Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Minimum height on RTH for Mavic Mini too high
1899 6 2022-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 400902 ft
South Africa

Can we have the option of setting the Return To Home height to 1 meter?
I'd like to use it as a work around for a tracking option whilst cycling.
We'd be able to set the drone RTH height at 1.5m, say, change its orientation and then ride alongside it on a route back to the home point.
We're all grownups here and we understand that we can damage the drone if we get it wrong, but a 15 meters limit...?
Come on man!
Please!
2022-3-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can see reasons for their not doing it, namely safety of others and dogs. Also I'd bet some folks would claim it was DJI's fault that the drone crashed into something if returning that low.
I could see reason in a 5m floor but not much below that.
If you want to do it let the drone reach 15m and start towards home then bring it down to 1.5m.
But realistically I would think you haven't any hope of them doing this.

Can drone hacks change the limit?
2022-3-12
Use props
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
South Africa

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-12 08:13
I can see reasons for their not doing it, namely safety of others and dogs. Also I'd bet some folks would claim it was DJI's fault that the drone crashed into some that low.
I could see reason in a 5m floor but not much below that.
If you want to do it let the drone reach 15m and start towards home then bring it down to 1.5m.

Sure. I also doubt that DJI will consider this, but if you don't ask, you won't get. My argument to DJI is that I can manually fly at 1.5m and bash into things and even with the current 15m limit of RTH, pilots are still flying into obstacles.
When RTH is initiated, one can change the orientation  of the drone, but it returns to the 15m limit on the way back when you force it lower.
Drone Hacks have come back to me. They cannot help.
The closest work around is setting up a simple mission in Litchi, but there is quite a bit more admin involved.
Thanks for your input, though.
2022-3-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"but it returns to the 15m limit on the way back when you force it lower."   That is a surprise but I have never tried to bring a drone below the minimum during RTH. I have reduced height during an RTH, which was the reason I thought my suggestion would work, but the drone would normally be RTH'ing  at around 25m or more.
2022-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Buc_Caneer Posted at 3-12 23:18
Sure. I also doubt that DJI will consider this, but if you don't ask, you won't get. My argument to DJI is that I can manually fly at 1.5m and bash into things and even with the current 15m limit of RTH, pilots are still flying into obstacles.
When RTH is initiated, one can change the orientation  of the drone, but it returns to the 15m limit on the way back when you force it lower.
Drone Hacks have come back to me. They cannot help.

When you’re flying Manually the drone is under your control. In RTH you have turned over control or the drone has taken over control. I agree we’re all adults and responsible, but unfortunately life is not so perfect.
Maybe create a Remote Control dolly use your Osmo action. I’ve seen much stranger things carrying cameras ;+)
2022-3-13
Use props
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
South Africa

The risk for DJI is that the RTH can be triggered when the drone loses comms with your remote, low battery situation, etc. If you've then left the the limit at 1.5m, it would descend to that height and come back to base with potentially catastrophic consequences. I believe that they can reset the height back to 15m when one of those circumstances triggers a RTH.
(I love their products and I do have the Osmo Action, also.)
Alternatively, if the new Mini3 had a few additional sensors and Active Track at less than 150g...

2022-3-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buc_Caneer Posted at 3-13 06:04
The risk for DJI is that the RTH can be triggered when the drone loses comms with your remote, low battery situation, etc. If you've then left the the limit at 1.5m, it would descend to that height and come back to base with potentially catastrophic consequences. I believe that they can reset the height back to 15m when one of those circumstances triggers a RTH.
(I love their products and I do have the Osmo Action, also.)
Alternatively, if the new Mini3 had a few additional sensors and Active Track at less than 150g...

That I know of, NO* DJI drone descends to RTH height. All (that I know of) remain above RTH height if they started that way.

* the possible exception to this might be those drones the have a 'fancy' RTH behaviour and include a descent slope in the RTH  (Mavic Air 2 perhaps) but they/it are not descending TO RTH HEIGHT, rather they/it are descending in general, to reduce the RTH time to landing etc..
2022-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules