Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RS2 wobble with sony A7SIII
3202 12 2022-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mart
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Does anybody have any advice and solutions to curing the wobble with the RS2. I'm shooting with the camera mounted in a Smallrig cage with a Smallrig quick release plate bolted to the bottom, the sony 16-35mm f4 lens and the raven eye on the bottom of the gimbal. Edited to add, latest firmware on both the gimbal and RavenEye (not that the RavenEye is being used)

I didn't get this wobble with my Nikon Z6 and the 14-30mm f4 lens

The Nikon setup is noticeably lighter, so taking the sony out of the cage and removing the raven eye is one option I'll look at.

I did try upping the stiffness of the gimbal by 10 on each setting after calibrating but I don't think that has improved it.

My wobble is similar but not as bad as seen in this vid (not my vid)

This is pretty frustrating as I've been through two Weebil S gimbals (with my Z6) which drifted off level, then the DJI RSC2 but that also had issues, so I went all in a bought the RS2, which I was completely happy with when using the Nikon, but with the Sony, it produces less than professional footage and I hope there is a solution.

2022-2-27
Use props
Mart
lvl.2
United Kingdom

This is from my most recent shoot. This level of wobble is not acceptable for me, I might as well have filmed from the back of a boat!

2022-2-27
Use props
Mart
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nobody at DJI want to jump in here and explain what is wrong with this £800 paper weight? Do you think this is acceptable footage for a professional job?
2022-3-2
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

add more weight
2022-3-3
Use props
localradio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32418 ft
Ukraine

I have the same experience with my RS2.

First week I thought it was due to a heavy setup (4400g). So I did mess around and have a cut to a 3500g setup. Still no way.
Second I thought it was due to an almost maxed out tilt bar, so I've bought a 60g counterweight to push the tilt bar position up. Still a no go.
Third I've bought a Tilta Basic Ring - thought the nato handles where causing some wobble. While I dig the ring design (it's really comfortable to carry) - the image still introduced this kind of behavior.
Fourth I've changed the lens to a wider one (laowa 12mm) and have replaced all the power cables to a softer ones. Hang them from the top. Still a no go.
Fifth I went messing with the app, firmware etc. Went from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0 to 1.5.0. Tried different stiffness, strength etc. Still no.

It's rather funny, because I really like everything in this gimbal, except the gimbal main goal - stabilization. No matter how I've tried - even changed baseplates to a flat one - this gimbal introduced the wobble you can see in the videos above. I've tried ligher setups, different cams and lenses - it was always there. It's not that noticeable on tighter lenses with a human close to a camera and say - pivoting around, but it's really a problem on wides, especially without a human in foreground.

I've ended up stabilizing all the shots coming from this gimbal and shooting in extreme slow motion (75fps and above) to help to reduce the gimbal problems in post, but it takes so much time that I really am wondering why have I spent 2700$ on this gimbal. I'm really dissapointed by this issue, and have seen it here and there in the footage from other people. You can clearly see those even in the DJI own RS2 launch video in the desert shots where the cam op was running with the gimbal.

I can't stress how much I'm dissapointed by the RS2.
2022-5-18
Use props
Neramagic
lvl.1

United States

localradio Posted at 5-18 10:52
I have the same experience with my RS2.

First week I thought it was due to a heavy setup (4400g). So I did mess around and have a cut to a 3500g setup. Still no way.

Is it necessary to say, me too, I have same experience with my RS2  and BMCCP PRO 6K . The most disappointing is that DJI's technicians do not respond or suggest the solutions that work to solve this problems.

It seems this could be manufacturing / firmware problem, and so maybe, a concept and design mistake which costs  us a lot of the time, the money and as consequences  loosing the jobs and and clients.   
2022-5-20
Use props
gent
New

Kosovo

So no one replies, having same issue with A7RIII combined w/ 35mm 1.4 Sigma lens. DJI HELP!
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_o9jI5m9SPra0
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I have exactly the same problem, like another person already mentioned, it's especially noticeable in wide shots.

Panasonic S1H here with various lenses.
2022-6-9
Use props
SilentD1
lvl.2
Denmark

I suppose you all tried all of the calibration options on the gimbal? Both the advanced system calibration in the app, the balance test, the horisontal calibration, and then the normal Auto tune. If none of that worked. Yeah you got a faulty unit for sure..

I mean I cant know for sure if there is some user error with getting all of the correct balancing of the camera. ( some people miss one axis) there are 4 total, but  I cant see how a proplerly working, balanced and calibrated gimbal should do that.
2022-6-18
Use props
meysam.ahangiangmail.com
lvl.1

Germany

I have exactly the same problem
Sony a7m4 + ronin rs2
last frimware
please solve this problem from new update
i have ronin s and no problem and vibrate but ronin rs2 wobble footage.
i mistake buy ronin rs2. auto tuneT not solve problem. super smooth not solve problem,
please new update for rs2
2022-8-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's the roll axis that needs to be tweaked. I keep things on auto too with the RS1 and RS2. When I'm filming I don't really walk around. I prefer not to walk around. I should test to see if I can get it to "wobble" and see if I can find a fix while outside the house. I usually film, then come home and examine but this isn't really how to "tune". In the house, it's not too big and is not a real test. I will try at a park.
2022-8-3
Use props
meysam.ahangiangmail.com
lvl.1

Germany

AntDX316 Posted at 8-3 10:34
It's the roll axis that needs to be tweaked. I keep things on auto too with the RS1 and RS2. When I'm filming I don't really walk around. I prefer not to walk around. I should test to see if I can get it to "wobble" and see if I can find a fix while outside the house. I usually film, then come home and examine but this isn't really how to "tune". In the house, it's not too big and is not a real test. I will try at a park.

thanks. i test everything way, but still problem.
i am from iran and dji not warranty. please new frimware @DJI
2022-8-3
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

meysam.ahangiangmail.com Posted at 8-3 12:38
thanks. i test everything way, but still problem.
i am from iran and dji not warranty. plese new frimware @DJI

I ordered this. I think this will help with the roll axis problem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGXHY4X/

2022-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules