[BUG] EXIF data confuses gimbal and flight data
1900 7 2022-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Egalitaristen
lvl.1
Sweden

Hi,

I'm using the DJI Mini 2 for photogrammetry. Until now I've been very frustrated that DJI doesn't have any gimbal info in the EXIF of the photos. This leads to a lot of error and long processing times when making models using photos taken by the Mini 2.

Today I was using new photogrammetry software and checked the metadata and to my surprise there was data there that wasn't showing in my other software.

Here's a screenshot:

The FlightYawDegree is -62.00 while the GimbalYawdegree is 0 according to the data while I can assure you that this should be reversed.

The lack of correctly labeled gimbal data and wrongly labeled flight data really messes with photogrammetry software and I (and probably many others) would appreciate if you fixed this bug.
Skärmklipp.PNG
2022-2-28
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Disregard this post!
2022-2-28
Use props
Egalitaristen
lvl.1
Sweden

Johnny_J Posted at 2-28 08:50
Disregard this post!

I'm sorry, what? Why?
2022-2-28
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Stupid forum not letting me delete a post posted in error! Chineeses want to keep all info!
2022-2-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Are you absolutely sure they are actually swapped over?

I wouldn't expect the gimbal on the Mini 2 to turn anywhere near 62 degrees in either yaw direction as you would see the body of the aircraft in shot.

The manual doesn't actually specify yaw limits of the gimbal (just pitch), but I would have guessed at maybe 30 degrees in either direction at most.
2022-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm using the DJI Mini 2 for photogrammetry. Until now I've been very frustrated that DJI doesn't have any gimbal info in the EXIF of the photos. This leads to a lot of error and long processing times when making models using photos taken by the Mini 2.Today I was using new photogrammetry software and checked the metadata and to my surprise there was data there that wasn't showing in my other software.
The metadata has always been there but what you previously  used to view it only showed some of it.

The FlightYawDegree is -62.00 while the GimbalYawdegree is 0 according to the data while I can assure you that this should be reversed.

I can assure you that the data is correct..
Your drone's heading when the image was captured was -62° and the camera was pointed directly forward.
It's not possible for the camera to yaw 62°.

The lack of correctly labeled gimbal data and wrongly labeled flight data really messes with photogrammetry software and I (and probably many others) would appreciate if you fixed this bug.
There's no bug that needs to be "fixed", but what software are you using that been giving you these troubles with the image metadata?
Most wouldn't have any problem at all.

2022-2-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 2-28 10:13
Are you absolutely sure they are actually swapped over?

I wouldn't expect the gimbal on the Mini 2 to turn anywhere near 62 degrees in either yaw direction as you would see the body of the aircraft in shot.

Found it in the manual (page 46 - thanks to Bashy in another thread ):

Gimbal can only pan -20 to +20 degrees, so your 62 is definitely not the gimbal yaw angle.
2022-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Egalitaristen. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please refer to the post given above by NOT on post #7 on the DJI Mini 2 Gimbal Mechanical Range. Thank you.
2022-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules