1907 6 2022-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a pocket 1 which has been around the world with me. It's been sitting in a drawer for a while, and I decided to upgrade to a pocket 2 (some work trips looming and I realised I missed the little thing) So I hooked it up yesterday.

Now - with my pocket 1 i had an iphone 11 and the apple case - all fine because the case doesn't have a bottom BUT since i've used it i've got an iphone 12 pro and the apple cases - and as we all know - the lightning connector just will not fit into anything other than what seems to be a bare naked phone and i'm not prepared to take the risk.

I have actually founf the cable that comes with the DJI mini2 or Mavic Air 2 remote controller is actually a really good size and the plugs have flat sides on them if you want to use the pocket in a holder like the popular PGYtech metal folding one that DJI sell rebranded.

I already have a PGY holder for pocket 1 but this means I'd need a lightning extender plug thing and we all know how they're not so great AND more stress on the lightning port. Yes. - there's a cable option but it then takes up the charging port (no big deal if it's charged) but it's still cables and things which seems to take away from the beauty of the pocket.

So i looked in my box of rigging parts - and at 2am this morning had an idea. It wont be compact as phone+gimbal only but it will be pretty cool if i could somehow use a magsafe adapter with this.. so..

1x Smallrig cage for osmo
1x little (really little) magic arm
1x Moment threaded magsafe mount

Obviously there's scope to add a tripod plate or screw other things to the rig - perhaps a side handle (if you really want)
Cables haven't arrived but i've orderd a small female to male lightning cable which will leave the bottom port open for charging.

The weight of the rig (without phone and cable) is only 40/50 g more than the PGYtech holder. I can undo the magic arm and fold the magsafe even closer to the cage so it's pretty compact (again about hte same folded footprint but not as thin as the PGYtech holder)

Here's how it looks.

(hope the picures show!)

IMG_1988.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg
2022-3-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Seems like an interesting workaround. I myself don't have much experience about Apple stuff though, I'm using the Pocket 2 with an OnePlus 5, either with the official DJI phone clip or with the DIA-Handle wirelessly.
2022-3-5
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 3-5 11:38
Seems like an interesting workaround. I myself don't have much experience about Apple stuff though, I'm using the Pocket 2 with an OnePlus 5, either with the official DJI phone clip or with the DIA-Handle wirelessly.

I’m considering the DIA handle - this rig would work and it would be still easy to get the phone on and off and not bother with any cables.
I could revert to a wired connection if there’s issues - I’m just not a fan of Wi-Fi control on cameras / iPhone combos
2022-3-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Satureyes Posted at 3-5 11:42
I’m considering the DIA handle - this rig would work and it would be still easy to get the phone on and off and not bother with any cables.
I could revert to a wired connection if there’s issues - I’m just not a fan of Wi-Fi control on cameras / iPhone combos

Yeah, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. :-)
2022-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice DIY project.  Should work quite well.  
2022-3-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Satureyes. Good day and thank you for giving out these interesting information and for sharing this innovative rig for your DJI Pocket 2 with us. Great work and have a nice day.
2022-3-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very cool idea.   
2022-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now