No reverting from V01.02.0015. Watch video for more info.
10247 38 2022-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

FPV drone firmware V01.02.0015 apparently prevents one from reverting to earlier versions of the firmware. Make sure you really want to use this version before "upgrading."
I highly recommend FPV drone owners watch this video before upgrading.

2022-3-14
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The latest version is the 1.02.0020
Why are they talking about the 1.02.0015?
And why a youtube video for this?
Can you not communicate such simple topics with a few words?
2022-3-15
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 3-15 02:58

In a few simple words:
It's a firmware update specifically designed only to disable/remove functionality for no apparent reason, not add it or fix problems, or do anything good for you or the aircraft at all. DJI is only outfit in the world, that I know of, that specifically releases firmware updates intended only to break or cripple their products. And even on orphaned/deprecated products with no more future like the FPV drone, where it shouldn't even matter. Very strange, but DJI has always done this. Nobody knows why, only that they do it and it will cripple your aircraft. I suspect they're forced to do it by the Chinese government for some bizarre reason known only to them. But we'll probably never know.

Basically, don't plug your FPV drone into your phone or iPad ever again and just enjoy it as-is.

I say that as a fan of the FPV drone - I have 3 of them and love flying them. I only break out my Betaflight quads when the wind is over 20mph, otherwise they're my main FPV aircraft.

So I agree, do NOT load any DJI firmware that has no release notes and/or contains no bug fixes or improvements. You will regret it.
2022-3-15
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

"Can you not communicate such simple topics with a few words?"

I wasn't sure how much would be allowed.

@lucien did a good job of explaining it. I second his words.

I have two of these drones myself. I also plan not to load any DJI firmware on my drones.

I will also go far out of my way not to purchase any more DJI products.
2022-3-15
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I don't understand. What was removed by DJI in 1.02.0020? And why do you use the V01.02.0015?

Questions about questions
2022-3-15
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Just watch the video!  
Everything is explained there!  
Yes, it's a bit confusing that the so-called latest software got a lower number...
2022-3-15
Use props
CD6D
lvl.1

France

victime de la mise à jour automatique de la version 01.02.0020 vers 01.02.0015 donc bloqué sur ce firmware jusqu'à ce qu'une solution soit trouvé (ou pas apparemment !)
DJI  avec le 0015 bride les drones et les verrouille sur ce bridage.
2022-3-15
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 3-15 08:13
I don't understand. What was removed by DJI in 1.02.0020? And why do you use the V01.02.0015?

Questions about questions

As @frankymuskik said: "Just watch the video!"

And take a look at the GOGGLE UPDATE! DO NOT UPDATE thread.

IMO, this is a very big deal.
2022-3-15
Use props
CD6D
lvl.1

France

Victime de la mise à jour automatique vers la version 01.02.0015 version antérieure 0020 ! Plus de retour en arriére possible suivant un scénario préétabli par DJI. Grrrrr.
2022-3-15
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Have now looked at it (unfortunately) and do not understand the whining.
This has always been the case with hacks and not only with DJI products :-) Groundhog Day.
You could have described it in 5 sentences.

For me, this is so self-evident that I have not recognized this as a problem, laugh. But now I understand the users :-)
I'm out of here...
2022-3-15
Use props
djiuser_NL248kfvhUch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406775 ft
United States

I just open my DJI FPV brand new in the box and it wouldn't let me fly unless I upgrade to the latest firmware

I just found out there is a hard limit on the height to 500m?  I think i am about to return this drone and get my money back.
2022-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tip (although i never revert FW)
2022-3-16
Use props
DubSound
Second Officer
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you watch the video you'd find out.... Boomers today jfc
2022-3-16
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 3-15 18:33
Have now looked at it (unfortunately) and do not understand the whining.
This has always been the case with hacks and not only with DJI products :-) Groundhog Day.
You could have described it in 5 sentences.

Yes, once you become accustomed to bad software/firmware built and maintained by immature development houses like DJI, you start to think the way you do. That crippling your firmware, deceiving and confusing your customers, and making your products harder to use is a good thing. And perfectly normal and everybody does it.

Er, no. This isn't good software/firmware practice and it is not what a mature manufacturer does to their customer base if they want to stay in business.

But it's also possible that even DJI can't be this dumb. They've always done this to their firmware on their dead projects, going all the way back to the Phantom. That's why I'm thinking they're being coerced to do it, likely by the Chinese government.

It could be some kind of security concern too. DJI is a huge company now, and with drones in the spotlight around the world in terms of security, they are probably a really big target for their products being used for bad purposes. So their government may be forcing them to cripple their aircraft to try to limit them from being abused by bad actors.

That's certainly plausible, given how much paranoia surrounds drones these days. And a company as big as DJI can't be that stupid to just do these idiotic things to their products. But I could be wrong, and they really are that dumb.

We'll probably never know.
2022-3-16
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI...this topic was also further discussed in this video as well....for those looking for a little more info/background:

P.S.  Just jump ahead to position 15:07 in the video for this specific topic.
2022-3-16
Use props
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

You have not misunderstood me.
If you work with hacks, change code, no matter in which field, you never use the original software of the manufacturer.
This is the simplest basic knowledge and therefore it is not interested in what the manufacturer changes afterwards or means to prescribe.
Also, a firewall is active on all Internet-enabled devices to regulate communication. Yes, there is also a full-blown firewall on the smartphone. If one, for whatever reason is so crazy, accidentally installs the DJI software and also still starts, it would not come through the firewall.

This is the reason why I would never buy certain smartphones. But again, many whine in forums.

That a company acts as DJI, but is completely normal and no surprise. Who is really so naive?
You can whine and despair.... but you don't get very far in life that way.... nothing is perfect in life... everything consists of compromises up to the nature... it depends on how you make the best of it!

Honestly, it's already clear before you buy such products and what can/will happen.
As I said, for me this is simple basic knowledge and therefore I had not understood your problem here in the post at first.

Keep whining, but nothing will change :-) Or just change your behavior :-) Everyone has it in their own hands.... simplest basic knowledge...
2022-3-16
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 3-16 05:19
FYI...this topic was also further discussed in this video as well....for those looking for a little more info/background:

https://youtu.be/CFK9qh-EPPc

Ah that explains it. It's more of a security thing, then, looks like.
2022-3-16
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Stefan Zimmermann Posted at 3-16 06:23
You have not misunderstood me.
If you work with hacks, change code, no matter in which field, you never use the original software of the manufacturer.
This is the simplest basic knowledge and therefore it is not interested in what the manufacturer changes afterwards or means to prescribe.

Clearly you're a new user of DJI aircraft, and are unfamiliar with their history . But they'll teach you too if you stick with them, like they taught all the rest of us, who are moving on to different products. Hopefully you'll learn the lessons like we have and be richer at the end for it. You'll have to learn it the hard way, I suppose, but that's how it goes with the "noobs" sometimes.

As for the current lockdown, that the current firmware has been rooted is certainly the explanation or at least part of it. That doesn't excuse DJI's behavior, but it does at least give a plausible reason for it. Like I said, given how big DJI is and the scrutiny that drones are currently under pretty much all over the world, it at least makes sense....
2022-3-16
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

really bad move DJI, trying  to push some limiting lockdown firmwares that way.
it's really low :/ from really top of tech to low shady basement company
2022-3-16
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KREMi Posted at 3-16 10:26
really bad move DJI, trying  to push some limiting lockdown firmwares that way.
it's really low :/ from really top of tech to low shady basement company

I think you may have missed the point here.

This is  fix to prevent people from breaking the local laws in their country.

e.g. Broadcasting at levels that exceed the allowable power limit in that country.

Far from shady to prevent lawbreakers from breaking the law.

So instead of complaining to DJI, try complaining to the politicians in the EU.

2022-3-16
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-16 20:06

I beg to disagree.

I have quite a few DJI drones and I have patched them all.

Why?

First reason. When DJI first rolled out their GeoZones they deemed that my region was one of these “No Fly Zones”, when in actuality it is nothing of the sort. Since 2014 I’ve been trying to get DJI to correct this error but my pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Therefore none of my DJI drones have embedded no fly zones.

Second reason. The RF power levels, especially those used for video transmission. There are some circumstances where I’m permitted to use up to 400Watts on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I often use 10watts or more on these frequencies for both terrestrial and satellite comms. I have all  my drones set to operate at FCC power levels, not because I want increased range and to fly BVLOS, but because I want a strong radio connection in built up RF noisy areas for safety.

So if I were to revert to this nefarious FW release my DJI drones would effectively be less use than landfill.

As lucines above has said some of us have moved to other manufacturers for our builds, but while I still have usable batteries I want to use my DJI products how I want, and where I want, while still complying with the laws and regulations.
2022-3-17
Use props
djiuser_aDkuXeYEdt4t
lvl.1
Hong Kong

It's ridiculous, but if I buy a car, will the performance be limited by the factory because of local road restrictions?
Like the example above, a lot of people buy this drone because of its performance, but DJI absurdly limits performance and is very unethical
2022-3-17
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 3-16 20:06

Actually, _nobody_ knows what's really in this update but DJI. That's the entire point. There's no documentation of it on DJI's site, or any honest information given to us at all. All we really know is it has just suddenly appeared with no announcement. Is there a release note with it? Well, we have to take the risk of locking it onto our device by plugging into the Fly app to find out, don't we?.

Much, much worse, it's actually an _older_ revision number, not a newer revision.  With no documented improvements, that you're _forced_ to downgrade to and once it's on your equipment, you can't get it off.

Are there bug regressions that accompany going back to this older revision number? And if so, what are they? Only DJI knows and they're not telling their customers. The only way we could find out is to load it onto our aircraft and go take the risk ourselves. And just hope something nasty or dangerous didn't come back. Or some new nasty, dangerous bug didn't appear either.

There's no way to spin this as a good thing for anyone who updates to it. You're less informed than before, you have an older firmware locked onto your device, there are no documented improvements and there may be bug regressions that accompany the older revision.

2 + 2 always equals 4, no matter how you try spin it....

2022-3-17
Use props
Valzam
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Comprei baterias novas, coloquei no drone e pedi para atualizar, atualizei, junto com ele atualizei o drone para essa versão 0015, além de não querer a atualização do drone, as baterias novas não estão funcionando no drone, as luzes piscam em vermelho, alguem passou por isso ? desculpe meu inglês não é tão bom, não posso voltar para 0020? minha aeronave 0015, meu controler 0000, meus googles 0020, isso não parece estar correto, seria por isso que minhas novas baterias não funcionam

v01.02.0015

2022-3-19
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

By the way, folks who fly the Air Unit/Vista should probably go ahead and get their units updated to 606 now too. Since it's almost certain this lockdown is going to be coming for the Air Unit side of the firmware too. Buy what units you need and can find in stock now and get everything updated and then never plug them in again....
2022-3-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

luciens Posted at 3-21 04:40
By the way, folks who fly the Air Unit/Vista should probably go ahead and get their units updated to 606 now too. Since it's almost certain this lockdown is going to be coming for the Air Unit side of the firmware too. Buy what units you need and can find in stock now and get everything updated and then never plug them in again....

Any idea about flight logs?

I like seeing my flight data on Airdata.com. It's pretty windy here in Idaho at times it's fun to see the computed windspeeds.

I'm hoping there's a way I can still transfer logs without worrying about an automatic update being loaded.
2022-3-21
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 3-21 16:04
Any idea about flight logs?

I like seeing my flight data on Airdata.com. It's pretty windy here in Idaho at times it's fun to see the computed windspeeds.

No idea, I haven't ever used the flight logs. I just updated my last Air Unit today so that's the last DJI item I ever plug into my computers ever again .
2022-3-21
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Nidge Posted at 3-17 02:33
I beg to disagree.

I have quite a few DJI drones and I have patched them all.

What are these circumstances, I am not aware of any exceptions to the RF Spectrum laws in the UK?

There are some circumstances where I’m permitted to use up to 400Watts on 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
2022-3-25
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

luciens Posted at 3-17 03:50
Actually, _nobody_ knows what's really in this update but DJI. That's the entire point. There's no documentation of it on DJI's site, or any honest information given to us at all. All we really know is it has just suddenly appeared with no announcement. Is there a release note with it? Well, we have to take the risk of locking it onto our device by plugging into the Fly app to find out, don't we?.

Not trying to be a contrarian but the logic is not wrong.

Spending years in the SW business reverting back release levels if a bug was introduced is not uncommon.

So what DJI did is consistent with this approach. If the bug has been outstanding for some time preventing earlier version of them being used, is also quite normal to ensure full bug lockout.

The real issue here is not that DJI have repaired a flaw. It has removed an unintentional security exposure that has been leveraged by some operators.

Maybe you people don't realise what damage a root exploit can do to DJI and the industry?

So far the exploit has been used to your benefit. But what happens when the bad actors gain access to your drone for malicious damage?

What then?
2022-3-25
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 3-25 02:00

Spending years in the SW business reverting back release levels if a bug was introduced is not uncommon.

Having said what I said, I agree that that's probably ultimately the rationale for the lockdown. I mean, that's sensible, especially with a high-profile product like a drone, where 99% of the planet hates them and wants to shoot at them with shotguns and such.

But then again, that's the risk you take when you make a product that 99% of the planet hates and wants to shoot at with shotguns. You have to be prepared to take that risk, just like your customers do. Hobbling your product doesn't stop the bad actors, and it only cripples your law-abiding and well-behaved customers.

But that goes into the argument about personal responsibility and all that, which is a whole other topic....
2022-3-25
Use props
fansebae
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7672598 ft
  • >>>
Canada

bjr981s Posted at 3-25 02:00

Playing a boring game of chess can make you doze off, head falls on the table, pointy bishop goes through your eye cavity straight to brain.... Only to discover, while taking your last breath, the opponent who invited you to a game is a bad actor and making the game boring was intentional...

What then?

I think chess should be prohibited.

(FUD tactic has been used for too long and has become a norm in modern society)
2022-3-25
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-25 01:48
What are these circumstances, I am not aware of any exceptions to the RF Spectrum laws in the UK?

There are some circumstances where I’m permitted to use up to 400Watts on 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I hold an amateur radio license that allows for up to 400Watts on these allocations where the ISM, license exempt, allocation overlaps the primary and secondary user allocations. I also posses a Notice of Variation that permits me to use up to 1500Watts for experimental and research purposes.
2022-3-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Nidge Posted at 3-27 00:51
I hold an amateur radio license that allows for up to 400Watts on these allocations where the ISM, license exempt, allocation overlaps the primary and secondary user allocations. I also posses a Notice of Variation that permits me to use up to 1500Watts for experimental and research purposes.

Your amateur radio license does not allow you to broadcast at that level in that spectrum.

That spektrum is used by Commercial operators that you are swamping.

Your drone, your risk, I'm not here to police your use. Thats up to you.

But complaining that a company has introduced updates to provide greater public safety and protect their intellectual capital (Root Hack exposing their Software) is a bit much.

Do you have the same carefree attitude with drink driving?
2022-3-27
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fansebae Posted at 3-25 14:52
Playing a boring game of chess can make you doze off, head falls on the table, pointy bishop goes through your eye cavity straight to brain.... Only to discover, while taking your last breath, the opponent who invited you to a game is a bad actor and making the game boring was intentional...

What then?

Wake up dude the world is spinning under your feet.
2022-3-27
Use props
fansebae
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7672598 ft
  • >>>
Canada

bjr981s Posted at 3-27 05:16
Your amateur radio license does not allow you to broadcast at that level in that spectrum.

Intellectual capital? Not even theirs to begin with.
There's GPL'd code widely used in DJI products. Under GPL, for sales or distribution, the entire source code needs to be made available to end users, including any code changes and additions.
2022-3-27
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-27 05:16

This is a copy of my regular amateur radio license schedule. Note the allowed power limits for the 2.4GHz and 5.GHz allocations.

2022-3-28
Use props
g0FK80eILlD0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2867 ft

Italy

now, the question is:
HOW COMEBACK to 0020 from the 0015 ??

who is able to do a kind problem solving and make downgrading  from the v0015 to the v0020 ??
2022-4-15
Use props
mbze430
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406775 ft
United States

g0FK80eILlD0 Posted at 4-15 01:58
now, the question is:
HOW COMEBACK to 0020 from the 0015 ??

people are working on it.  testers ran into some issue hopefully some time soon it will be available to downgrade.
2022-4-15
Use props
fans589fd806
New
Flight distance : 31450 ft
United States

I can’t update my goggles and can’t use my drone. Dji fly app forced me to download firmware 01.02.0015 but it never ends. It reached 313% and then a connection error appeared. I tried to do it through the dji assistant app in my MacBook but it didn’t recognize the drone or the goggles. Any help will be much appreciated
2022-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules