Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 3 Focus Issues
6670 27 2022-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andrey_ru
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21546096 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I am an experienced user of DJI drones, and I have repeatedly noticed a slight defocus on the new mavic 3, this applies to both the main and the second camera of the drone - the focus intentionally "moves out".I can distinguish loss of sharpness from slow shutter speeds and out of focus. I ask DJI to look into this issue.

The drone runs on the latest (currently) firmware. And I think this problem is urgent.

EXAMPLES of photos and videos at the link. everywhere used autofocus and tap on the screen, for a clearer focus.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ztjcu9cm0p1233/AACT3GAr50BCzvbYFe01B5Foa?dl=0

UP
daytime photos and videos from my camerahttps://drive.google.com/drive/f ... W3mYGFNCPyIkvXUQwPI
2022-3-9
Use props
borsch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Same for me
2022-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi had a look and can see what you mean some parts of the photos look a bit soft. Was it windy when shooting these particularly with slow shutter you need still conditions or close to it in low light. First photo also looks a little distorted almost like you were using a wide angle lens. Also would the lens have had any condensation on it.

It could of course be the camera but both cameras are independent and would be unlikely they had the same problem.

Can you show some other photos under normal lighting conditions with both cameras. I know from my own M3 its not always getting sharp images.
2022-3-9
Use props
andrey_ru
lvl.2
  • >>>
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 02:59
Hi had a look and can see what you mean some parts of the photos look a bit soft. Was it windy when shooting these particularly with slow shutter you need still conditions or close to it in low light. First photo also looks a little distorted almost like you were using a wide angle lens. Also would the lens have had any condensation on it.

It could of course be the camera but both cameras are independent and would be unlikely they had the same problem.

Updated the contents of the folder by the link!
Please pay attention to the "2module_166mm.MOV" file, it clearly shows how a sharp picture goes out of focus on its own
I also attach other files, and I'm sure that it's not a slow shutter speed, but a problem with the focus sensor, and on both cameras.
2022-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

andrey_ru Posted at 3-9 03:25
Updated the contents of the folder by the link!
Please pay attention to the "2module_166mm.MOV" file, it clearly shows how a sharp picture goes out of focus on its own
I also attach other files, and I'm sure that it's not a slow shutter speed, but a problem with the focus sensor, and on both cameras.

I certainly can see the fall off in the dng files, but the smaller camera its more difficult. It doesn’t really matter if you’re returning it and I suggest you should they will just change the whole drone. Definitely the big camera is not right and I have seen another poster with similar before last FW update.
2022-3-9
Use props
andrey_ru
lvl.2
  • >>>
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 04:25
I certainly can see the fall off in the dng files, but the smaller camera its more difficult. It doesn’t really matter if you’re returning it and I suggest you should they will just change the whole drone. Definitely the big camera is not right and I have seen another poster with similar before last FW update.

Do you have any doubts that this problem will not be fixed by updating the firmware?
I think it's a software problem
2022-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

andrey_ru Posted at 3-9 04:45
Do you have any doubts that this problem will not be fixed by updating the firmware?
I think it's a software problem

I think if that was a FW problem then it would show through in many more M3. But yes SW FW can fix a lot, and hopefully there is FW coming soon maybe you could wait.
2022-3-9
Use props
andrey_ru
lvl.2
  • >>>
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 05:04
I think if that was a FW problem then it would show through in many more M3. But yes SW FW can fix a lot, and hopefully there is FW coming soon maybe you could wait.

did you notice a problem with daytime photos?
2022-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

andrey_ru Posted at 3-9 05:29
did you notice a problem with daytime photos?

Only the dng files. Maybe when you apply lens correction might help but unlikely.
2022-3-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there andrey_ru. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-3-9
Use props
andrey_ru
lvl.2
  • >>>
Russia

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-9 19:00
Hello there andrey_ru. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.

I provide daytime shooting files. I'm sure my camera's sharpness isn't perfect. Please take note of the materials on this link, and I hope you can help me with my problem.

There are also photos and videos that show the poor focus of my camera.

-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWFqSc3tRnqQiW3mYGFNCPyIkvXUQwPI?usp=sharing
2022-3-13
Use props
andrey_ru
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-9 19:00

dji support thinks this is normal sharpness for my mavic 3. i think mavic 2 and air2s take a much sharper picture.  support thinks that I don't need help, I think they are incompetent.
2AB64263-8BD8-403B-B3E5-766E1509973B.jpeg
2022-3-16
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Looks terrible to me. I think if it's not a common problem you should send it back or get a refund at place of purchase.
2022-3-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

andrey_ru Posted at 3-16 02:30
dji support thinks this is normal sharpness for my mavic 3. i think mavic 2 and air2s take a much sharper picture.  support thinks that I don't need help, I think they are incompetent.

Hi there andrey_ru. Thank you giving out these additional information and for posting this photo as well. Again, I am, sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2022-3-17
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

I looked over some of your photo's and videos and cant make a determination either way. Couple of issues and why it is impossible to make a real judgement is that you're video's appear to be just 720p and 1080p. Really need to see a good 4k or 5.1k video. So, this makes it really hard to judge any of the videos. The best evidence you have is the raw photo's. I looked at many of them. I could see potential problems in some but its impossible to say given I have no idea what settings you shot them at. In some of the night photos I see motion blur on vehicles for example, so I know there is slow shutter involved on some of them. I do not know what aperture you shot them at, what shutter speed, where your focus point was. Having some lenses in a camera be better than others is 100% a legit thing. I was a photographer for many years before ever getting into drones. Getting a "good copy" of an expensive lens is a thing for sure. I used to own all canon equipment, and had some good L lenses, some of which cost as much as the Mavic 3 by themselves. Even in these very expensive and high quality lenses you get "bad copies" of the lens. These "bad copies" are not drastic departures from a "good copy" but in testing you can often see differences in sharpness. So, it is possible you have a bad copy of the lens, but its impossible to know with the information we have to review. You can easily make a photograph look poor just from shooting it with improper settings. For example: If you are shooting a night city scape, as many of your photos are, and you are at a slow shutter speed, F2.8 aperture, and are focusing on the building closest to the drone, you are very likely to get soft focus on distant objects. Depth of field and focal range are big players in this determination. I think you need to conduct some controlled testing in an indoor environment under controlled light. Leave the drone sitting completely stationary on a table.

Determining whether you have a poor copy of the lens is going to take some real work, because typically the margins aren't huge, and its very easy to arrive at an incorrect conclusion without good experience and proper testing. (knowing how and what to look for and how to reveal it) It can also be a challenge when you don't have another Mavic 3 to compare your results against. You also have to be somewhat careful of comparing your results to something you amy see on youtube that has undergone extensive post prosessing.
2022-3-18
Use props
andrey_ru
lvl.2
  • >>>
Russia

Tornado12 Posted at 3-18 07:22
I looked over some of your photo's and videos and cant make a determination either way. Couple of issues and why it is impossible to make a real judgement is that you're video's appear to be just 720p and 1080p. Really need to see a good 4k or 5.1k video. So, this makes it really hard to judge any of the videos. The best evidence you have is the raw photo's. I looked at many of them. I could see potential problems in some but its impossible to say given I have no idea what settings you shot them at. In some of the night photos I see motion blur on vehicles for example, so I know there is slow shutter involved on some of them. I do not know what aperture you shot them at, what shutter speed, where your focus point was. Having some lenses in a camera be better than others is 100% a legit thing. I was a photographer for many years before ever getting into drones. Getting a "good copy" of an expensive lens is a thing for sure. I used to own all canon equipment, and had some good L lenses, some of which cost as much as the Mavic 3 by themselves. Even in these very expensive and high quality lenses you get "bad copies" of the lens. These "bad copies" are not drastic departures from a "good copy" but in testing you can often see differences in sharpness. So, it is possible you have a bad copy of the lens, but its impossible to know with the information we have to review. You can easily make a photograph look poor just from shooting it with improper settings. For example: If you are shooting a night city scape, as many of your photos are, and you are at a slow shutter speed, F2.8 aperture, and are focusing on the building closest to the drone, you are very likely to get soft focus on distant objects. Depth of field and focal range are big players in this determination. I think you need to conduct some controlled testing in an indoor environment under controlled light. Leave the drone sitting completely stationary on a table.

Determining whether you have a poor copy of the lens is going to take some real work, because typically the margins aren't huge, and its very easy to arrive at an incorrect conclusion without good experience and proper testing. (knowing how and what to look for and how to reveal it) It can also be a challenge when you don't have another Mavic 3 to compare your results against. You also have to be somewhat careful of comparing your results to something you amy see on youtube that has undergone extensive post prosessing.

You can be sure of my competence. I am sure that there is an error in the optics, but unfortunately my error goes towards a factory defect. All my pictures have metadata, also you can take a look at my skypixel profile to make sure I understand how to take clear pictures. Thanks for your reply.

more: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2696784
2022-3-18
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

andrey_ru Posted at 3-18 09:19
You can be sure of my competence. I am sure that there is an error in the optics, but unfortunately my error goes towards a factory defect. All my pictures have metadata, also you can take a look at my skypixel profile to make sure I understand how to take clear pictures. Thanks for your reply.

more: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=261460&page=1#pid2696784

I will try to look them over when I am at my personal home computer. I am away on work at the moment. Also just to clarify I was not questioning your competence, just speaking in general terms. As a long time photographer Ive just seen a lot of mistakes made from new or inexperienced photographers, and when testing something like this you really have to make sure of what youre doing. Hopefully you understand what I am saying.

All the best.
2022-3-18
Use props
fans4e5d954f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 175669 ft
United States

Did you ever get this fixed? My drone has soft images as well. Starting to think the gimble isn't performing
2022-4-18
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Very interested to know also...
2022-4-18
Use props
antalp
New

Netherlands

Hi All,

Same for me.  

Mavic 3 was on the table in daylight. 3.5 meters away on an object perfectly in focus (tab on screen) seconds later without any movement or change object is no longer in focus
Settings: 5k, 50fps, shutter speed: 1/100, 5.6 - latest firmware

I did this test because I also get blurry images in air sometimes - buildings that are in focus and suddenly become out of focus.

Best regards,
2022-4-27
Use props
simonr23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3748396 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Same issue here.
Up to date firmware.
In autofocus, main camera, raw mode.
It’ll find focus, but actually then settle on a slightly closer and out of focus distance instead of the correct focus distance/sharpness.

Annoying and not cool for this market segment.
2022-8-30
Use props
helivantaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25425932 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

I am having the same problem since the last upgrade, please help!
2023-2-14
Use props
helivantaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
Mexico

Since the last upgrade I notice that the camera is in a constant autofocus mode, so I loose focus all the time, and also the sharpness is not good. There must be a problem with the last firmware upgrade, it is urgent to be fixed.
2023-2-14
Use props
helivantaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
Mexico

am a very experienced user in the use of DJI drones. Until two updates ago, the focus of my mavic 3 cine worked correctly. After the penultimate update, the autofocus system changes my focus constantly and it shows in the shots. On the other hand, the sharpness is no longer the same. It is urgent that DJI fix this problem, I have 3 mavic cine, 3 mavic 3 normal and 2 mavic classic and I have the same problem in all of them. It is a software situation. Too bad again for DJI. I don't understand how they release updates without testing them correctly in the face of such an obvious failure.
2023-2-14
Use props
helivantaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
Mexico

I am a very experienced user in the use of DJI drones. Until two updates ago, the focus of my mavic 3 cine worked correctly. After the penultimate update, the autofocus system changes my focus constantly and it shows in the shots. On the other hand, the sharpness is no longer the same. It is urgent that DJI fix this problem, I have 3 mavic cine, 3 mavic 3 normal and 2 mavic classic and I have the same problem in all of them. It is a software situation.
Too bad again for DJI. I don't understand how they release updates without testing them correctly in the face of such an obvious failure.  This problem did not exist before the update.
2023-2-14
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi All / DJI,

Just wanted to share my "2 cents". On Mavic 2 Pro and probably earlier Mavics  , there were 3 options in DJI Go 4 :

1) Auto Focus.
2) Auto Focus continuous.
3) Manual Focus.

I think what DJI implemented in one of the latest updates is the Auto Focus continuous mode when using Auto Focus, where the camera would constantly hunt for focus based on contrast changes or something like that. Even though I think the Auto Focus that had been there before was also "continuous" type of focus as I saw it would hunt for focus even before prior updates, but maybe the algorithm that had gotten recently implemented is too aggressive or something like that and the camera changes focus when it shouldn't. I have not personally seen this issue myself though, but just wanted to make a guess based on what others are saying. Hope this helps. Thank you in advance.

Take care, Mike.

2023-2-14
Use props
helivantaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
Mexico

Mzp Posted at 2-14 12:21
Hi All / DJI,

Just wanted to share my "2 cents". On Mavic 2 Pro and probably earlier Mavics  , there were 3 options in DJI Go 4 :

I am having this problem with autofocus continuos on magic 3 cine, mavic 3, mavic 3 classic and Dji mini 3 pro.
2023-2-19
Use props
seattle_helo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56533511 ft
United States

I'm having the same problem now that I am running the latest firmware on a Mavic 3 Cine. This was not a problem with FW .800 and earlier. Is this still a know issue? As a workaround can I set a focus in AF and then switch to MF to lock it in?
2023-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules