect their privacy if you've got an SD card flying about with their face on it weeks after you've captured it?

I just had a quick read of the Australian Privacy Principle (Chapter 11) to see what it says about data.
You should start at the beginning to see who the APP allies to (and doesn't apply to).
Then see who has rights under the Privacy Act

It's unlikely that it applies at all to bjr and photos he might take.
2022-3-12
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 3-11 05:16

Just to be clear and to critique your logic.

The logic you state wold be the same regardless of the amount of data on the SD card.

So in a single flight, how do you protect the data you have just shot in case you have a flyaway?

The answer is you cant. So your only option is to not capture any video.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a camera drone.

I would suggest that you read the laws in your country on pubic photography.

2022-3-14
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-14 02:47
Just to be clear and to critique your logic.

The logic you state wold be the same regardless of the amount of data on the SD card.

You said that you use an SD card until it's full and then you put it into permanent storage, so if you're flying with a fairly large card, you could well be carrying weeks worth of filming around with you. My logic is fairly straightforward - used a wiped card on each job, your logic is a data protection nightmare.

If I were to lose a drone on a job, I am able to reasonably deal with losing the data which is already on the drone because that's the job I'm working on and can report a data loss with fairly good recall. If I went about flying with gigabytes worth of old work on the drone then I'm not going to be sure what data I have on a card, how many different jobs were on there and the scope of what might be lost, and then that's a whole different issue to have to deal with if it requires reporting to the ICO (our data protection body).

I do know the laws in my country thanks, hence why I don't fly a drone with a memory card full of old work, because it's a data protection risk which I can get in quite a bit of trouble for.

2022-3-14
Use props
BigButtons
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_i1omHySAKqfc Posted at 3-12 05:25
FYI- the M3 supports 1TB cards no problem.

Thank you very much
2022-3-15
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 3-14 15:06
You said that you use an SD card until it's full and then you put it into permanent storage, so if you're flying with a fairly large card, you could well be carrying weeks worth of filming around with you. My logic is fairly straightforward - used a wiped card on each job, your logic is a data protection nightmare.

If I were to lose a drone on a job, I am able to reasonably deal with losing the data which is already on the drone because that's the job I'm working on and can report a data loss with fairly good recall. If I went about flying with gigabytes worth of old work on the drone then I'm not going to be sure what data I have on a card, how many different jobs were on there and the scope of what might be lost, and then that's a whole different issue to have to deal with if it requires reporting to the ICO (our data protection body).

Sorry you misunderstand yet again. As I said in my first post on this subject I copy the SD card to my Solid state drives. (Card By Card) So I have a complete record of what was on the card and for what job. The drone and card use a numbering system automatically (If you don't delete and erase the Data) It keeps a complete sequential job numbering system. This also allows me to retrieve and sell raw video at a customers request regardless of how long ago the job.

I know of no regulations on the planet that makes you responsible for public Photography privacy.

Can you direct me to the relevant law in the UK please?
2022-3-16
Use props
BeemerBoy1000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 918839 ft
United Kingdom

Yes or No would be a  quite handy answer. Does the Mini 3 pro  allow you to use a 1Tb micro sd card. Not worried about all the above, I am looking for an answer from a hardware perspective and write speed perspective so no lost frames are noticeable due the lower write speeds on larger sd cards.

Many Thanks

Ian.
2022-6-14
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-25 16:47
You cannot record ProRes to an SD card (none are fast enough), so there's no point having a card that's large enough to record so many of regular video on.

Why are you in the habit of questioning why people do certain things?
2022-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Flormo2002 Posted at 6-14 13:33

You mean like you just did?

If you read my subsequent posts in this thread, it would be obvious (to even you) that the question was rhetorical and leading to the points I made and very good advice I gave in subsequent posts.
2022-6-14
Use props
djiuser_QPgi2dFBA2Yd
New

United States

A bunch of idiots trash talks for a Yes/No question. You only answer 'yes' or 'no'. There is no "I don't know" or else, because that's not an answer and u need to shut up in that case.
2022-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_QPgi2dFBA2Yd Posted at 10-15 20:59
A bunch of idiots trash talks for a Yes/No question. You only answer 'yes' or 'no'. There is no "I don't know" or else, because that's not an answer and u need to shut up in that case.

Since there's no point to your post, maybe you should take your own advice and just shut up?

2022-10-15
Use props
djiuser_32G4lEHwzFvh
New

United States

1 TB card does work in my DjI Mini 3 but get slow writing error. But still works
2023-2-20
Use props
djiuser_StLelMJTlrMb
New

United States

The Saint Posted at 2022-2-25 18:40

my answer is people tend to buy a microsd card that is either the biggest they can afford or the most bang for the buck.  even if you never plan to ever use it all, why pay $20 for a 128gb card when you can pay $30 for a 256gb card.  as the price of these cards come down and compress at the low end, it only make sense when a 1TB card comes down to about $99, they will sell extremely well.  maybe once they hit $75, it simply won't make sense for some people to buy anything else smaller and costly.

Totally agree with you.
2023-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules