Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I got a Complaint from CAA
123Next >
1637 81 2022-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

So after so many videos and drones of flying in South Africa, i moved to New Zealand for 2 and half years and get my first complaint against me to CAA. Some douch bag has nothing better to do and went and copied links to my videos and my youtube channel and sent it to CAA saying they are not happy. The CAA person was very nice and polite and explained the rules to me and asked if i am aware of these rules which i am. I apologised for having videos showing flying over a few houses and have removed those videos BUT come on, dont some people have a life than to complain about others.

The video they highlighted the most was the 1st Mastershots video i had done on the Mavic 3 when the feature was put in to test. Too my surprise they did not complain about the Autel videos which showed me flying over houses and that was my clue as to who the culprit is.
2022-3-14
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately, whenever you put content out there for the public there will always some miserable person whose life sucks and wants to bring others into their misery.  I’ve been in your shoes as well with our equivalent government regulators here in the US called the FAA.  
2022-3-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

KlooGee Posted at 3-14 18:06
Unfortunately, whenever you put content out there for the public there will always some miserable person whose life sucks and wants to bring others into their misery.  I’ve been in your shoes as well with our equivalent government regulators here in the US called the FAA.

2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Tell me about it
2022-3-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am not seeking to start an arguement, this post is just to present an alternative viewpoint on the matter.

The vantage point of readily available airborne shots is relatively new.
Drones put cameras up in the air where they can now readily get views that would previously have only been possible via trespass or with really 'long' lenses. Near enough the realm of Peeping Tom's.
If someone was stood out side your house with a camera & 600mm lens pointed at your house what would the reaction of most people's be?
I'd bet that to most members of the public a drone is simply a camera with unrestricted views of their home and garden etc., few may realise that with the fairly short focal length of the normal drone lenses we are not able to see the pimple's on their rear end when they are sun bathing.
It might be worth while pointing out to 'concerned neighbour's that we, as a general rule, can not see such things with our drones.

2022-3-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

sorry to hear this happened to you.  this type of stuff makes me angry, too.
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-14 18:41
I am not seeking to start an arguement, this post is just to present an alternative viewpoint on the matter.

I know right, some people think our drones can see through their walls while flying 70 meters over their houses at 50km/h
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

The Saint Posted at 3-14 18:46
sorry to hear this happened to you.  this type of stuff makes me angry, too.
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

AerialZup Posted at 3-14 18:59
I was at a park once where my friend was flying his mini 2 over a lake. A lady came over and physically pushed him saying that “drones spy on people”. He was taking photos of the changing leaf colors of the trees in a remote area. Some people are just pathetic.

Thats true, they see a drone and its a KGB spy there
2022-3-14
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I once flew my Mp2 over a pontoon boat curiously wandering outside the marked channel. The fat boat "pilot" flipped the drone off. So I swung around and took a look at the other side of the boat where the "wife" was seated. She gave me a big thumbs up and waved. It's all about attitude I guess.
2022-3-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 3-14 18:47
It actually made me wiser on how to beat the system

what are you going to do for the next incident when you get a ticket in the mail which says pay $9,000 or show up in court in october?

you can beat the system....until you can't.
2022-3-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am not seeking to start an arguement, this post is just to present an alternative viewpoint on the matter.

except that isn't true.  the same thing happened with cellular phones.  people had cameras in their phones which never could spy on someone up close and everyone knew it but it still doesn't stop people for wanting their privacy.  if you stood on the street at someone's mailbox and you aimed a cellphone camera at their front door, they will be upset.  they will always be upset.  not because they don't want you to see something in particular (up close) but because they don't think you have to right to record them and you didn't get their permission or consent.  it doesn't matter if your camera is a good one or not, they don't want you to record them.  showing them blurry footage may help diffuse a confrontation but it doesn't address the privacy question.  in any case, you'll never convince anyone you can't see anything in detail.  that's like the government telling everyone their satellites can't see people.  that's like someone holding a pair of binoculars but claiming they are low powered and can't really make out the details.  "oh, ok go ahead and look at my property from across the street with your low powered telescope."

the state of missouri is trying to pass a ridiculous law related to this, i'm concerned this could spread:  https://dronedj.com/2022/03/04/m ... people-or-property/
2022-3-14
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup Posted at 3-14 18:59
I was at a park once where my friend was flying his mini 2 over a lake. A lady came over and physically pushed him saying that “drones spy on people”. He was taking photos of the changing leaf colors of the trees in a remote area. Some people are just pathetic.

My reply to her would be: "People are the most interesting subjects, do you not agree?"
2022-3-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 3-14 20:03
except that isn't true.  the same thing happened with cellular phones.  people had cameras in their phones which never could spy on someone up close and everyone knew it but it still doesn't stop people for wanting their privacy.  if you stood on the street at someone's mailbox and you aimed a cellphone camera at their front door, they will be upset.  they will always be upset.  not because they don't want you to see something in particular (up close) but because they don't think you have to right to record them and you didn't get their permission or consent.  it doesn't matter if your camera is a good one or not, they don't want you to record them.  showing them blurry footage may help diffuse a confrontation but it doesn't address the privacy question.  in any case, you'll never convince anyone you can't see anything in detail.  that's like the government telling everyone their satellites can't see people.  that's like someone holding a pair of binoculars but claiming they are low powered and can't really make out the details.  "oh, ok go ahead and look at my property from across the street with your low powered telescope."

the state of missouri is trying to pass a ridiculous law related to this, i'm concerned this could spread:  https://dronedj.com/2022/03/04/missouri-debates-privacy-bill-to-ban-drones-photographing-people-or-property/

The proposed bill will be entirely toothless, how can you prove the drone pilot photographed anything? Also, bear in mind that the states have no jurisdiction over airspace, only the FAA can enact and prosecute laws over where you fly.
2022-3-14
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a Karen in every neighborhood, unfortunately.  However, they do make for some great stories.
2022-3-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-14 20:23
The proposed bill will be entirely toothless, how can you prove the drone pilot photographed anything? Also, bear in mind that the states have no jurisdiction over airspace, only the FAA can enact and prosecute laws over where you fly.

agreed, the bill is the completely silly but there are states like missouri that will do whatever they want until they are told to stop.   we'll see if it passes and if the drone community wants to fight it; i doubt it.
2022-3-14
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Wow! I didn't know in New Zealand you couldn't fly over houses? Is that the same everywhere as it seems almost everybody has videos flying over houses at some point?

This is one of the troubling things with the Tele lens I guess is just going to take someone filming a neighbour using the drone at max tele  to capture "something" the neighbour shouldn't be doing or doing in their own privacy and oh oh drone pilots everywhere are now peeping toms and spying on the public.

The hobby doesn't need that. Makes me wonder am I able to fly above my house (with full view of other houses) and take shots of cool clouds and landscapes?

Anyway sorry to hear this Suren but good the CAA was in educate mode.
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

TonyPHX Posted at 3-14 20:25
There is a Karen in every neighborhood, unfortunately.  However, they do make for some great stories.

Too many Karens in this world.
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bussty Posted at 3-14 21:05
Wow! I didn't know in New Zealand you couldn't fly over houses? Is that the same everywhere as it seems almost everybody has videos flying over houses at some point?

This is one of the troubling things with the Tele lens I guess is just going to take someone filming a neighbour using the drone at max tele  to capture "something" the neighbour shouldn't be doing or doing in their own privacy and oh oh drone pilots everywhere are now peeping toms and spying on the public.

Apparently because the MasterShots video showed that my drone when doing it went over other houses, that is illegal and that Karen went and sent the links to the CAA with some of my other videos showing me flying over the town here.
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bussty Posted at 3-14 21:05

This is one of the troubling things with the Tele lens I guess is just going to take someone filming a neighbour using the drone at max tele  to capture "something" the neighbour shouldn't be doing or doing in their own privacy and oh oh drone pilots everywhere are now peeping toms and spying on the public.

Oh and they said I am within 4km of the local hospital which is an NFZ but it does not show in the fly app. I downloaded and checked Airshare and it is there. She said I can fly shielded if I want or get Part 102 but that costs over 5K, rather just leave drones
2022-3-14
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Suren Posted at 3-14 21:27
Oh and they said I am within 4km of the local hospital which is an NFZ but it does not show in the fly app. I downloaded and checked Airshare and it is there. She said I can fly shielded if I want or get Part 102 but that costs over 5K, rather just leave drones

Ouch, yes I'm within 4km of the Airport but shielded thank goodness but sounds like I'm good to fly just over my property.  Yes $5K just a little bit to just fly over your house!  

Have you got any tall trees / pylons within 100m of your property plus a natural barrier between you and the Hospital? You might be shielded???
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bussty Posted at 3-14 21:46
Ouch, yes I'm within 4km of the Airport but shielded thank goodness but sounds like I'm good to fly just over my property.  Yes $5K just a little bit to just fly over your house!  

Have you got any tall trees / pylons within 100m of your property plus a natural barrier between you and the Hospital? You might be shielded???

Plenty of house between me and the hospital and tallest tree is like 10 meters high  
2022-3-14
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Suren Posted at 3-14 21:48
Plenty of house between me and the hospital and tallest tree is like 10 meters higher than my house, she said that's the highest I can go but said do not post any videos showing houses, edit them out first, hint hint

Suren how come you are now living in a field????  :-)
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bussty Posted at 3-14 21:49

I bought a farm
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bussty Posted at 3-14 21:49

After winning the $20 million lotto on Wednesday
2022-3-14
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Suren Posted at 3-14 21:51
After winning the $20 million lotto on Wednesday

Now that would be cool! I see quite a few videos from people living on stunning farms who can fly when/where they like. A little bit envious....
2022-3-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bussty Posted at 3-14 21:54
Now that would be cool! I see quite a few videos from people living on stunning farms who can fly when/where they like. A little bit envious....

Yeah, my new farm starts at Whangarei and ends in Christchurch, Might need to go to ANZ for a loan to top it up lol
2022-3-14
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You started a very interesting discussion, really!

I've also been trying for a long time to understand the arguments of all those involved / affected...
Not everyone can understand the joy that we drone pilots have in getting completely new perspectives of our surroundings / environment, and the (tiny small) details are only "marginal phenomena" that we don't care about at all!

This wonderful overview, the bird's eye view, a childhood dream...!!!   

2022-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Should have told her the drone was under 250g. . How would they know.
2022-3-15
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 3-15 00:40
Should have told her the drone was under 250g. . How would they know.

Suren you better start stripping out the EXIF data from your posts!  
2022-3-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ever since a hysterical press began to demonize drones, our harmless hobby has seen knee-jerk reaction from the authorities keen to show that they are doing something about it - and using a sledgehammer to crack the nut along the way.  Pardon my levity. And there are any number of killjoys out there only too happy toscream "foul"  and stir up trouble for their own gratification, when no actual harm is likely to be caused.
2022-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are google earth maps photos that literally show into the front rooms of many homes, but nothing is really ever said about it. Strange…
2022-3-15
Use props
Renames
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4232851 ft
Australia

I was at my local lake a few months looking at a sinking boat - I was out there on behalf of police just to ensure no one was actually on the boat (there was not-it was just stuck on a mooring).. The cop that was with me heading back to his car to radio in the report.. During this time some husband and wife came over and accused me of taking picture of there kids to sell on the dark webs - snatched my controller off me and threw it in the lake..

They got arrested and i got a new drone
2022-3-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Renames Posted at 3-15 01:14
I was at my local lake a few months looking at a sinking boat - I was out there on behalf of police just to ensure no one was actually on the boat (there was not-it was just stuck on a mooring).. The cop that was with me heading back to his car to radio in the report.. During this time some husband and wife came over and accused me of taking picture of there kids to sell on the dark webs - snatched my controller off me and threw it in the lake..

They got arrested and i got a new drone

Why did you get a new drone?
Did it not RTH when the controller was turned off?
2022-3-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-15 01:05
There are google earth maps photos that literally show into the front rooms of many homes, but nothing is really ever said about it. Strange…

Probably true but the owners of those front rooms may well be unaware that their rooms are on display. Plus google probably remove them if requested to do so, I believe they blur the street view image if requested.
2022-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-15 03:26
Probably true but the owners of those front rooms may well be unaware that their rooms are on display. Plus google probably remove them if requested to do so, I believe they blur the street view image if requested.

Yes but I’m not sure they have to unless in Sweden maybe, but I imagine they take a different approach.

However I do see your point. Flying drones has become a scourge for those who are not familiar with them. I believe its up to us like drone communities for instance to try portray a better side to Drones.
Try fly in places that don’t interfere with others. Flying a drone at the beach on a busy day close to or over people shouldn’t be done, its no different than riding  scramblers up and down a beach on a busy day. Its just not on.

Drones have a bad name and it won’t improve until we show that they are not for the purpose of what many people believe they are.

And on the other side joe public has a problem, they should first approach the operator before the wasting peoples time. This will give an opportunity to the operator to find out he’s causing them a problem and give him a chance to explain. Busy bodies don’t make things any better for anyone.
2022-3-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-15 03:47
Yes but I’m not sure they have to unless in Sweden maybe, but I imagine they take a different approach.

That's well said, and mirror's my approach.  I try and be a good ambassador for the hobby.  I don't encourage any new pilots to fly when there's a risk of agitating people, even when the laws support the flight.

If there's a bunch of kids playing soccer (football) in the park, it's not a good day to fly in the park.  I won't personally fly over private properly, I won't "track" people in craft (boats or such) who have not given me permission to do so.  I will not fly over space where I can't legally go to retrieve the drone if it goes down.

The more drones agitate the pubic, the more restrictive the laws that govern our hobby will become.

All that being said, there is a well established (in US LAWS) reasonable expectation of privacy and lack of privacy when in public spaces, and it is not reasonable for people in public spaces to expect that they cannot be included in photographs.
2022-3-15
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-14 20:25

Ah yes, but you can't just go after the "Karens".....don't forget, we have the "Kevins" too!
2022-3-15
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

It sucks we live in a taddle tale world.   Who in their right mind calls athorities on some one for flying a drone.  wtf.  A loser with no drone.  Or a geek with a drone.  I don't know.  Can't these people go pickup golf or something.  damn.  
2022-3-15
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules