Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Jello with FPV & RockSteady
5746 30 2022-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

I still have jello or vibrations in my FPV footage. I use this settings: 4K 60FPS - Shutter 1/120 - ND Filter
Steady or RockSteady mode (Now I don't use this mode because the 360 rolling stutter problems).

It's more visible when you put full throttle to ascend the drone. Seems to stop when you put full auto and the shutter speed goes up (or deactivate RockSteady) but I don't have motion blur because the high shutter speed. In my GoPro Hero 8 didn't have this problem in same conditions (4K60 - 1/120 - ND Filters - Stabilization ON).

DJI needs to improve this camera because the form factor and image quality are stunning, BUT:
- RockSteady have stuttering problems on 360 rolls.
- RockSteady and Steady have jello or vibrating problems with low shutter to achieve motion blur.
- We don't have the gyro data to (at least) deactivate in camera stabilization and doing in GyroFlow.

It's very frustrating. I don't want to use my gopro again but now I don't have another option for good FPV footage.
Please DJI make something with a good firmware, because now we have all kind of problems!!

2022-3-1
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Sadly low shutter speeds and electronic stablisation don't go together.  I'm surprised you don't get similar problems with another camera because EIS needs shutter speeds of around 1/300 or above for good processing.  The camera is comparing one frame with the next all the time, and if shutter speed is too low, the resulting motion blur makes it impossible for the camera to analyse the frames for movement.  Every time I see a review on YouTube for ND filters that doesn't mention this, I or someone else will comment "only use ND filters on static shots."  Now whether you could find the point at which the EIS will work and you get a little bit of motion blur using a low value ND filter I don't know - personally I don't have such a filter for the Action 2 because I don't use an action camera for static shots (usually).  I did get a set of ND filters for the Action 1, immediately hit the problem you describe, and they have been in the drawer ever since!
2022-3-1
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-1 01:23
Sadly low shutter speeds and electronic stablisation don't go together.  I'm surprised you don't get similar problems with another camera because EIS needs shutter speeds of around 1/300 or above for good processing.  The camera is comparing one frame with the next all the time, and if shutter speed is too low, the resulting motion blur makes it impossible for the camera to analyse the frames for movement.  Every time I see a review on YouTube for ND filters that doesn't mention this, I or someone else will comment "only use ND filters on static shots."  Now whether you could find the point at which the EIS will work and you get a little bit of motion blur using a low value ND filter I don't know - personally I don't have such a filter for the Action 2 because I don't use an action camera for static shots (usually).  I did get a set of ND filters for the Action 1, immediately hit the problem you describe, and they have been in the drawer ever since!

I understand your point. I was think that 1/120 will be enough, but i'm wrong. BUT GoPro don't have these problem on 1/120 with stabilization on. Maybe it's a better algorithm, I don't know. If Action 2 could add gyro data to stabilize footage in GyroFlow, I could record without RS and problem solved... but not
2022-3-1
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Cobani Posted at 3-1 08:00
I understand your point. I was think that 1/120 will be enough, but i'm wrong. BUT GoPro don't have these problem on 1/120 with stabilization on. Maybe it's a better algorithm, I don't know. If Action 2 could add gyro data to stabilize footage in GyroFlow, I could record without RS and problem solved... but not

Did you receive beta firmware from DJI-ytao?  He issued it to me through a message after I provided him my username for the Mimo app.  After 1-2 days I got a prompt for the update and applied it.  

I'm no longer seeing the problem.  The firmware also had other bug fixes (unmentioned) and some other minor adjustments to some settings like snapshot.
2022-3-1
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

WICreekPaddler Posted at 3-1 08:58
Did you receive beta firmware from DJI-ytao?  He issued it to me through a message after I provided him my username for the Mimo app.  After 1-2 days I got a prompt for the update and applied it.  

I'm no longer seeing the problem.  The firmware also had other bug fixes (unmentioned) and some other minor adjustments to some settings like snapshot.

Which problems do you saw before upgrade to the beta firmware?
2022-3-1
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Cobani Posted at 3-1 09:01

4k60fps rock steady rolls.  I'd reach out to him via a message and include your Mimo login name to him so he can add you to the beta firmware update.
2022-3-1
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Cobani Posted at 3-1 09:01

hi,Cobani
plz see the personal message.
plz PM your DJI account (mimo log in account)
I will add your to the beta firmware test list
2022-3-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Cobani. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please post a short sample video showing the issue for us to be able to see and can assist you. Thank you.
2022-3-1
Use props
fans54016cc6
lvl.3
Japan

Jello and EIS failure is different thing. Jello is caused by rolling shutter effect and the resonance of the motor, so it can be reduced by lowering the shutter speed. On the other hand, EIS failure can be reduced by increasing the shutter speed. I agree with you that we need gyro data. With gyro data, we don't need EIS and we can use slower shutter speed without worrying about anything!
2022-3-2
Use props
QuuFPV
lvl.1
Sweden

Unfortunately, the problem was not solved even with Firmware ver. 01.03.30.20 and Camera firmware ver. 10.00.36.09.
DJI Action2 with ND8 filter - 4k 50fps - Shutter 1/120 - RockSteady - records with jello.
With the same settings, but without the ND filter (in cloudy weather), it records perfectly.
Has anyone solved this problem?
P.S. The propellers are new, the drone is tuned.
Sample video with jello: https://youtu.be/-lN1JutEPyc
2022-4-16
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

QuuFPV Posted at 4-16 03:34
Unfortunately, the problem was not solved even with Firmware ver. 01.03.30.20 and Camera firmware ver. 10.00.36.09.
DJI Action2 with ND8 filter - 4k 50fps - Shutter 1/120 - RockSteady - records with jello.
With the same settings, but without the ND filter (in cloudy weather), it records perfectly.

I've noticed some Jello in my lowlight tests (handheld) and assumed it's an ISO artefact, have you tried limiting ISO?
Not that's a solution but finding the cause may be more straight to request a fix
2022-4-16
Use props
QuuFPV
lvl.1
Sweden

Isaac RC Posted at 4-16 14:19
I've noticed some Jello in my lowlight tests (handheld) and assumed it's an ISO artefact, have you tried limiting ISO?
Not that's a solution but finding the cause may be more straight to request a fix

ISO was 100. Raising up ISO is also not a good solution
2022-4-16
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

QuuFPV Posted at 4-16 22:19
ISO was 100. Raising up ISO is also not a good solution

So ISO discarded, what dewarp/wide/ultrawide FOV was?
Ultrawide is significantly less stabilized, Jello usually occurs when cameras struggles the most related to its processing settings.
2022-4-17
Use props
QuuFPV
lvl.1
Sweden

Isaac RC Posted at 4-17 11:09
So ISO discarded, what dewarp/wide/ultrawide FOV was?
Ultrawide is significantly less stabilized, Jello usually occurs when cameras struggles the most related to its processing settings.

Yesterday I tried shooting with the following settings: DJI Action 2 - ND8 - 4k 4:3 - 50fps - Shutter: 1/120 - FOV: Dewarp - ISO: 100 - Stabilization: Steady. The result is worse than with RockSteady
30 sec sample: https://youtu.be/3YUFilkHbRo
2022-4-18
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

Wow it shakes a lot. I'm unable to contrast the problem with my Action 2 right now, although I don't use it for drones.
So accordingly to your settings it's the low shutter speeds because without ND works fine.
Perhaps I could replicate the problem mounted on a high revolution machine to imitate drone frequency anyone knows how many revolutions should I input?
2022-4-19
Use props
Zytra
New

United States

Did you fix this problem? I have the same issue, it started happening to me right after a very light crash.
it was perfect before then.

if that light crash is enough to mess up the electronics, I'm not sure it qualifies as an action cam. Or at least it certainly will never compete with gopro's in that regard.
2022-4-22
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

It's really a DISASTER the Steady and RockSteady. I have every type of problems, but the most annoying it's the SEVERE glitchs in 360 FPV rolls. Problem still not solved, without ND filter this time, all in AUTO 4K60, and I have all types of glitches in rolls. I'm still waiting a new firmware to use it, but after two months waiting in the bookshelf to receive a solution, there's no answers. Only new products to make money. I will never trust again in DJI, I'm tired of being a beta tester with all products. I really hate this camera... a complete waste of money.
I don't have ANY TYPE OF CRASH!!
2022-5-15
Use props
Uncle Longbeard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 295 ft
United Kingdom

I also found RockSteady less effective against vibrations of the engine and the road bumps on motorcycle - than even my Hero 7...  When you walk it's better, but on fast movements it starts to disappoint.
2022-6-1
Use props
Peschi
lvl.1
Germany

Is there any Statement or solution plan from dji?
I have the same issue and when there is nothing planed I will send tha cam back and come back to gopro. They didnt have this issue.

I love the camera Form and weight but the footage is a mess.
2022-8-1
Use props
RegM
lvl.1

Canada

I mounted the Action 2 to my DJI FPV yesterday. Tried all kinds of settings. All I get is unusable jello footage. Is there a recommended anti vibration mount?
2022-8-2
Use props
fans54016cc6
lvl.3
Japan

Cobani Posted at 5-15 19:05
It's really a DISASTER the Steady and RockSteady. I have every type of problems, but the most annoying it's the SEVERE glitchs in 360 FPV rolls. Problem still not solved, without ND filter this time, all in AUTO 4K60, and I have all types of glitches in rolls. I'm still waiting a new firmware to use it, but after two months waiting in the bookshelf to receive a solution, there's no answers. Only new products to make money. I will never trust again in DJI, I'm tired of being a beta tester with all products. I really hate this camera... a complete waste of money.
I don't have ANY TYPE OF CRASH!!

I agree about glitch issue. For a moment I thought the latest firmware fixed this problem, but I was wrong. It still shows up even when turning gently. DA2 is totally crap for FPV when used with EIS.
2022-8-2
Use props
fans54016cc6
lvl.3
Japan

In addition that, Jello is a common issue of HD cam on a quad except gopro. Only way to solve this issue is killing vibration and (optional)using ND filter. Mine has absolutely no jello with using appropriate soft mount. More than that, the problem is damn glitches(or twitch? what ever!).
2022-8-4
Use props
KaleidoFPV
lvl.2

Spain

Hows the status on this?
Since the camera is not capable, only thing DJI can do is to add the gyro data into the mp4 files.

It should be fixed if we were able to stabilize with GyroFlow.

Please add that meta data and it will be fixed. All drone flight issues will be fixed at once.

2022-8-5
Use props
Peschi
lvl.1
Germany

KaleidoFPV Posted at 8-5 07:21
Hows the status on this?
Since the camera is not capable, only thing DJI can do is to add the gyro data into the mp4 files.

The status is that the problem will ignored from DJI?!
2022-8-18
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

Still no gyro data... it's a shame.
I'm using GoPro again because I could die waiting the fixes.
2022-8-18
Use props
Chromejr
New
United States

I am also running into all the issues described here. Rocksteady/Steady is pretty much useless for FPV purposes.
I may have to switch to gopro...
To re-iterate what others have said. PLEASE make gyro data available and we can stabilize in post.
2022-8-20
Use props
Chromejr
New
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-1 18:31
hi,Cobani
plz see the personal message.
plz PM your DJI account (mimo log in account)

Hi DJI-ytao,

Is there any further movement on this?
10.03.30.20/10.00.36.09 firmware is still VERY broken as far as stabilization goes for FPV.

Is there a beta firmware that might address the stabilization issues for FPV??
Or at the very least that makes Gyro data available so we can stabilize the video in post?

This issue is mentioned multiple times on this forum and it seems no communication from DJI as to if it is even being acknowledged or still worked on....Please advise
2022-8-20
Use props
fans9e2e7065
lvl.2
Hungary

Action 3 is already in the corner DJI doesn't give a ... about the action 2 anymore I think. I Already gone back to gopros for fpv. I has high hopes for the action 2 but basically it is useless for me so time to sell it. With gopro subscription I already replaced 3 gopro hero 5 to hero 9 without any charge... Never buy a DJI action cam again.
2022-8-21
Use props
Peschi
lvl.1
Germany

fans9e2e7065 Posted at 8-21 02:46
Action 3 is already in the corner DJI doesn't give a ... about the action 2 anymore I think. I Already gone back to gopros for fpv. I has high hopes for the action 2 but basically it is useless for me so time to sell it. With gopro subscription I already replaced 3 gopro hero 5 to hero 9 without any charge... Never buy a DJI action cam again.

Your so right man. This dji ... is insane
... no support, no worl together with the community.
I didnt wonder why they are just everytime number two
2022-9-19
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

There's any news? It's incredible, a lack of respect, common sense... they could have a revolutionary cam for FPV, and we still using used hero session, gopro bones, gopro stripped down, only because DJI DON'T LISTEN.
2022-9-20
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans54016cc6 Posted at 3-2 19:15
Jello and EIS failure is different thing. Jello is caused by rolling shutter effect and the resonance of the motor, so it can be reduced by lowering the shutter speed. On the other hand, EIS failure can be reduced by increasing the shutter speed. I agree with you that we need gyro data. With gyro data, we don't need EIS and we can use slower shutter speed without worrying about anything!

There's also the added issues of badly balanced props, the actual camera mount might not be suitable or is picking up vibrations when in flight. The thing with using this for FPV footage is it has to be secured and all the other parameters associated with FPV can effect it. The tune, vibration from the frame, mount, props.....It can be a nightmare but more often than not resolved quite simply.
2022-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules