Drone refuses to land after firmware update
1137 14 2022-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Samhottinger
lvl.1
United States

I updated the firmware on our Phantom 4 rtk on Monday. Since then we have had 3 flights where it comes down to land and stops an inch off of the ground and refuses to land. It will go up, down side to side but not down. Any help would be appreciated.
2022-3-15
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

If you keep the throttle stick at a minimum, theoretically after two or three seconds it should go down. Otherwise try to recalibrate the vision system. I use a landing target, mainly to avoid dirtying the drone and the camera, but also I notice that with this target it does not refuse to land as you describe. Which is not always the case on grass for example. PGYTech drone landing pad.
2022-3-15
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just an inch? Never seen that. I've seen P4Rs and others get weird a foot or so off the ground due to obstacle avoidance freakouts, but never so close to the ground.
2022-3-15
Use props
Samhottinger
lvl.1
United States

It hangs there until the battery dies.
2022-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Disable the downward sensors
2022-3-15
Use props
Samhottinger
lvl.1
United States

The last flight I shut off the downward senors as it was landing. It landed but didn't shut down and took off again.
2022-3-15
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

This sounds like yet another post-firmware update issue of many, from completely non-op aircraft to out of sync but unsyncable fw versions among RC, AC, & D-RTK 2, to camera issues, and more.

I've held off doing the latest fw update and encourage others to do likewise.
2022-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Samhottinger. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to fly your DJI Phantom 4 RTK to a different location and lighting to see if the issue will persist? In addition are you receiving any error message on the DJI application when this is happening? Thank you.
2022-3-15
Use props
Samhottinger
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-15 20:07
Hello there Samhottinger. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to fly your DJI Phantom 4 RTK to a different location and lighting to see if the issue will persist? In addition are you receiving any error message on the DJI application when this is happening? Thank you.

We did. It still refused to land.
2022-3-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

It looks like it will have to be sent for repair. Maybe your local DJI dealer can help you out with a replacement P4R during repairs. Some stores have a demo/renting unit.
2022-3-16
Use props
Samhottinger
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-15 20:07
Hello there Samhottinger. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to fly your DJI Phantom 4 RTK to a different location and lighting to see if the issue will persist? In addition are you receiving any error message on the DJI application when this is happening? Thank you.

I calibrated the system yesterday and the issue improved. We only had 2 flights that it refused to land. I turned off the downward Vision Positioning and was able to take control and land. I don't see any error messages on the controller.
2022-3-17
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Good to hear. Just to verify- this issue started immediately after the firmware update. The P4R was performing normally in every way prior to the update, correct?

And are you flying w/ GS RTK? Or SDK controller w/ another app?

Thanks, just trying to document things for everyone's reference.
2022-3-17
Use props
Samhottinger
lvl.1
United States

patiam Posted at 3-17 07:29
Good to hear. Just to verify- this issue started immediately after the firmware update. The P4R was performing normally in every way prior to the update, correct?

And are you flying w/ GS RTK? Or SDK controller w/ another app?
Yes everything was fine before the update, and we are using the controller that came with the drone and using GS RTK.
2022-3-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Samhottinger Posted at 3-17 03:52
I calibrated the system yesterday and the issue improved. We only had 2 flights that it refused to land. I turned off the downward Vision Positioning and was able to take control and land. I don't see any error messages on the controller.

Hi there Samhottinger. Thank you for the reply and if you have any other concerns or any issues with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all her to help and assist you. Thank you.
2022-3-19
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-19 20:49
Hi there Samhottinger. Thank you for the reply and if you have any other concerns or any issues with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all her to help and assist you. Thank you.

Hi there DJI Stephen. Thank you for your reply and if you have any information regarding how DJI is addressing the many reported post-install issues with the latest P4R firmware update. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all eager to her DJI's solution to these problems. Thank you.
2022-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules