Why does DJI knowingly endanger people?
1231 6 2022-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

It's about that utmost annoying BEEPS coming from the remote control as  soon as the battery is low or the drone is returning home.

Yes, it's a confrontational title, but it's about time to face the facts.
And yes, there's another thread (5 pages) dealing with this matter, running for about 3/4 year - with NO results. But things need to change; fast!

Experienced this situation just a few days ago:
First flight with the Mini 2, so I went outside towards a vast meadow, chose a place out of sight of the sidewalk nearby.
Drone about 30 meters away in plain sight, all fine.

Then that loud BEEPS!!!! started! But why? There's that battery level indicator on screen, there's that red warning message on screen, time to return home takes about 5 seconds. So why the heck does that controller start yelling at me?

I instantly felt my stress level increase big time. BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Damn'd, DJI! I wish to concentrate on flying that little guy, I don't wish to get distracted.
And I wish to hear the drone for a) having a second means of knowing it's position, b) hearing if one of the props has a defect. I can't hear the drone properly if the remote blares into my ears.
Plenty of battery left, so I continued flying while that BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! heavily got on my nerves, a permanent distraction.
Then voices: "Is there something wrong? What are you doing here? Does that alarm mean your drone will crash onto us?"
That BEEP!!!ing immediately attracted passerbys, asking questions, increasing my stress level even more while providing answers and being watched.
Higher stress levels mean unsafe flying, if that beeping also attracts foreigners your stress levels raise even more, plus now there's bystanders close-by, potential smash-into-their-faces-targets if some funny wind comes up.

And WHY, DJI? Why do you need to get on my nerves if there's no reason at all? Plenty of battery life remaining, drone just 5 seconds away, two warning indicators on screen. And even if I flew without a smartphone, a single beep would be sufficient to tell me my battery is about to run out. But instead, you do everything to distract me and attract others, endanger me and bystanders, raise the chances of a crash by causing stress and distraction.

PLEASE STOP THAT, NOW!

Let that alert sound until I tap the power button, give me a second alert if battery is critically low, also to be muted by pressing the power button once.

And please: No "We'll forward this to our development team.". Just forward it and tell them they should do it, right now.

Sorry for my slightly harsh tone - but having seen this serious (and real easy to solve) issue getting fully ignored (and being a perception psychologist) caused some adverse effects on my temper.

2022-3-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, Landey. I regret the pain you've been inflicted. If I were in your position, I would feel the same way, apologize for your unpleasant experience. Could you please tell us how much power is left in the battery when the remote control makes a beep sound? Please note:  the low battery level (6% to 10% remaining) alarm tone can be canceled by pressing the power button once. When the battery power level is less than 5%, the alarm tone cannot be canceled.
2022-3-13
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 3-13 03:13
Hi, Landey. I regret the pain you've been inflicted. If I were in your position, I would feel the same way, apologize for your unpleasant experience. Could you please tell us how much power is left in the battery when the remote control makes a beep sound? Please note:  the low battery level (6% to 10% remaining) alarm tone can be canceled by pressing the power button once. When the battery power level is less than 5%, the alarm tone cannot be canceled.

Hi Thor, God of Thunder!

If I remember right, BEEPing started at 20 % - and kept on beeping after I hit the power button (I already read about this earlier). But I'll try again today and update my statement.

Do you have any idea about WHY the controller BEEPs continuously? The user is well aware of the situation - two indicators in the display, audible signal for low battery. He can't forget about that, so that perma-blare is just senseless, raises the stress level, attracts people - and even drains the controller battery faster.
And if someone is in a scary situation ("Will I make it home?"), the constant BEEP distraction neither calms the pilot's nerves nor makes the drone return faster.
So where's the sense in that? And why does DJI refuse to correct an issue causing just drawbacks with no benefits?
Similar with RTH - I don't use that feature because of the disturbing BEEPing. WHY? I know that I called my Mini home, so why does the controller go acoustically mad and disturb the experience with alarming sounds and draw attention?

Maybe I overlooked some good reason - and I would be happy to change my mind. ;)

2022-3-13
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Hello once more! ;)

Gave it another try yesterday, it's like I remembered: Low battery warning kicks in at 20 %, it is NOT possible to mute it by tapping the power button - it just blares and blares and blares, distracts, raises the stress level and impairs your hearing.

A tiny app update would solve this problem DJI users suffer of for quite some time: If there's any acoustic signal from the remote, a quick push on the power button will mute it till the next takeoff.
As said: It's easy to do with an update - and would remove a constant nuisance.
But DJI ignored this issue, even after countless other MIni 2 users complained over 9 months and 5 pages.

Just imagine driving your car, fuel level gets low. What happens? A warning indicator will light up, with modern cars there will be an acoustic signal, a message on screen. And that's it.
If your car would start beeping at full volume without any stop, it would be the first thing you would complain about, because a permanent loud noise impairs driving safety significantly.
But still, DJI finds this a good idea.

Time to stop that, don't you agree? ;)

2022-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Would you be happy if an inspire falls out of the sky on a child’s head because of no battery power. Just because  you would have been stressed to hear the warning beep telling you that you are no longer in full control of your drone , the beeping at critical battery is to warn you that you no longer have full control of your drone and you should warn others to clear a space because a drone is going to land. It seems like the beeping is embarrassing you and so it should, if you have no respect for it . When the truck beeps people are savvy they know what to do and they keep out of the way.
2022-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Landey Posted at 3-13 23:14
Hello once more! ;)

Gave it another try yesterday, it's like I remembered: Low battery warning kicks in at 20 %, it is NOT possible to mute it by tapping the power button - it just blares and blares and blares, distracts, raises the stress level and impairs your hearing.

Ambulance drivers fire brigade police every truck driver, wow they must be seriously stressed, its a wonder they can drive at all ;+)
2022-3-21
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-21 17:53
Would you be happy if an inspire falls out of the sky on a child’s head because of no battery power. Just because  you would have been stressed to hear the warning beep telling you that you are no longer in full control of your drone , the beeping at critical battery is to warn you that you no longer have full control of your drone and you should warn others to clear a space because a drone is going to land. It seems like the beeping is embarrassing you and so it should, if you have no respect for it . When the truck beeps people are savvy they know what to do and they keep out of the way.

Hi Captain! ;)

According to the icons you don't own a Mini 2. So are you sure you know about the havoc the Mini 2 controller really wreaks?

First of all, please don't play the emotion card. In the other thread you also talk about the eyesight of children endangered by the propellers.
We all know it from our own childhood: If we brought home a catapult, a bow, an air gun - we always heard the same: "What if you shoot another child's eye out!"
And we all learned it was bogus, we never met anyone with an eye shot out. That doesn't mean it never happened, but the chances were extremely low. Such statements foster an inner fear of the addressee, also automatically put him into a defensive position, suggesting he's doing something wrong, bad and dangerous. A simple psychological trick working quite well in childhood days, because the irritating imagination of shooting an eye out sticks, and calls to taking more care. So it was a good thing. But it's just a parenting tactic targeted at little children with their sense of danger still in the development stage. Let's be clear about that. And let's be clear about talking adult to adult, agreed?
So please don't use such improper educational means of the childhood days.

Now for the matter.
Of course it's important to know that the battery is low, and of course it's important to know that the drone will come down automatically.
Of course it's important to know that the battery is low, and of course it's important to know that the drone will come down automatically.

Why did I write the same sentence thrice? Shouldn't I suppose you're clever enough to get it first time?
Of course you did. So repeating the same over and over has no positive effect at all. It's the opposite: It wastes your time and makes you feel like a) treated like an idiot, or b) reading the words of an idiot.
And that's what the constant blare from the controller also does. It repeats it's warning every single moment, a warning I understood and realized the very first time.
And it starts at 20 % battery level, regardless of the drone's distance. Nice thing because it reminds me there's not much time left for returning home and landing. I do understand that immediately, I do not need to get reminded every second.
But: If the drone is too far away from getting it home, that permablare does not help me at all. And if the drone is right in front of me, it makes no sense at all.
It's the opposite: If the drone is far away, I will seek for the best passage to return home, low and away from strong winds, maybe using groves for wind protection. I wish to be undisturbed because I need to concentrate far more than usual, risk of hitting branches or tree tops. How does PERMABLARE help in such a situation? And it's not needed at all: I know the situation, there's also screen indicators.

Similar in a situation where passer-bys get attracted by the permabeep: Your landing spot fills with people, asking questions, distracting you, also increasing the danger of hitting someone because they're just there - while they wouldn't if there wasn't that permablare.

Similar in a situation where you're completely on your own, nobody near, drone a few meters away: As soon as 20 % battery are reached, your flying fun is over - BEEP-BEEP-BEEP! There's no risk at all, you will make it safely home, you just wish to enjoy the last 20 %. You can't because your controller keeps yelling at you for no reason.

Similar if RTH is triggered: You KNOW your drone is returning. You cannot overlook the screen indicators. If it makes it home, all is fine. If it does not make it home and forcibly lands far away, your blaring controller won't warn people in the drone's vicinity. It just gets on your nerves.

So tell me where's the sense in that?

And about the ambulance sirens: What do you think - why do ambulance drivers switch off the sirens immediately if there's no imminent danger? Because sound and light distract. Drivers switch on the signals if they need to get people/cars out of the way or if they approach a crossing. That's what they're made for. For dangerous situations, not as a kind of entertainment while driving. ;)

2022-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules