Features Request re. Waypoints/Hyperlapse
1269 9 2022-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

I know the Mavic 3 firmware is a work-in-progress. I wanted to describe a few features that I hope will be added or improved.

• Ability to set Hyperlapse "auto-generated" video to something other than 25fps.
  • Option for CINE drones to output "auto-generated" video in ProRes format.
  • More consistent/accurate Waypoint perspective (for repeated, saved Missions.)

Regarding No. 3, I've run repeated flights (day-to-night) using the same Mission, on days when the windspeed was in low single digits. Nevertheless, significant differences results in pitch/yaw perspective, between the repeated flights. Repeated flights using the same Mission data should be exactly the same, given windspeed was 3-4 knots. But, vast differences exist in the DNG sequence (and the "auto-generated" video.) This makes it very difficult to overlay two sequences, when the perspective is not the same.

I'm going to try adding a "bumper" Waypoint at the beginning, so the desired footage is between Waypoints 2-3. But it really seems like the camera positions and paths ought to be identical, in almost every way, given the low windpseed. And I'm talking about flights around 400' AGL, so it's way over the city; yet, the differences are pronounced enough to make day-to-night edits almost impossible.

And other times, it works almost perfectly between flights, with footage matching up almost perfectly – even in higher windspeed conditions. The inaccurate, repreated flights were actually most noticeable on the repeated flights in the calmest conditions. (I check windspeed at the altitude I'll be flying, using the paid version of the UAV app.)

2022-3-9
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

dont even bother using waypoints for hyperlapse.  its akin to throwing a dart over the back of your head an expecting a bullseye.   waypoints should be one flight mode, with the option to do what ever you want inbetween points, just sve the settings.  lapse, video, even fix the format.  they really need to take waypoints to the next level.  not remove it!
2022-3-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Another feature to add would be Orbit mode for HyperLapse. It has circle but you cannot do any settings on it, with Orbit you can set how far the drone must be from target.
2022-3-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We will forward this suggestion of yours to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-3-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 great ideas.
2022-3-10
Use props
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 3-9 16:57
dont even bother using waypoints for hyperlapse.  its akin to throwing a dart over the back of your head an expecting a bullseye.   waypoints should be one flight mode, with the option to do what ever you want inbetween points, just sve the settings.  lapse, video, even fix the format.  they really need to take waypoints to the next level.  not remove it!

I'm fairly new to Hyperlapse/Waypoints, with a focus on day-to-night sequences. What techniques could be used to produce more consistent hyperlapse recordings? I just defaulted to Waypoints, but maybe there are other features I should be trying out, for hyperlapse missions?
2022-3-10
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

jfjhfjhgkjhkhgcgfcfh
2022-3-12
Use props
ArtPeers
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 3-12 08:51
the best lapse I ever got was luck.  i don't even remember setting up the drone, I launched, flew up 300 feet and started hyperlapse, free mode, and got as many photos as possible.  i have no idea really.

one end is bound to be over or under exposed.  heres the lapse i got with the air 2 s.

Thank you for sharing this.

I should've explained better, we're doing day-to-night (overlay) hyperlapses – that's why Waypoints are key.
And, this is why I hope furture updates will improve the ability to create repeatable, identical flight paths.

Here's an example of the type of hyperlapse we're creating:

2022-3-13
Use props
BuzzDev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28691 ft
Australia

Setting Waypoints while on the ground before takeoff:

The Waypoints currently in Hyperlapse would be much more useful if DJI could add:

1) Ability to set waypoints while on the ground from the map: i.e. having to fly to each waypoint first, seems counter-productive to me ?

2) Add this similar Waypoints in Hyperlapse to the FocusTrack (spotlight) capability too... and allow for POI/Subject Target to also be set as a coord on map too (pre-flight as part of the waypoint file saved).

... and include setting altitude and orientation (or POI GPS) of waypoint on ground too (obviously).  This facility is easy in my other drones.

Thanks,   Mike
2022-3-14
Use props
franz.metrixs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6617077 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I absolutely agree with point no. 3. Furthermore I would like to see the possibility to save (on a hard drive) and reload waypoint missions which would be extremely useful for longer projects in order to be sure that a backup of the waypoint mission is always available. Or does someone of you know how to do that?
2022-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules