Horizon not level
4360 13 2022-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
heliovue
lvl.1
United States

Hey all-

After my first couple of flights with my DJI FPV I noticed that my horizon was not level during flight and could only be corrected with countered roll. I attributed it to wind and waited for a calm day for a test flight.

That calm day was yesterday, and the horizon was still slightly out of level. It isn’t noticeable when the drone is grounded, telling me it is ever-so-slightly off, however it is extremely pronounced when in the air and viewing a further horizon.

The 2 axis gimbal is mounted and secured to the rubber grommets, so I am wondering if there a software adjustment that can be made. I could fix it in post but I really do not want the extra work as this is for commercial work and a quick turnaround is important.

Looking forward to any help.

Thanks!
2022-3-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there heliovue. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate your DJI FPV to see if the issue will persist? May we please know before experiencing this issue was there a hard landing or a crash that happened to your DJI FPV? Thank you.
2022-3-12
Use props
heliovue
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-12 19:14
Hello there heliovue. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate your DJI FPV to see if the issue will persist? May we please know before experiencing this issue was there a hard landing or a crash that happened to your DJI FPV? Thank you.

Hey Stephen- I will try calibration again.

All landings have been controlled and intentional! The offset horizon has been an issue since the first of 3 total flights, but I had attributed it to wind until yesterday.

I will let you know if there is any improvement after recalibrating.

Thank you
2022-3-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

heliovue Posted at 3-12 19:21
Hey Stephen- I will try calibration again.

All landings have been controlled and intentional! The offset horizon has been an issue since the first of 3 total flights, but I had attributed it to wind until yesterday.

Hi there heliovue. Thank you for the reply and for these given information. Kindly please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2022-3-13
Use props
agolubovich92
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292513 ft
Cyprus

Hello
I have the same problem as heliovue with my dji fpv drone
I made calibration, there is no wind, but horizon still not level
It's happening every time
2022-3-19
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

The horizon out of level problem could be caused by wind even if there is no wind while on the ground. To determine if wind is the problem try slowly rotating the FPV through 360°. If the out of level is constant then the problem is either the gimbal isn't attached properly or the FPV is out of balance. If the out of level changes then wind is the likely cause.
2022-3-20
Use props
heliovue
lvl.1
United States

BudWalker Posted at 3-20 08:04
The horizon out of level problem could be caused by wind even if there is no wind while on the ground. To determine if wind is the problem try slowly rotating the FPV through 360°. If the out of level is constant then the problem is either the gimbal isn't attached properly or the FPV is out of balance. If the out of level changes then wind is the likely cause.
Thanks Bud, I am aware of that and very familiar with UAVs and wind factors. I was in a clearing between trees and also above the UAV - wind was not a factor this time. The horizon was tilted consistently throughout the entire yaw range. Other drones in my fleet did not have that issue during this time. I appreciate the idea. Best -H

I’ve had a family issue this past week but will run through the firmware and calibration again on Monday.
2022-3-20
Use props
FlyRacer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281880 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello,

ive made my first flight today too and i experienced the same horzon problem, dji is there somerhing we can do??
2022-3-20
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Is it the same if you hover it indoors?

Even a very mild breeze will cause the drone to tilt when flying in GPS assisted mode (Normal and Sport modes) as the drone needs to tilt to maintain a stationary position. You won’t see this with a camera with roll stabilisation, and the FPV drone doesn’t have roll axis stabilisation on the camera gimbal.
2022-3-21
Use props
heliovue
lvl.1
United States

Nidge Posted at 3-21 01:17
Is it the same if you hover it indoors?

Even a very mild breeze will cause the drone to tilt when flying in GPS assisted mode (Normal and Sport modes) as the drone needs to tilt to maintain a stationary position. You won’t see this with a camera with roll stabilisation, and the FPV drone doesn’t have roll axis stabilisation on the camera gimbal.

Thanks for the reply Nidge. I do not have a facility large enough to fly indoors to notice a discernible tilt. I mentioned in a previous reply that during a 360  degree yaw spin the horizon tilt was consistent which disproved my initial wind/breeze theory as well.

I appreciate the reply.

-H

2022-3-21
Use props
Shayne Lory
lvl.1
Flight distance : 751407 ft

United States

Have we not come up with a fix yet?
2023-12-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Shayne Lory Posted at 12-11 11:24
Have we not come up with a fix yet?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please confirm what specific DJI product are you having issues with. Please provide us the detailed information so we can assist you according to what  DJI drone are you using. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-12-13
Use props
Shayne Lory
lvl.1
Flight distance : 751407 ft

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-12-13 02:14
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please confirm what specific DJI product are you having issues with. Please provide us the detailed information so we can assist you according to what  DJI drone are you using. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

It’s kind of obvious I’m commenting on a post about the FPV and asked if anybody had a solve or solution to this yet. I’ve already fixed my issue, but I just wanted to make sure you understood that’s why commented on this post.
2-8 19:35
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Shayne Lory Posted at 2-8 19:35
It’s kind of obvious I’m commenting on a post about the FPV and asked if anybody had a solve or solution to this yet. I’ve already fixed my issue, but I just wanted to make sure you understood that’s why commented on this post.

We appreciate your feedback and we are more than happy to know that you have managed to figure out the issue. The reason for the information collection is for us to make sure that we are on the same page, we need to have the full detailed inquiry before we conduct troubleshooting steps to ensure that we can provide accurate answers or resolutions. Our sincere apologies if the question troubles you. We will keep improving our services in the future. Thank you for your understanding.
2-9 04:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules