DJI ASSISTANT 2 -- NOW APPEARS TO WORK ON MAC???
5007 22 2022-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177408 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,

Whilst looking at the DJI.com web page for M3 i noticed that the usual wording advising that the DJI Assistant 2 would not work on Apple Mac with software more recent than version 11   has now been REMOVED....

But interestingly the software package for the MAC has not changed it is still at 2.1.9 dated Jan 24 2022, which i believe it was previously???

Since i have owned the M3 this software has been unavailable to me as a MAC user and i was intrigued. so i have downloaded it and sure enough, after a few extra steps to install it appears to run on my system, which is at 12.2.1.

But why did i bother...what is it supposed to do? i get to know what Firmware the system is at and i have an option to revert to the previous level and i can see the Storage devices i have installed in my M3, but they were there before I believe when connecting the M3 via USB...

What am i missing???

Thanks

JohnW

PS not sure if this is specific to M3 but I could not find a category Software Category to use for this thread?
2022-3-9
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

For me. it seems to download and update faster than over WiFi, plus sometimes if the installation of firmware gets "stuck" using the Fly app the DJI Assistant will complete no problem.  I personally use it for all firmware updates.  Some will prefer the Fly App.  To each his/her own!
2022-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It has proven to be more reliable when installing FW. Also if you ever need to calibrate your sensors it will be through assistant. Lastly if you’re going to ever hack your drone you will also need assistant ;+).
I do concur its a bit of a waste of space I’m sure it could be developed into something like a log reader etc…
2022-3-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Strange, it always worked for me on Big Sur and Monterey.
2022-3-9
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

Thanks for the tip to use for Firmware updates.. ... Will do

Not sure I understand about the Calibrating Sensors......... is there something i have missed, there did not appear to be any links to do much more with this utility..

Thanks

JohnW
2022-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ejwjohn Posted at 3-9 14:00
Hello,

Thanks for the tip to use for Firmware updates.. ... Will do

Yes you need assist and if you ever have to calibrate sensors. I think if you plug drone it should give you the menu.
2022-3-9
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

Thank for this.

JohnW
2022-3-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JohnW. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information. Just a reminder to kindly please calibrate the said DJI drone using a monitor display of 14 inches or bigger is recommended for the calibration. Please set the display’s resolution to the recommended default value. ( Usually, the 14-inch display’s resolution should be set at 1366*768 or 1440*900. The 17-inch display’s resolution: 1366*768 or 1280*720. The 19-inch display’s resolution: 1366*768 or 1440*900. The 22-inch display’s resolution: 1680*1050 or 1920*1080. The 24-inch display’s resolution: 1920*1080 or 1920*1200.) Thank you.
2022-3-9
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

I have only had my M3 for a few months and am still learning, but I have to admit I am totally confused about what you are saying in regard to the calibration of the aircraft and the screen resolution??

I have connected my M3 to the Mac and also have the Controller and iPhone connected to the aircraft and selected IMU calibration.... and nothing comes up on the DJI Assistant screen ??, and to do the Compass Calibration you need to be outside and my DJI Assistant utility is loaded onto my desktop??? do i need a laptop for this????

And where in the DJI documentation does it mention any of this, please?

And how does the screen resolution of my MAC impacts calibration ??? i am at a total loss?

JohnW
2022-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ejwjohn Posted at 3-10 01:12
Hello,

I have only had my M3 for a few months and am still learning, but I have to admit I am totally confused about what you are saying in regard to the calibration of the aircraft and the screen resolution??

I didn’t mention anything about IMU. Sensors ie obstacle avoidance and to just need to plug in your craft nothing else. It will come up on the menu. Don’t calibrate if not needed. Many you tube videos if your not familiar
2022-3-10
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

OK,

But can I clarify one point, when i plug in my M3 there is no other menu item listed……….

JohnW
2022-3-10
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

I did find references to using DJI Assistant 2 and learnt that the version i now have loaded on my MAX OSX system appears totally different from that which Windows users experience.

The two images attached show the screens i get when my M3 is connected to the MAC.

I think i will open a new thread on this to see if i can get any action from DJI.....not hopeful

Thanks

John
2022-3-11
Use props
djiuser_2B31DC5Bqymp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8934 ft
United States

I'm having a problem where DJI Assistant 2 sees my drone and lets me in, but all I get is "Save to Local" and nothing else. Then it just saves a log file. macOS Monterey.
2022-6-15
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

Yes, that's all you get these days.

johnw
2022-6-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have never seen vision calibration options for the M3 when using Assistant on windows or mac.  I think that "feature" is not yet implemented.  As it stands, you cannot calibrate the IMU (typically not needed thankfully) or calibrate the vision sensors.  
2022-6-15
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

My understanding is that these are old features that used to be available on previous Mavics... but i may have this totally wrong.

Maybe some of the more experienced Mavic pilots will comment.

Thx

JohnW
2022-6-15
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi,

Just read part of the user guide for Mini 3 Pro and it references  the DJI Assitant 2 as the way to calibrate the Mini 3 pro Vision System  Sensors,, so my reference to older mavic is not correct… the brand new Mini 3 Pro requires the utility, when i get my Mini 3 Pro i will see if DJI Assistant 2  provides different results when. I use the utility with the new Drone ???

Thanks

John W
2022-6-16
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hello,

I should add that i will be using on a MAC M1 based system

JohnW
2022-6-16
Use props
alanj49
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251677 ft
United Kingdom

Hmm I connect to DJI Assistant but have mixed results. If I install the latest one I am told that it is not compatible with my OS - Monterey, so I install the older version and I can connect buit I am told it is a Mavic Air 2 as per the attached screenshots. My previous drone is the Air 2  ,
2022-6-21
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

FYI,

My latest experience with my new M1 and th e latest version of DJI Assistant 2 is not great i cannot even get it installed, i am in discussion with DJI support, but nothing startling has emerged as yet?

Hope to keep you posted.

JohnW
2022-6-23
Use props
djiuser_MAPsUOoBLNBf
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-9 09:30
It has proven to be more reliable when installing FW. Also if you ever need to calibrate your sensors it will be through assistant. Lastly if you’re going to ever hack your drone you will also need assistant ;+).
I do concur its a bit of a waste of space I’m sure it could be developed into something like a log reader etc…

I tried calibration of sensors today on my Mac running Monterey. I got through the forward and bottom ones, but having a heck of a time getting the red and green lines lined up for the rearward sensors (Mini 3 Pro). Played for a while at it. Then the drone overheated and disconnected. I gave up at that point. I’ll have to set up my desk fan and try it again. Drone is only a week old. Never crashed ir had any hard landings. I didn’t even know calibrating  the vision sensors was a thing until I decided to play with assistant 2 today.
2022-7-6
Use props
DroneOutCRE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19367 ft
United States

ejwjohn Posted at 6-23 13:53
FYI,

My latest experience with my new M1 and th e latest version of DJI Assistant 2 is not great i cannot even get it installed, i am in discussion with DJI support, but nothing startling has emerged as yet?

Have you had any resolve on this?  I have an M1 running MacOS 12.5.1 need to triage my wonky mav 3 cine.
2022-8-31
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Hello,

Thanks for reminding me about this... i meant to update this post a couple of days ago.

After what seems like weeks of discussions with DJI support and them taking my Mavic 3 Mini Pro back for testing TWICE...here is the latest:-

1. As far a DJi Assitnat 2.... i can now install ( after you go through the hoops in passing the Apple security checks as DJI is not an official  App partner) it onto the latest MacBook Pro with the M! Pro chip which is progress indeed,

2. The Firmware upgrade feature appears to work fine

3. I cannot get the LOG export to work with Phantom4 Log View as there is a special utility that converts the . DAT file from DJI Assistant 2 into a readable file for the viewer and the standard DatCon utility will not work they do provide an alternative but i cannot get it to run correctly on my system.

3. all of the above is applicable for the Mavic 3, ( and there are no further utilities available for the M3) but the same version of DJI Assistant 2 will support the Mavic 3 Mini Pro and that suffers from the same issues as above, however...

3. When you connect the Mini3 Pro to DJI Assitant 2 there is another utility available called Vision System Calibration and this has been a real challenge and caused DJI to request i send back my Mini3 Pro TWICE for them to check.......much to my frustration and I tried to argue that it could not be the Drone as the first time they had it, they totally replaced it will a new Mini 3 Pro and that has the same issue... however they insisted...

4. Beofer my Mini 3 Pro arrived at their facility in Germany, they emailed me to advise that the DJI Assitant 2 currently available for MAC OSX will not work for Vision System Calibration and the screen drivers are not compatible....

Not a great experience in using DJI Support or their return service... and DJI Assitant 2 is next to useless for those of us who depend on MAC OSX... and accorind to DJI it shoud lnot be an issue for us to buy another pc??? this time a Windows PC???   NO CHANCE..

Thx

JohnW

2022-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules